Travelling in Russia - before the year 2014

i have been to Russia three times before 2014 and could tell of my time there.

Many times -- well into double figures . St P to the west , Sochi to the south and Ykaterinburg at the Asia /Europe notional divide , plus many , many other cities and areas . Have watched a middle class emerge and seen an amazing prosperity rise. The people have a very high educational achievement system , are very intelligent and aspirational and tremendously hospitable . I never chose to learn their language but always travelled and moved around with people who were fluent English speakers though English is widely spoken . Privately most middle class and more affluent people think westerners are generally ill informed and not very clever . Naturally , I took "our" side and tried to show them how in the short term that was a likely inevitable fact but that huge cultural changes will occur once travel becomes even more widespread and the voices of the under 30s become more audible . That is , once they become infected with western "materialism " diseases .Have not been for nearly five years due to Covid etc etc and then the current war situation . Things might have changed considerably.Could easily live in Sochi because of sea , food , drink advantages and generally lower cost of living though Sochi itself is at St P and Moscow high price levels for property and top end products-- They "all" drive new black BMWs and black Range Rovers etc etc .

I have been specially to Perm near the Ural and to Krasnodar in the Caucasus.

I could tell you a little about my "adventures" in Russia.

One adventure was like this:
"Lost in the endless Russian forest, at midnight".

Another adventure:
How I travvelled by the Transsib by mistake.

Once I took the Trans-Sib by mistake, from Kungur to Perm, without knowing at first that the train I had entered was the Trans Sib.
I had only a very simple ticket that looked more like a tiny tramway ticket.
The conductor said: "What's this? I have never seen such a ticket in my life! Please follow me to the conductors' compartment ..."

I have written a few short stories, about this case and my other adventures in Russia.
They are all in German, so I can't copy and paste them here.

But I could translate just the headlines in English, to give you some idea.

Can it be that I am the only one in the whole forum who has ever been to Russia?

The girls aren't always cold and unfriendly.
Easy to make that sort of quip but it is far from representative . But women know they outnumber men very significantly and where required they behave appropriately .

@ the churches of Kungur

Most of the churches there have been turned into prisons.
A sorry sight.

But one church I found there that had been given back to the Russion Orthodox Church.
When I saw it in 2003, it was still a building site.

But when I returned there in 2012, it had become a wonderfully beautiful church.

@ Lost in the endless Russian forests, around midnight

It was like a Swedisch Midsommernight, so it was not totally dark.
And I met a few friendly Russians, how tried to help me find my way back.

I asked them about a certain adress.
They did not know exactly where that was.
But always gave me to understand, that I was in the right direction.

Until finally I was there, a bit late, but there.

Once I took the Trans-Sib by mistake, from Kungur to Perm, without knowing at first that the train I had entered was the Trans Sib.
I had only a very simple ticket that looked more like a tiny tramway ticket.
The conductor said: "What's this? I have never seen such a ticket in my life! Please follow me to the conductors' compartment ..."

I have written a few short stories, about this case and my other adventures in Russia.
They are all in German, so I can't copy and paste them here.

But I could translate just the headlines in English, to give you some idea.

What did you and him do back there? Fag much?
Please follow me to the conductors' compartment ..."

Forum List

Back