Sorry if the lawyer had an inflated sense of self-importance and the misconception that he could do and say whatever he wanted.

He didn’t have that ability … No matter how much he hated them.
They are working for the public … But they are working as much for me as they are for him.

The best advice I could give him is … Don’t be a dick.
Even reading his one-sided convoluted pity party story ... They didn't hold him up any longer than he wanted to be a dick about it.

If you want to get home to your children, don't give someone the opportunity to make that happen, take any longer than it has to.
If you want to pretend you are special, and cry to world about the mess you made ... I'm sure some nit-wit will come running to your defense.

File a complaint if you feel the need ... You'll probably get more response you like, to the story of your stupidity, than from the complaint department ... :thup:
The reading comprehension skills of the bulk of the respondants here leaves a lot to be desired.

The link to the complaint page isn't for me.

Good to know airport security are doing their job.

And since the UK has become a hot bed of Islamic terror plotting, terrorism and the exporting of same, it’s a good idea to be vigilant with people traveling from the UK, even though it was apparently a random selection.

The same thing has happened to me even though I’m a blue eyed blonde. I gave them attitude so they gave me attitude. They were only doing their job and that should be respected.

“I got harassed at the airport by Customs and Border Patrol. Good thing I’m a lawyer—in the Trump era, others aren’t so lucky.”

Being a lawyer with attitude doesnt mean he can extrapolate thus and doesn’t mean he gets to evade proper screening.

Good job, airport security!

Last edited:
Awww some snowflake got treated like an ordinary American citizen and didn't like it.

I was flying from Los Angeles to Las Vegas. I knew the search protocol and wore flip flop beach shoes thinking no one would make me take them off. The black woman not only told me to take my shoes off, but smirked as she did so. After I got through screening I went to put my flip flops on and she told me I had to go to a different area. Smirking all the way, she enjoyed my barefoot journey. This is the way people act when given permission to be assholes.

Last edited:
Sorry if the lawyer had an inflated sense of self-importance and the misconception that he could do and say whatever he wanted.

They are working for the public … But they are working as much for me as they are for him.

Even reading his one-sided convoluted pity party story ... They didn't hold him up any longer than he wanted to be a dick about it.

If you want to get home to your children, don't give someone the opportunity to make that happen, take any longer than it has to.
If you want to pretend you are special, and cry to world about the mess you made ... I'm sure some nit-wit will come running to your defense.

File a complaint if you feel the need ... You'll probably get more response you like, to the story of your stupidity, than from the complaint department ... :thup:
The reading comprehension skills of the bulk of the respondants here leaves a lot to be desired.

His article indicates that he has an inflated sense of self and an entitlement issue. It’s just not sensible to display such attitudes in circumstances such as these - for ANYBODY - including lawyers.

Never said it was "you".
Any time I used the word "you" ... Was after I specifically stated what my advice to "him" would be.

If you want to be a dick about reading comprehension ... We can do that ... Dick ...:thup:
The only reference I may have made to you in particular after that ... Is if you want to claim to be one of the "nit-wits" I identified as running to his defense.

Last edited:
Traveling While Muslim: The Case of the Exploding Chocolate

I got harassed at the airport by Customs and Border Patrol. Good thing I’m a lawyer—in the Trump era, others aren’t so lucky.

After a week of exhausting travel in London, I wanted nothing more than to see my wife and children.

Customs and Border Patrol at Dulles had other plans.

On Aug. 6, I landed on UA919 from Heathrow to Dulles wearing my Ahmadiyya Muslim Community logo-embroidered press jacket. I cleared passport control with my Global Entry card, and called an Uber as I headed for the exit.

That’s when Customs and Border Protection, as one of the officers I encountered put it, “randomly selected” me for additional screening. What I experienced next involved harassment, threats of further interrogation, allegations that I was non-compliant and breaking the law, an attempt to confiscate my travel documents and childish stalling tactics — all courtesy of officials hired to protect Americans like me.

There’s a deep irony of my experience with the CBP that day. At an extremely busy Dulles airport, the CBP interrogation hall was virtually empty. A middle-aged white woman in a ponytail singled me out of the crowd.

“Hi sir, can I check your passport?” she asked.

I took a deep breath and quietly handed her my passport.

She flipped through my passport and asked without looking up, “Where did you travel and for how long?”

“UK. One week.” I showed no emotion.

“OK sir, you’ve been randomly selected. Follow me.”

I let out an exasperated sigh. It wasn’t the first time I’d been “randomly selected”—an experience that’s all too common among my fellow Muslim Americans.

We walked into the vacant interrogation room. “Sir, have you handled any livestock while in the UK.”

“No.”

“Are you smuggling any fruits or vegetables, seeds, things of that like?”

“No.”

“OK sir, place your luggage on the X-Ray belt and pick them up on the other side.”

I complied without saying a word and walked to the other side to await my luggage.

My luggage appeared and the CBP agent remarked, almost disappointed, “Well, your luggage cleared. You can go.”

I grabbed my things to walk away, grateful that the ordeal was over after my now second screening since landing. Bizarrely, another CBP officer walked up—a male.

“What’s the problem here?” the man asked.

“Nothing. I’m leaving,” I responded, eager to get home to my family.

He wasn’t satisfied. “Why are you giving us attitude?”

Confused as to what his question had to do with anything, I responded bluntly, “Can I go now?”

“No,” he snarked. “I need to check your bag again.”

I let out another sigh, but complied.

As I set my bags back on the steel counter, I added, gesturing toward his colleague, “Look, I have Global Entry. This officer checked my things. She cleared me. What’s the issue?”

The second CBP officer didn’t respond. Instead, he opened my bag and took out the chocolate I had brought from London for my children.

“What's this?” he asked, as if he’d never seen chocolate before.

“It’s … chocolate.”

“Where’d you buy it?”

“Heathrow. Here’s the receipt.” (When I’m traveling, I always keep receipts, especially of what I buy at airports, for this very purpose.)

“OK,” he said. “We have to do an explosives check.”

Now I was getting frustrated. “My kids’ chocolate is a matter of national security now?” I asked. “Seriously?”

“I’m opening this chocolate whether you like it or not.”

He proceeded to rip up the chocolate with a pocketknife. Apparently that’s the CBP test for explosives. (Spoiler alert: The chocolate, a bar of Cadbury Dairy Milk, was non-explosive.) I stood there with a blank look on my face.

“OK, you can go,” he finally conceded.

Grateful my third screening was finally over I grabbed my things to dash out as fast as possible—but not fast enough. Another CPB officer approached us.

“Sir we’re just doing our jobs.”

“Yeah, I’ve heard that before. Bye.” I turned to walk away and yet again was instructed to stop despite having been cleared now three times. I complied and turned around.

“Give me your Global Entry card.”

“OK...” I said quizzically. I handed him my card.

“I'm confiscating this.”

“Why?”

“Because you’re being non-compliant.”

“Pardon? I’ve been cleared three times now. How am I non-compliant?”

“You mocked us for checking your chocolate for explosives.”

“Well, yeah, I mean ... seriously? And you didn’t answer. How was I non-compliant?"

“You’re breaking the law.”

“What? How? Asking a third time. How am I non-compliant? What law have I broken?”

Rather than answering, he walked away. I called out, “I’d like to speak with your supervisor please.”

“He is the supervisor,” one of the other CBP officers responded.

“Then I want to speak to his supervisor,” I shot back.

I asked at least five more times: How, exactly, I was non-compliant?

I knew I was on camera being recorded. Everyone knew. They would have to prove somehow that I hadn’t complied—when in fact I clearly had.

No one answered.

Still, my mind began to wander. What if he doesn’t return my ID card? What if they arrest me? These are the same people who are ripping migrant children from their parents and throwing them in latter-day concentration camps—there’s no telling what they can do to a minority this president has tried to ban from entering the country.

As I sat there and maintained an external calm, inside I was furious that this blatant discrimination and profiling persisted under the guise of “security.”

Finally, a fourth CBP officer approached me, followed by the officer who took my Global Entry card.

"I’m the supervisor on duty. So you think because you have Global Entry you’re exempt from screening?”

“What? No. I said I’ve been screened and cleared three times so far. But despite that, your officer took my Global Entry card and said I’m being non-compliant. And he said that I’ve broken the law. But he refuses to give me any example of non-compliance or cite what law I’ve broken. Please explain this to me.”

The supervisor turned to the confiscating officer and asked, “Why’d you stop him?”

“Well, he was laughing at us.” (It’s true, I did chuckle in disbelief. Guilty as charged.)

“But did he refuse orders?”

“No, I mean, he harassed us.”

I didn’t yell at this point, but I raised my voice. “This is ridiculous. You have the power. You’re detaining me. You have my property. But somehow I’m harassing you? What? Do you hear yourself?”

I turned back to the supervisor. “I’m asking for about the 10th time now. How was I non-compliant and what law did I break?”

“Well those are his words—not mine,” the supervisor said. Now we were getting somewhere.

“Great, so you won’t even stand by your own officer’s words. Meanwhile, you have my Global Entry card. I’m still detained. Why am I still here, then?” At this point, facing my fourth screening since landing, I wasn’t about to let the supervisor off without answering me.

I think what we have here is a bunch of TSA officials that are having a bad day.
Either that or you were doing something that raised a red flag.

One thing I know for sure, if you act like you're being put upon or inconvenienced, they will only inconvenience you even more.
That's acting like pricks. They don't get to get away with it, either. Why should they, just because they've got a badge?

I got harassed at the airport by Customs and Border Patrol. Good thing I’m a lawyer—in the Trump era, others aren’t so lucky.

After a week of exhausting travel in London, I wanted nothing more than to see my wife and children.

On Aug. 6, I landed on UA919 from Heathrow to Dulles wearing my Ahmadiyya Muslim Community logo-embroidered press jacket. I cleared passport control with my Global Entry card, and called an Uber as I headed for the exit.

That’s when Customs and Border Protection, as one of the officers I encountered put it, “randomly selected” me for additional screening. What I experienced next involved harassment, threats of further interrogation, allegations that I was non-compliant and breaking the law, an attempt to confiscate my travel documents and childish stalling tactics — all courtesy of officials hired to protect Americans like me.

There’s a deep irony of my experience with the CBP that day. At an extremely busy Dulles airport, the CBP interrogation hall was virtually empty. A middle-aged white woman in a ponytail singled me out of the crowd.

She flipped through my passport and asked without looking up, “Where did you travel and for how long?”

I let out an exasperated sigh. It wasn’t the first time I’d been “randomly selected”—an experience that’s all too common among my fellow Muslim Americans.

We walked into the vacant interrogation room. “Sir, have you handled any livestock while in the UK.”

“No.”

“No.”

“OK sir, place your luggage on the X-Ray belt and pick them up on the other side.”

I complied without saying a word and walked to the other side to await my luggage.

My luggage appeared and the CBP agent remarked, almost disappointed, “Well, your luggage cleared. You can go.”

I grabbed my things to walk away, grateful that the ordeal was over after my now second screening since landing. Bizarrely, another CBP officer walked up—a male.

Confused as to what his question had to do with anything, I responded bluntly, “Can I go now?”

As I set my bags back on the steel counter, I added, gesturing toward his colleague, “Look, I have Global Entry. This officer checked my things. She cleared me. What’s the issue?”

The second CBP officer didn’t respond. Instead, he opened my bag and took out the chocolate I had brought from London for my children.

“It’s … chocolate.”

“Where’d you buy it?”

“Heathrow. Here’s the receipt.” (When I’m traveling, I always keep receipts, especially of what I buy at airports, for this very purpose.)

Now I was getting frustrated. “My kids’ chocolate is a matter of national security now?” I asked. “Seriously?”

He proceeded to rip up the chocolate with a pocketknife. Apparently that’s the CBP test for explosives. (Spoiler alert: The chocolate, a bar of Cadbury Dairy Milk, was non-explosive.) I stood there with a blank look on my face.

Grateful my third screening was finally over I grabbed my things to dash out as fast as possible—but not fast enough. Another CPB officer approached us.

“Yeah, I’ve heard that before. Bye.” I turned to walk away and yet again was instructed to stop despite having been cleared now three times. I complied and turned around.

“I'm confiscating this.”

“Why?”

“Well, yeah, I mean ... seriously? And you didn’t answer. How was I non-compliant?"

“What? How? Asking a third time. How am I non-compliant? What law have I broken?”

Rather than answering, he walked away. I called out, “I’d like to speak with your supervisor please.”

I knew I was on camera being recorded. Everyone knew. They would have to prove somehow that I hadn’t complied—when in fact I clearly had.

No one answered.

Still, my mind began to wander. What if he doesn’t return my ID card? What if they arrest me? These are the same people who are ripping migrant children from their parents and throwing them in latter-day concentration camps—there’s no telling what they can do to a minority this president has tried to ban from entering the country.

As I sat there and maintained an external calm, inside I was furious that this blatant discrimination and profiling persisted under the guise of “security.”

Finally, a fourth CBP officer approached me, followed by the officer who took my Global Entry card.

"I’m the supervisor on duty. So you think because you have Global Entry you’re exempt from screening?”

“What? No. I said I’ve been screened and cleared three times so far. But despite that, your officer took my Global Entry card and said I’m being non-compliant. And he said that I’ve broken the law. But he refuses to give me any example of non-compliance or cite what law I’ve broken. Please explain this to me.”

The supervisor turned to the confiscating officer and asked, “Why’d you stop him?”

“Well, he was laughing at us.” (It’s true, I did chuckle in disbelief. Guilty as charged.)

I didn’t yell at this point, but I raised my voice. “This is ridiculous. You have the power. You’re detaining me. You have my property. But somehow I’m harassing you? What? Do you hear yourself?”

I turned back to the supervisor. “I’m asking for about the 10th time now. How was I non-compliant and what law did I break?”

“Well those are his words—not mine,” the supervisor said. Now we were getting somewhere.

“Great, so you won’t even stand by your own officer’s words. Meanwhile, you have my Global Entry card. I’m still detained. Why am I still here, then?” At this point, facing my fourth screening since landing, I wasn’t about to let the supervisor off without answering me.

I think what we have here is a bunch of TSA officials that are having a bad day.

One thing I know for sure, if you act like you're being put upon or inconvenienced, they will only inconvenience you even more.
That's acting like pricks. They don't get to get away with it, either. Why should they, just because they've got a badge?
Of course they get away with it, according to the article.

“No.”

“No.”

“It’s … chocolate.”

“Where’d you buy it?”

“I'm confiscating this.”

“Why?”

No one answered.

Why should a guy pass through security at the airport without being inspected just because he's in a hurry?

^^^^^^^^very non-specific FART IN RESPONSE

Why should a guy pass through security at the airport without being inspected just because he's in a hurry?

The whole episode occurred because of the way the lawyer viewed his inconvenience.

Randomly selected simply means there are no set protocols for the selection process.
That in no way means that if you are Muslim ... You won't be selected.

The more you travel ... The greater chance you will be selected.

Good to know airport security are doing their job.

And since the UK has become a hot bed of Islamic terror plotting, terrorism and the exporting of same, it’s a good idea to be vigilant with people traveling from the UK, even though it was apparently a random selection.

The same thing has happened to me even though I’m a blue eyed blonde. I gave them attitude so they gave me attitude. They were only doing their job and that should be respected.

“I got harassed at the airport by Customs and Border Patrol. Good thing I’m a lawyer—in the Trump era, others aren’t so lucky.”

Being a lawyer with attitude doesnt mean he can extrapolate thus and doesn’t mean he gets to evade proper screening.

Good job, airport security!
Like hell they were only doing their jobs, the first agent cleared him, so everything that occured thereafter was intentional, petty and unprofessional as well as retaliatory harassment.

Custom & Border Patrol agents are federal law enforcement officers, the people the United States have the right to expect them to act in the professional manner that their position requires.

CBP Officer is a career ladder position with a grade level progression of GS-5, GS-7, GS-9, GS-11, and GS-12. You will be eligible for a promotion to the next higher grade level (without re-applying) once you successfully complete one year in each grade level, with supervisor approval. For example if you started as a CBP Officer in December 2018 you could:
  • Start as a CBP Officer in December 2018 as a GS-5 and make $40,154 per year
  • Be promoted in December 2019 to GS-7 and make $54,845 per year
  • Be promoted in December 2020 to GS-9 and make $70,258 per year
  • Be promoted in December 2021 to GS-11 and make $84,660 per year
  • Be promoted in December 2022 to GS-12 and make $95,437 per year

Never said it was "you".
Any time I used the word "you" ... Was after I specifically stated what my advice to "him" would be.

If you want to be a dick about reading comprehension ... We can do that ... Dick ...:thup:
The only reference I may have made to you in particular after that ... Is if you want to claim to be one of the "nit-wits" I identified as running to his defense.
Cease with the name calling.

Like hell they were only doing their jobs, the first agent cleared him, so everything that occured thereafter was intentional, petty and unprofessional as well as retaliatory harassment.

Acting like a dick when people are simply doing their job is not a sensible strategy when it comes to security, as many people here can attest to, myself included. This is a direct result of terrorism and 9/11.
One cannot be too careful.

The whole episode occurred because of the way the lawyer viewed his inconvenience.

Randomly selected simply means there are no set protocols for the selection process.
That in no way means that if you are Muslim ... You won't be selected.

The more you travel ... The greater chance you will be selected.

true-----but IF you are muslim----you are far more LIKELY to be
INDIGNANT

Forum List

Back