Trader Joe’s Rejects Walmart Strategy

I admit it. I hate Wal-Mart because of all the low-born, roly-poly, lumpen here comes honey boos boos that pollute the isles with their down market clothing and forearm fat.

must be were you live or if you like the place or not and if your honest about it.....were i am at they are higher.....not a lot to make a difference.....Whole foods is high enough to make a difference.....but they are worth going to every now and then....

Yeah, WF is more pricier down here in S Texas but the quality is way better than TJ's, which is even pricier than WF. I usually only hit em up once a month and shop at the local supermarket for better prices.
Trader Joe's is more expensive than Whole Foods in Texas?... Wow.

I can't say that for every item but overall they are...at least down here. We have 3 WF stores down here in SA. TJ's just opened one a few months ago.

I admit it. I hate Wal-Mart because of all the low-born, roly-poly, lumpen here comes honey boos boos that pollute the isles with their down market clothing and forearm fat.

You hate Wal-Mart? :cuckoo: Of all the things on the planet I care to hate, a chain store doesn't even make the list.

For you Neo-Cons who think that a company can only get by if it screws its workers....this one's for you!!

We’ve watched as places like Walmart, Papa John’s, Target, Applebee’s and other businesses continue to pay sub-par wages while claiming their only option for profit, given the economy and their being “forced” to provide employees with insurance, is to either cut employees’ hours and/or their wages. This miserly strategy is justified and implemented despite the fact that research shows that raising wages would actually “benefit workers, the industry and the overall economy".

Many employers believe that one of the best ways to raise their profit margin is to cut labor costs. But companies like QuikTrip, the grocery-store chain Trader Joe’s, and Costco Wholesale are proving that the decision to offer low wages is a choice, not an economic necessity. All three are low-cost retailers, a sector that is traditionally known for relying on part-time, low-paid employees. Yet these companies have all found that the act of valuing workers can pay off in the form of increased sales and productivity

Rejecting Walmart Strategy, Trader Joe?s Pays Employees A Living Wage And Wins | Addicting Info

I don't shop at Walmart or buy pizza from Papa Johns. Their merchandise and food sucks and they treat their employees like shit.

Good for Trader Joe's, I hope that strategy and policy works out for them.

Whole Foods is better than TJ's.

by far....you pay for it though.....their workers like working there too....
Their workers are also very knowledgeable about their products....I like Whole Foods, but I tend to choose Bristol Farms over them, when i'm looking for a specialty item and not worried about price.

the closest one of them to me is in Newport Beach..... to far to drive for me to grocery shop....but if it was closer i would try it out....

Trader Joe's - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The May 2009 issue of Consumer Reports ranked Trader Joe's the second-best supermarket chain in the nation, after Wegmans.[13] In June 2009, MSN Money released its third annual Customer Service Hall of Fame survey results. Trader Joe's ranks second in customer service.[14] Although Ethisphere Magazine listed Trader Joe's among its most ethical companies in the United States in 2008, 2009, and 2010, Trader Joe's did not make that list in 2011.[15][16][17]

For you Neo-Cons who think that a company can only get by if it screws its workers....this one's for you!!

Rejecting Walmart Strategy, Trader Joe?s Pays Employees A Living Wage And Wins | Addicting Info

I don't shop at Walmart or buy pizza from Papa Johns. Their merchandise and food sucks and they treat their employees like shit.

I am always amazed at the idiocy of people you who have NO concept of the difference between markets!

Trader Joe's:
gross revenue: $8.5 billion
Employees 10,000
Locations: 395
revenue per employee:$850,000
Revenue per location: $21,518,987
Employees/location: 26

Walmart
gross revenue: $446 billion
Employees : 2,200,000
Locations: 8,970
Revenue per employee:$220,000
Revenue per location $46 million
Employees/location:245
where you gettin your figures from?

Customers Flee Wal-Mart Empty Shelves for Target, Costco - Yahoo! Finance
"If it's not on the shelf, I can't buy it," she said. "You hate to see a company self-destruct, but there are other places to go."
It's not as though the merchandise isn't there. It's piling up in aisles and in the back of stores because Wal-Mart doesn't have enough bodies to restock the shelves, according to interviews with store workers. In the past five years, the world's largest retailer added 455 U.S. Wal-Mart stores, a 13 percent increase, according to filings and the company's website. In the same period, its total U.S. workforce, which includes Sam's Club employees, dropped by about 20,000, or 1.4 percent. Wal-Mart employs about 1.4 million U.S. workers.

Got it from Walmart - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia that gets their information from financial reports...

Type Public
Traded as NYSE: WMT
Dow Jones Industrial Average Component
S&P 500 Component
Industry Retail
Founded 1962
Founder(s) Sam Walton
Headquarters Bentonville, Arkansas, United States
36°21′51″N 094°12′59″W
Number of locations 8,970 (2011)
Area served Worldwide
Key people S. Robson Walton, Chairman
Mike Duke, President/CEO
Products Apparel/footwear specialty, cash & carry/warehouse club, discount store, hypermarket/supercenter/superstore, supermarket
Revenue US$ 446.950 billion (2012)[1]
Operating income US$ 26.558 billion (2012)[1]
Net income US$ 15.699 billion (2012)[1]
Total assets US$ 193.406 billion (2012)[1]
Total equity US$ 71.315 billion (2012)[1]
Owner(s) Walton family
Employees 2.2 million (2012)[1]
Divisions Walmart Canada
Subsidiaries Asda, Sam's Club, Seiyu Group, Walmex
Website Wal-Mart Stores.com
Walmart.com
References: [2][3][4]

Last edited:
just wondering

Is it just me and the other conservatives that look at jobs in walmart, TJ, costco, etc, has jobs for kids, adults between jobs and something easy to do when your older and not as a career choice?

Seriously, t-pok said costco cashiers get $40k after 5 years. What kind of person could do such a job for 5 fucking years?

check out the facts...

Costco Wholesale Salaries | Glassdoor

These are not "low cost retailers". The business model of Costco is unique in the food and perishables industries- buying warehouses full of manufactured goods and being their own distribution center allows them to sell at reduced costs. But what most consumers really do? They spend more than they normally would shopping at a traditional market-thereby increasing sales volumes. Costco has negatively impacted the retail channel that supplies other small business.

Trader Joe's is another unique business model that caters to what I call the "oozy-groovy" crowd. What they offer is specialized foods and wines appealing to the health conscious crowd- THAT is where their success is built in. Their wages are a-typical- not unique for a specialty retailer.

Below are the "averaged" hourly wages from these two retailers. What averages cannot consider is that these two retailers are located only in areas where growth and condensed populations exist. Walmart's go everywhere- including into rural areas, bringing their averages down.

Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) - Hourly 64 Costco Wholesale Salaries $11.84/hr
Stocker - Hourly 43 Costco Wholesale Salaries $12.61/hr
Costco Wholesale Salaries | Glassdoor

Crew Member 125 Trader Joe's Salaries $13.00
Crew74 Trader Joe's Salaries $12.58
Trader Joe's Hourly Pay | Glassdoor

HEY!!!! Don't ARGUE with FACTS because hyperbole is the ONLY thing most of these people understand!
THANKS for your input!

Also... Suggestion! Don't forget that the Employers are paying 13% on top of that wage and that concept needs greater awareness even by people as
adept as you!
Most Americans do NOT know that their employer matches the employees' SS/Medicare AND that employer pays the taxes that pay unemployment!
As a result using the minimum wage argument of $7.25 is fallacious especially when the idiots advocate $9.00 like Obama did!
You and the rest of us continually must explain that this 13% additional payment adds to the minimum wage discussion and as a result what it does do
is stymies employment growth!

The average minimum wage actually paid by an employer for each employee is 15.00 to 20.00 dollars an hour when including all costs depending on state of residency.

I have calculated ONLY the Federal employer payroll taxes PAID on behalf of the employees' benefits.
SS is 6.2% Medicare is 1.45% Unemployment tax is about 1.2% and Workman comp at about 1.25%. I didn't figure any state mandated
employer payments.
The major point I was making is A lot of people on this board and many millions of Americans are mislead when the minimum wage
of $7.25 is used and even more so when Obama touts $9.00 because..
THEY don't KNOW that the employers pay the above taxes in addition to the employees' share!
If these people knew that the minimum wage really is $8.09 when including these taxes they might have a better understanding of the economics!

So no one has told me how Trader Joe's or Costco will make up the differences that would occur if Walmart decided to change their entire business model after What would happen if Walmart took the approach of Trader Joe's and have then:
instead of 245 employees per store.. Walmart has 25!

That means:
A) Walmart would let 1,971,911 employees go to match Trader Joe's 25 employees per store!
B) That means then $5 billion in payroll tax payments on behalf of employees gone!
C) That means at $300/week for 99 weeks unemployment benefits paid out by the govt: $59 billion!
D) That means $5 billion not coming in $59 billion going out total $65 billion cost by following Trader Joe's model!
E) That means the 1,971,911 would NOT have $41 billion to spend in the economy!

Would Trader Joe's or CostCo or any of you pompous idiots who look elitist-like down your nose at US Walmart shoppers care to explain how
the nearly $60 billion lost payroll taxes and Unemployment payments for the 1.9 million laid off Walmart employees would be made up?
Or where the USA economy would pick up the $41 billion in payroll that the laid off 1.9 million would have spent will come from?

Yeah, WF is more pricier down here in S Texas but the quality is way better than TJ's, which is even pricier than WF. I usually only hit em up once a month and shop at the local supermarket for better prices.

I can't say that for every item but overall they are...at least down here. We have 3 WF stores down here in SA. TJ's just opened one a few months ago.
Not here. Trader Joe's is about 3 blocks from a Whole Foods and I've shopped both. Trader Joe's is a lot cheaper.

Customers Flee Wal-Mart Empty Shelves for Target, Costco - Bloomberg
It’s not as though the merchandise isn’t there. It’s piling up in aisles and in the back of stores because Wal-Mart doesn’t have enough bodies to restock the shelves, according to interviews with store workers. In the past five years, the world’s largest retailer added 455 U.S. Wal-Mart stores, a 13 percent increase, according to filings and the company’s website. In the same period, its total U.S. workforce, which includes Sam’s Club employees, dropped by about 20,000, or 1.4 percent. Wal-Mart employs about 1.4 million U.S. workers.
they want the same or more productivity for the same wages. The Republican way :clap2:

Now I don't care who you that there's funny right there!! If you can't laugh at that you need to get the hell out of here!! LMAO!!

Trader Joe's has the best Wine for the money bar none...amazingly priced.
Yep. Just came from there a little while ago. Bought half a case of their Chilean wines. 2 cabernet, 2 merlot, 1 malbec, and 1 chardonnay. Drinking the merlot right now. Can't beat these wines for the price ($2.99). Amazing.

I live in San Francisco, and Trader Joe's is the cheapest supermarket around me.

Whole Foods and Andronico's are the most expensive. Safeway falls in the middle.

Not here. Trader Joe's is about 3 blocks from a Whole Foods and I've shopped both. Trader Joe's is a lot cheaper.
As is the quality of their food products, hence, the number of recalls they experience.

As is the quality of their food products, hence, the number of recalls they experience.
The May 2009 issue of Consumer Reports ranked Trader Joe's the second-best supermarket chain in the nation, after Wegmans.[13] In June 2009, MSN Money released its third annual Customer Service Hall of Fame survey results. Trader Joe's ranks second in customer service.[14] Although Ethisphere Magazine listed Trader Joe's among its most ethical companies in the United States in 2008, 2009, and 2010, Trader Joe's did not make that list in 2011.[15][16][17]

Forum List

Back