Triple-Play, probable "clean-sweep" in Virginia 2013

Statistikhengst

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2013
deep within the statistical brain!!

The Virginia Board of Elections has declared Mark Herring (D) the winner of the extremely close Attorney General race from November 5, 2013, which means that the Democratic Party had a clean-sweep in 2013 GE. The state elections board decision (a bipartisan board) was unanimous.

Here the still "inofficial" tallies, from the VA SOS website.

In a couple of months, this link will probably be defunct, when the race is moved to the archives, so for this reason, a screenshot of the race as well:

Virginiaunofficialresults2013-11-026_zpsbb9a2a41.png

The margins:

Gov: Terry McAuliffe (D), +56,435 votes, a +2.52% margin.
Lt. Gov: Ralph Northam (D), +232,898 votes, +10.58% margin
AG: Mark Herring (D), +165 votes, +0.007% margin.

Republican Mark Obenshain has 10 days to decided whether to apply for (and pay for) a recount, under Virginia law.

From the WAPO link:

"Obenshain did not immediately call for a recount, but he has set up a transition team, and his campaign issued a statement Monday noting that there have been four statewide elections across the country since 2000 with margins within 300 votes — three of which were reversed by recounts."

Some STATS:

1.) This is the first time in 40 years that the same party as the President's party captured the Gubernatorial mansion in Virginia, breaking a 36 year old paradigm.

2.) Terry McAuliffe's lean +2.52% win is the third leanest win in the VA Gubernatorial since 1953. You can see the calculations for those 16 election cycles HERE.

3.) This is one of maybe two times where the same party won the Gubernatorial and the Lt. Gubernatorial in VA, but the gubernatorial margin was leaner. I am researching this right now.

4.) This also looks like the only time where more votes were cast for AG than for Lt.Governor - but I am researching that as well.

5.) Voter participation was higher than predicted and in terms of raw numbers for the Virginia Gubernatorial cycle, broke the previous raw vote records.

6.) Polling predicted a McAuliffe win, but the end-polling average was 5 points higher than the actual result. What happened? Well, the topline average was just right, but 3% of the voters statewide who were indicating in polling that they would vote for Sarvis (L) changed their minds and shifted their vote for Cuccinelli (R), which moved the bottom-line up and reduced McAuliffe's winning margin. Speaking of Sarvis, his statistic is the best showing for a third party candidate in VA since 1965. Unfortunately, for about another year, we will not know exactly for sure what the margin is - it is likely to be changed again, which means it is likely to go up. Between election night 2012 and the final canvasses, Obama's margin in Virginia increased by 1.2 points. Wait and see.

5.) The county electoral map of the McAuliffe win from November 5th, 2013 is almost identical to the county electoral map of Obama's win in the GE of 2012. The exit polling shows most all of the same values as well, which means that the so-called "Obama coalition", sometimes also called the "Coalition of the ascendent", held, and that in an off year. Black voters were 20% of the electorate, just as they were in Virginia in the 2012 GE. As soon as the final canvasses have been submitted to the congressional archives, I will do a county map compare, but the election of 2013 statistically proves without a shadow of a doubt that the growth in NOVA has shifted VA from being a traditionall "RED" state to being a true battleground state.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Obama won this traditionally GOP Southern state twice. McAuliffe is a close personal friend of the Clintons. With McAuliffe in the Governor's mansion in VA, Hillary's chances of retaining the Old Dominion for the Democratic party just rose, just as Jeb Bush (R-FL) helped his brother win Florida in 2000 and in 2004.

Should the AG results change again, then I will report them.

Feel free to comment or add any pertinent data.

Last edited:
Hopefully, Mark Herring's lead holds up and increases.

Wait and see. Wait and see. Suspense!!!
Since Gore Vs. Dope, these recounts give drama to elections, (and no, I'm not arguing Gore should have won). It proves every vote can count.

The other thing since Gray Davis that's interesting is the recall elections (which I oppose in principle, even when the guy being recalled is someone I dislike). I always hope that people get drawn to voting because of these things, much to my dismay.

Last edited:
  • Banned
Hopefully, Mark Herring's lead holds up and increases.

Wait and see. Wait and see. Suspense!!!
Since Gore Vs. Dope, these recounts give drama to elections, (and no, I'm not arguing Gore should have won). It proves every vote can count.

The other thing since Gray Davis that's interesting is the recall elections (which I oppose in principle, even when the guy being recalled is someone I dislike). I always hope that people get drawn to voting because of these things, much to my dismay.

I am generallly not a big fan of recall elections, on the whole. The voters made a decision, they are supposed to be adults, and if an elected officiall really bombs, there is an easy way to correct that problem: the next regularly scheduled election. IMO, recalls have too much of the feel of "redo just cause I don't like what we all voted for" about them.

I think the worst part of Recall Elections is that they discourage the politicians from making a decision with long-term implications. They are just thinking not only of the next election, but that they could be recalled now.

• Banned
And the recount of the AG race is over: Mark Obenshain (R) has conceded to Mark Herring (D).

Republican concedes defeat in Virginia attorney general race | Reuters

From the recount, Herring's lead has actually increased.

Clean Sweep for the DEMS in Virginia, after all.

I promised to come back and report on this, should it come to a recount.

Word given. Word kept.

And the recount of the AG race is over: Mark Obenshain (R) has conceded to Mark Herring (D).

Word given. Word kept.

No worries, nutters. Virginia is an historically deep blue....flaming lib state. You'll sweep the rest of the nation next year. You could run toasters against Obamacare and win big!!

Word given. Word kept.

No worries, nutters. Virginia is an historically deep blue....flaming lib state. You'll sweep the rest of the nation next year. You could run toasters against Obamacare and win big!!

Uhuh....

Ok, Ladies and Germs, that was our daily moment of electoral snark, brought to us this time by LongLaughter!!!

:)

Terry McAuliffe was sworn-in today as Virginia's 72nd Governor:

Terry McAuliffe Sworn In As Virginia Governor

McAuliffe sworn in as Virginia governor - The Washington Post

Clinton ally Terry McAuliffe sworn in as 72nd governor of Virginia | World news | theguardian.com

From the WAPO link:

Former president Bill Clinton and former secretary of state Hillary Rodham Clinton, close friends of the McAuliffes, were among the biggest names at the ceremony.

The Clintons, who arrived shortly after noon, were greeted with big cheers from the crowd, including “Go, Hillary!” — an apparent reference to the former first lady’s consideration of another run for president. The Clintons smiled and waved as they made their way to the front row.

Huma Abedin, another longtime Clinton associate, was also in the crowd. Her husband, former congressman and unsuccessful New York mayoral candidate Anthony Weiner, was not seen at the event.

During the nine weeks since his election, McAuliffe has ardently courted Republicans and selected moderate Cabinet members. As a former Democratic National Committee chairman and renowned political fundraiser, McAuliffe worked to project an image of bipartisanship and seriousness.

“In Virginia, political progress in divided government is a tradition that we must continue,” McAuliffe said during his inaugural remarks. “I will work to live up to that tradition.”

At the top of McAuliffe’s list of goals is the expansion of Medicaid under the Affordable Care Act, a measure that Republicans adamantly oppose.

The state is definitely kosha now!

It is a shame what has happened to the home of the American hero Robert E Lee.

You mean Racist Traitor Robert E. Lee?

Damn. Stupid on a whole new level.

Lee was a patriot to his home state of Virginia. This during a time when a man's state was his true domain. Virginian first. American second. As it still should be. The Republic of the UNITED STATES.

Learn some history before shooting your mouth off and looking like a damn fool.

Abraham Lincoln was a racist as well, he didn't believe blacks should vote or be allowed to marry Whites. In fact, if JWB hadn't assassinated him, he would have deported the black population to Africa and the Caribbean.

Treason is an American value. The United States was founded by traitors to the British Crown.

Like I said before, it is a shame, a shame what the old Republic has become...

Lee was a patriot to his home state of Virginia. This during a time when a man's state was his true domain. Virginian first. American second. As it still should be. The Republic of the UNITED STATES.

Oh, look, another angry Conservatiive.

I am shocked.

And the irony of the statement, the irony...

Lee was an asshole who took up arms against his fellow Americans so a few rich douchebags could continue to own other people.

No, Stupid on a whole new level is...

Fighting a war you cannot possibly win over an institution that is morally bankrupt.

Which probably describes each and every asshole who fought in the CSA.

But because we got so many people in the South who don't want to think their Great-Great-Grandpappy was an asshole they ought to be fucking embarrassed over, we keep soft-selling what the Civil War was- Treason and stupidity of the first order.

Second special election this week in VA for a state senate seat vacated by one of the Democratic winners. Democrats need to win both to control the VA state senate.

In the first election, the Democrat won by 9 votes. A recount is still in progress.

So, second election, anything can happen. Democrat-leaning district, but Republicans have an advantage in low-turnout special elections.

It just goes to show you that you can make a triple play and still lose the game. At least 55 seats were up in the Va. House of Delegates and republicans kept their overwhelming majority of about 67 - 32. Republicans also hold a slim majority in the state Senate. Democrat hack McAuliffe will be a lame duck before he takes office.

It just goes to show you that you can make a triple play and still lose the game. At least 55 seats were up in the Va. House of Delegates and republicans kept their overwhelming majority of about 67 - 32. Republicans also hold a slim majority in the state Senate. Democrat hack McAuliffe will be a lame duck before he takes office.

So, you have a situation in Virginia very similar to the national situation:

One party in control of the Executive.
The opposition party in control of the lower House of the Legislative.
The incumbent party (likely) in control of the upper House of the Legislative.

I have no problem with that kind of control. It is called "Democracy".

But you appear to have problems with control, namely, control of your own emotions.

Tsk, tsk.

Forum List

Back