Trump Administration Unveils Plan To Allow States To Buy Drugs From Canada

g5000

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2011
This is an idea which has been batted around for at least two decades.

The original idea was to allow seniors to buy cheaper drugs from Canada.

Now, in order to woo Florida voters, Trump is talking about allowing Florida to buy their pharma drugs from Canada.

This all sounds like a really great idea, until you stop and THINK for a minute.

Population Canada: 37.59 million

Over 65 population, US: 49.2 million

Population Florida: 21.3 million

See the problem?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/heal...l&utm_source=Newsletter&wpisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1

The Canadian government has fiercely pushed back against importation proposals, warning that the drug supply for Canada’s 37 million residents cannot possibly fulfill the demands of the much larger U.S. market and that allowing importation would cause severe drug shortages for Canadians.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/heal...l&utm_source=Newsletter&wpisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1
I thought Trump was the best deal maker. Buying drugs in another country doesn't make any sense.

The Canadian government has fiercely pushed back against importation proposals, warning that the drug supply for Canada’s 37 million residents cannot possibly fulfill the demands of the much larger U.S. market and that allowing importation would cause severe drug shortages for Canadians.

I thought Trump was the best deal maker. Buying drugs in another country doesn't make any sense.
On the surface, it sounds like a great idea. But once you think about it for a few seconds, it becomes obvious there are major obstacles.

Canada's tiny population does not have the supply for a massive US demand.

So you are saying that allowing seniors to save any money is a bad thing because they all have so much money and of course they don't really spend that much on pharmaceuticals.

So I could be wrong here but if Canada does not want to do it they could stop it. Last I knew they can set their own laws.
If the drug companies saw that a large part of their business was buying cheaper drugs they might actually might consider dropping their prices.
Mexico allows people to purchase drugs at low prices from that country. The problem is there is no guarantee that the drug is pure or even the drug as there is not the same laws ruling pharmacies in Mexico.

Not seeing the issue. If the US allows it's US citizens access to Canadian pharmaceuticals, Canada could just ban Canadians selling pharmaceuticals to the United States.

This is called putting Americans first...it looks weird to dems because they never do that...they put other nations first...Trump also is forcing hospitals and doctors to show costs for treatment and testing...another way of putting the American people first....dems used to subscribe to that idea...I guess no longer....

Not seeing the issue. If the US allows it's US citizens access to Canadian pharmaceuticals, Canada could just ban Canadians selling pharmaceuticals to the United States
That would be very risky since they buy most of their drugs from US companies....Trump holds the power....

So you are saying that allowing seniors to save any money is a bad thing because they all have so much money and of course they don't really spend that much on pharmaceuticals.
Did you take a hit off a crack pipe before the voices in your head made that up?

Not seeing the issue. If the US allows it's US citizens access to Canadian pharmaceuticals, Canada could just ban Canadians selling pharmaceuticals to the United States
That would be very risky since they buy most of their drugs from US companies....Trump holds the power....

Yep, that is why the US needs to do it, it puts pressure on Canada and the pharmaceutical companies, and in short and long term could help out millions of our citizens.

Yep, that is why the US needs to do it, it puts pressure on Canada and the pharmaceutical companies, and in short and long term could help out millions of our citizens.
I Agree....we the people of the United States have been carrying the burden of drug R&D for far too long...its time we share that expense with the rest of the world...How did Obama Bush and Clinton allow us to be screwed so badly with drug costs?....why did they allow us be stuck with the cost to develop new medicine when the rest of the world gets off Scott free?...I never understood that....

So I could be wrong here but if Canada does not want to do it they could stop it. Last I knew they can set their own laws.
If the drug companies saw that a large part of their business was buying cheaper drugs they might actually might consider dropping their prices.
Mexico allows people to purchase drugs at low prices from that country. The problem is there is no guarantee that the drug is pure or even the drug as there is not the same laws ruling pharmacies in Mexico.
Purity. The US market has that problem now. Most generics come from India.

This is an idea which has been batted around for at least two decades.

The original idea was to allow seniors to buy cheaper drugs from Canada.

Now, in order to woo Florida voters, Trump is talking about allowing Florida to buy their pharma drugs from Canada.

This all sounds like a really great idea, until you stop and THINK for a minute.

Population Canada: 37.59 million

Over 65 population, US: 49.2 million

Population Florida: 21.3 million

See the problem?

Go back to shaving Putin's Balls Troll. That's your calling.
giphy.gif

I Agree....we the people of the United States have been carrying the burden of drug R&D for far too long...its time we share that expense with the rest of the world...How did Obama Bush and Clinton allow us to be screwed so badly with drug costs?....why did they allow us be stuck with the cost to develop new medicine when the rest of the world gets off Scott free?...I never understood that....

Me either, if big pharma sells it cheaper, then it needs to be to their own country and not other countries, let other countries pay the higher cost and give our citizens a break. I have often wondered why Presidents and Congress have allowed their constituents to be trampled on. The only reason I can come up with is lobbyists and payoffs.

Did you take a hit off a crack pipe before the voices in your head made that up?
Lol. You really do need better material. Maybe ask your mom for some.

What happened to the America 1st agenda? Did/will it change to CanAM then?

What happened to the America 1st agenda? Did/will it change to CanAM then?
Lol. Are you thinking that America should cut off all ties with the outside world? Do away with trade with other nations? Not allow its citizens to travel to other countries? Sounds more like you want North Korea.

Forum List

Back