Trigger Warnings

Doug1943

Platinum Member
Jan 3, 2016
This whole 'trigger warning' stuff has developed outside my own sphere of experience. But as I read about 'trigger warnings', I kept thinking, "Surely, this is parody. These kids are having us on. No one could really want 'safe spaces', or to be warned that something that might upset is in a certain book or play. Seriously?!"

Anyway, here is something to make you smile, from the wonderful Bill Maher:

And a plea to Leftists here. Could you please explain your side of the story here? Or are you embarrassed by all this silly nonsense? Does anyone really believe in it???

Warnings are for pussies. I never give a warning when I'm about to trigger a leftist.

IMO, I believe trigger warnings tried to make it mainstream a decade ago, but they are as silly as trying to make regular everyday folks, having to announce their gender, to seem inclusive of trans folks.

They never really went anywhere, past the uber left.

The only place anyone really still sees or hears trigger warnings is on PBS and NPR. Self-righteous screw balls.

:auiqs.jpg:

The fact that it has taken a decade for Mahr to come out against something that is so dated? Probably a lack of idea to talk about. . .

I give Bill another five years before he is so at a loss for funny material, he'll finally go full Alt-right.

The main people going too far are basically, in my opinion, higher education (12-16), the mainstream media, Madison Ave. advertisers/entertainment complex, and some members of the Democratic Party that would suggest something as ridiculous as that would be necessary. It's annoying, but it doesn't affect me, although my own opinion is they cause more backlash against than anything positive towards whatever grievance they are concerned with.

Aha. There are still sensible liberals, after all.

As for Maher's evolution. As I recall, during the initial years of the Iraq invasion, he absolutely skewered my side. It was painful for us to hear him.

And he was right to do so. We -- my side -- should have listened to the guy then. And sensible Leftists ought to listen to him now, even if he makes them uncomfortable. (It's true that American politics provides so much comic material for free, from both sides of the barricades, that people like him may get lazy. Occupational hazard.)

Forum List

Back