Tracking down a closed corporation

JustAnotherNut

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2015
I've recently been notified that a company I had worked for 30+years ago had reported back in 1987 of a profit sharing plan, with my name on it. I had left in 1985 (2 years prior) and other than hearing the company had since closed, I never gave it a second thought. In all these years, or even while I worked there, I was never aware of any such plan. :dunno:

I've been told to contact the Plan Admin, there is none. I've done several online searches with Secretary of State's Corporation Commission, State Library Reference, National/Federal searches, Dept of Revenue, and local City Chamber of Commerce.

All searches have turned up nothing, nada, as if they never existed.....with the exception of the CoC and their contact info is outdated, null & void. To complicate matters, I don't even know just what happened to the company......if they sold out, moved to another state, changed names, bankruptcy or just closed down. I am assuming whatever did happen is what resulted in the plan account, but I am only guessing because of the timeline.

Does anyone here know of a better way of tracking down a business that has been closed for 30 years, OR how to find out about the retirement account or if there is even anything in it? :dunno:

if there is a plan, there is a plan Admin. some financial body is holding that money, if there is any.

if it's not there any longer or was rolled up at some point, then obviously there is no money and no plan admin.

I'm thinking also that 30 years ago there was no internet, so the data may never have been digitized, making online searches a dead end. you might inquire as to old records with the SOS office, and if they are available for viewing or purchase or whatever. I think there are services that will go dig through that stuff for you, if it's there, but I obviously have no idea how that works in the state you are in....

Forum List

Back