Trader Joe’s Rejects Walmart Strategy

must be were you live or if you like the place or not and if your honest about it.....were i am at they are higher.....not a lot to make a difference.....Whole foods is high enough to make a difference.....but they are worth going to every now and then....

Ever had cashew butter? TJ has it. Fantastic stuff but not for 8 dollars a jar.

yes i have.....where did you pay 8 a jar at?....

Trader Joes...didn't pay that much...just saw it there. I was in San Antonio one time at a conference and we went to a place called Central Market (never heard of the chain) and saw it there cheaper and bought it. The TJ's episode occurred later. Maybe there was a shortage or something...

Small jar too.

Nooooo, they're known for having problems with recalls, and it's based on their supply network.

I'm a chef, who's worked in the industry for years, and belong to several industry organizations. I get monthly literature from them that lists retailers, wholesalers, and suppliers in the industry, and lists recall notices...TJ's is a frequent name on those lists, particularly on the VOLUNTARY lists......Ya' see, it's not about customer service, customer satisfaction, or how they treat their employees, it's about an underbelly in the industry that most consumers never know about, unless it's highly publicized.

But then, you obviously started this thread to try and score cheap political points, in an effort to pump up your dream of liberal utopia, but, that doesn't mean there are those up here who won't chime in with what they may know.....And, based on what I know, there are certain things I would never consider buying at TJ's.....Just the same as I know things about certain popular chain restaurants, that would cause me to never eat at them under any circumstances.

If fair wages and benefits for employees is "liberal utopia" then I guess that's where we should ALL be.

As it is you and I have to subsidize Walmart's employees so that must be YOUR idea of a neo-con utopia?
Walmart pays their employees a fair wage, and provides them benefits....No one is forcing them to work there, nor is Walmart REQUIRED to provide any benefits....If the employees aren't happy with their pay or benefits, they can leave, it's as simple as that.

And, you really don't seem to understand that you and I would end up subsidizing, no matter what, through higher prices, and that consumers who have a need to account for every penny they spend, would end up paying higher prices......You also don't seem to understand that Walmart and TJ's are completely different types of operations, with completely different mission statements, despite being in the retail business.....Thereby meaning, that the companies operate in a different fashion on every level.

Sooooooo, go ahead and rail against Walmart until the cows home, nobody is forcing you to shop there.....And if you choose to shop at TJ's, pay a higher price on certain items, and in many cases on certain food items sacrifice quality, go for it....It's a free country, it's your choice.

No.
If you don't shop there, you do not pay the higher prices. So you subsidize nothing.
If you don't shop there and they pay their employees poorly, you do subsidize their employees through your taxes.

Shhh :eusa_shhh:......Don't tell Wicked Jester. He's under some insane idea that Trader Joes has poor quality. Only we know he's full of shit.

The only thing he's eating right now is some crow.
Nooooo, they're known for having problems with recalls, and it's based on their supply network.

I'm a chef, who's worked in the industry for years, and belong to several industry organizations. I get monthly literature from them that lists retailers, wholesalers, and suppliers in the industry, and lists recall notices...TJ's is a frequent name on those lists, particularly on the VOLUNTARY lists......Ya' see, it's not about customer service, customer satisfaction, or how they treat their employees, it's about an underbelly in the industry that most consumers never know about, unless it's highly publicized.

But then, you obviously started this thread to try and score cheap political points, in an effort to pump up your dream of liberal utopia, but, that doesn't mean there are those up here who won't chime in with what they may know.....And, based on what I know, there are certain things I would never consider buying at TJ's.....Just the same as I know things about certain popular chain restaurants, that would cause me to never eat at them under any circumstances.

If fair wages and benefits for employees is "liberal utopia" then I guess that's where we should ALL be.

As it is you and I have to subsidize Walmart's employees so that must be YOUR idea of a neo-con utopia?

Never quite understood the opposition to Wal Mart when Target does the same exact thing. There is a dime's worth of difference between Wal Mart and Target, Big Lots, Best Buy, Sears, Office Max, Staples, Office Depot, Home Depot, Lowes, TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Ross, JC Penny, Macy's, etc...

Why is it you guys get it up for Wal Mart but not these other poorly paying employers?

For you Neo-Cons who think that a company can only get by if it screws its workers....this one's for you!!

Rejecting Walmart Strategy, Trader Joe?s Pays Employees A Living Wage And Wins | Addicting Info

I don't shop at Walmart or buy pizza from Papa Johns. Their merchandise and food sucks and they treat their employees like shit.

WalMart doesn't cater to pretentious snobs, they are making it possible for all the poor people you pretend to care about to buy better groceries than any Trader Joe's I have ever been in, and give them lower prices. You prefer to shop where they cater to assholes, which is understandable.

Sorry to burst your bubble but Walmart does NOT have lower prices than say, Costco, which pays it's employees a wage that does not require you and me to subsidize with welfare benefits.

That might explain why I did not compare WalMart to CostCo. For one thing, CostCo makes more money off of the memberships it sells than it does the products on their shelves. They rely on people buying a membership and not shopping there, which neither Trader Joe's or WalMart does. Since we are talking about stores being beneficial for poor people here, not how convenient they are for rich people, we will stick with Trader Joe's, which just recently bought into the anti science craze that so popular among the pretentious jerks that don't want poor people to have easy access to food.

Thanks for making my point about you being a pretentious snob though.

Have you noticed how these smaller companies that treat their employees better are SO MUCH better quality than the shitty mega ones who treat their employees like shit?

Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Costco, QuickTrip, all are far better than the WalMart and Shell/BP stations. Employees are friendlier, nicer, more competent. Their products are better. Same with pizza. Dominoes and Papa Johns are always shitty, sloppy pizzas. Local pizza shops are far better, and they treat their people better. Same with Applebees. Shitty food, shitty service.

Walmart pays their employees a fair wage, and provides them benefits....No one is forcing them to work there, nor is Walmart REQUIRED to provide any benefits....If the employees aren't happy with their pay or benefits, they can leave, it's as simple as that.

And, you really don't seem to understand that you and I would end up subsidizing, no matter what, through higher prices, and that consumers who have a need to account for every penny they spend, would end up paying higher prices......You also don't seem to understand that Walmart and TJ's are completely different types of operations, with completely different mission statements, despite being in the retail business.....Thereby meaning, that the companies operate in a different fashion on every level.

Sooooooo, go ahead and rail against Walmart until the cows home, nobody is forcing you to shop there.....And if you choose to shop at TJ's, pay a higher price on certain items, and in many cases on certain food items sacrifice quality, go for it....It's a free country, it's your choice.

No.
If you don't shop there, you do not pay the higher prices. So you subsidize nothing.
If you don't shop there and they pay their employees poorly, you do subsidize their employees through your taxes.

Yes you do. If WalMart employees dont make shit and dont have insurance, we'll subsidize their car and welfare through government. If WalMart paid their employees enough to keep them off welfare, and gave them health insurance, we wouldnt have to subsidize the entitlements to their employees. Whether you shop there or not.

No.
Yes.....you'll still end up paying higher prices, because the competeing grocery chains would no longer have an incentive to keep their prices lower, in an effort to compete with Walmart's prices.

And, Walmart pays their employees what they are worth, period....If the employees don't like the pay or benefits package, nobody is holding a gun to their head and forcing them to work there.

I give my business to whoever offers the best prices and quality. I don't give a crap about how they treat their employees, that's none of my business. They don't have to work there if they're unhappy. I don't make my shopping decisions based on the quality of life of the people working there. I'm sure they're not the least bit concerned about the quality of MY life.

No.

Yes you do. If WalMart employees dont make shit and dont have insurance, we'll subsidize their car and welfare through government. If WalMart paid their employees enough to keep them off welfare, and gave them health insurance, we wouldnt have to subsidize the entitlements to their employees. Whether you shop there or not.

That was the very point I was making in response to WJ's "I'm subsidizing them when I shop there"

No.
Yes.....you'll still end up paying higher prices, because the competeing grocery chains would no longer have an incentive to keep their prices lower, in an effort to compete with Walmart's prices.

And, Walmart pays their employees what they are worth, period....If the employees don't like the pay or benefits package, nobody is holding a gun to their head and forcing them to work there.

And you guys wonder why you have an image problem :eusa_whistle:

Shhh :eusa_shhh:......Don't tell Wicked Jester. He's under some insane idea that Trader Joes has poor quality. Only we know he's full of shit.

The only thing he's eating right now is some crow.

Ill back you here as another professional WJ...... TJ's is ALWAYS at the top of the list for recalled product....and DO carry they worst quality products... at the best prices of course.

TJ is about hype and marketing...... they want the most money they can get for shit packaged nicely. The public would do better buying walmart generic then anything from TJ.

i would not shop at TJ if my life depended on it.... and taking into account the track record of the quality of product TJ does carry as TJ items... my life may just depend on it.

No.

Image problem.......over telling the turth? I've been working for almost 40 years now. Out of that time, I've had maybe two very short term shitty jobs. Know why I've only had two? Because I found something better as quick as possible and left. Anyone can do it.

Have you noticed how these smaller companies that treat their employees better are SO MUCH better quality than the shitty mega ones who treat their employees like shit?

Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Costco, QuickTrip, all are far better than the WalMart and Shell/BP stations. Employees are friendlier, nicer, more competent. Their products are better. Same with pizza. Dominoes and Papa Johns are always shitty, sloppy pizzas. Local pizza shops are far better, and they treat their people better. Same with Applebees. Shitty food, shitty service.

So... what would you want Walmart to do?
Follow the Trader Joe's CostCo model? Where there are less then 30 employees per store.
Walmart has an average of 245 employees per store.
So Walmart changes to match Trader Joe's and Costco letting all but 25 employees go.
As a result Walmart will NOT be paying $6 billion in federal payroll taxes on behalf of the 1.9 million employees they let go.
Who will make up the $6 billion in payroll taxes the government counts on as GENERAL REvenue!
Also 1.9 million unemployed get $58 billion unemployment checks... WHERE will that money come from.. CostCo/Trader Joes???
Finally the 1.9 million laid off employees contributed $45 billion a year to the GDP... think that will be lessened?

No.

Nooo, we're just not buying into the bullshit Union propoganda that all libprogs buy into....And that is what it all boils down to.

Ya' see, it's not up to you or anybody else to decide what Walmart pays, or what benefits they provide....It's up to Walmart to decide what their employees will be paid, and what benefits they provide.....And the fact of the matter is, Walmart pays their employees a fair wage, for what their jobs are worth.

Image problem.......over telling the turth? I've been working for almost 40 years now. Out of that time, I've had maybe two very short term shitty jobs. Know why I've only had two? Because I found something better as quick as possible and left. Anyone can do it.

Yes...phrasing it as a positive would be a good start. Phrasing it with "nobody is holding a gun to your head" is vintage POS (Party Of Stupid).

For example "If those who are employed by Wal Mart are unhappy, they should strive to get greater training and work their way up within the store or outside of the company. There are plenty of opportunities in the world's largest retailer."

Instead of "Tough shit, loser."

It takes about 30 more calories but conservatives are seldom willing to exert the effort which is why you've lost 5 of the last 6 popular votes nationwide.

Nooo, we're just not buying into the bullshit Union propoganda that all libprogs buy into....And that is what it all boils down to.

Ya' see, it's not up to you or anybody else to decide what Walmart pays, or what benefits they provide....It's up to Walmart to decide what their employees will be paid, and what benefits they provide.....And the fact of the matter is, Walmart pays their employees a fair wage, for what their jobs are worth.

Trader Joes is unionized? Costco is Unionized? Who knew?

Follow the Trader Joe's CostCo model? Where there are less then 30 employees per store.
So Walmart changes to match Trader Joe's and Costco letting all but 25 employees go.
As a result Walmart will NOT be paying $6 billion in federal payroll taxes on behalf of the 1.9 million employees they let go.
Who will make up the $6 billion in payroll taxes the government counts on as GENERAL REvenue!
Also 1.9 million unemployed get $58 billion unemployment checks... WHERE will that money come from.. CostCo/Trader Joes???
Finally the 1.9 million laid off employees contributed $45 billion a year to the GDP... think that will be lessened?

You do understand how walmart destroys the local mom and pop bussiness went they enter a small town dont you? they were prolly paying a better wagea and benifits and then when walmart moved in they closed up shop and their employees went and worked for them.I have seen it happen all across the midwest and south.

Yes...phrasing it as a positive would be a good start. Phrasing it with "nobody is holding a gun to your head" is vintage POS (Party Of Stupid).

For example "If those who are employed by Wal Mart are unhappy, they should strive to get greater training and work their way up within the store or outside of the company. There are plenty of opportunities in the world's largest retailer."

Instead of "Tough shit, loser."

It takes about 30 more calories but conservatives are seldom willing to exert the effort which is why you've lost 5 of the last 6 popular votes nationwide.

But the truth is that nobody is "holding a gun to your head". That liberals need that explained out in detail explains why they prefer a nanny state. Don't like your job or the type of jobs you chose to be qualified for? Do something about it.

You do understand how walmart destroys the local mom and pop bussiness went they enter a small town dont you? they were prolly paying a better wagea and benifits and then when walmart moved in they closed up shop and their employees went and worked for them.I have seen it happen all across the midwest and south.

You are an economic illiterate. Considering how the Fed is destroying the value of the dollar, the only hope most lower and middle class people have to purchase reasonably priced goods is via large scale discounters.

Forum List

Back