Toy Hall of Fame

I think it was called Plasti-Goop - and the smell was quite memorable!

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, My Little Pony vie for toy hall of fame - CNN.com

Pick two:

1. Bubbles
2. Chess
3. Clue
4. Ninja Turtles
5. Nerf Ball
6. Fisher Price Little People
7. Pac Man
8. Little Green Army Men
9. My Little Pony
10. Rubber Duck
11. Scooter
12. Magic 8 Ball

jarts

the old school kind

I loved the original Jarts before the lawyers got ahold of it. There was something about the sound the Jart made as it pierced the lawn.

I remember playing at a friends house one time and his four year old brother kept nagging.....let me play....let me play
He threw it and it went straight up in the air. We pulled him out of the way as it came straight down where he was standing

Great game

jarts.jpg

Last edited:
Lincoln Logs, Lego's, Army men different colors for different sides. 25 cent model airplanes.

If you're 3 or 4 and standing up the green men, it doesn't get any better than that. Actually, the table I'm sitting at posting right now is the same one I got under to play with the green army men in the early 60's.

Last edited:
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, My Little Pony vie for toy hall of fame - CNN.com

Pick two:

1. Bubbles
2. Chess
3. Clue
4. Ninja Turtles
5. Nerf Ball
6. Fisher Price Little People
7. Pac Man
8. Little Green Army Men
9. My Little Pony
10. Rubber Duck
11. Scooter
12. Magic 8 Ball

jarts

the old school kind

I loved the original Jarts before the lawyers got ahold of it. There was something about the sound the Jart made as it pierced the lawn.

I remember playing at a friends house one time and his four year old brother kept nagging.....let me play....let me play
He threw it and it went straight up in the air. We pulled him out of the way as it came straight down where he was standing

Great game

jarts.jpg

certainly

jarts was a game that one needed to pay attention while playing

--LOL

Lincoln Logs, Lego's, Army men different colors for different sides. 25 cent model airplanes.

If you're 3 or 4 and standing up the green men, it doesn't get any better than that. Actually, the table I'm sitting at posting right now is the same one I got under to play with the green army men in the early 60's.

For around a dollar, you got a bag full of Army men. For about three bucks, you had yourself an Army. You could set up a mock battlefield in your bedroom. Better yet, take them outside and set up a real life battlefield with forts, trenches, rivers, trees

Now, if you had some firecrackers you were really cooking

I'm glad to see that Stick made it. But I see they are missing the other four oldest classics.
As a single dad, I can vouch for these, these have definitely gotten the most use in this house.

The 5 Best Toys of All Time
http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2011/01/the-5-best-toys-of-all-time/

Well done

Reminds us about what toys are really about. Not a videogame or something a toy conglomerate tells you that you must have....but imagination

A stick? Great for stickball. Want to play army or cowboy and indians? they make a great gun. If you have a jacknife...nothing better than whittling it down

A box? Great fort, costume, building blocks

String or rope? Jumprope, cats cradle

Dirt a toy? When I was a kid there was nothing better than the time my dad had a truckload of dirt dumped in our backyard

For around a dollar, you got a bag full of Army men. For about three bucks, you had yourself an Army. You could set up a mock battlefield in your bedroom. Better yet, take them outside and set up a real life battlefield with forts, trenches, rivers, trees

Now, if you had some firecrackers you were really cooking

http://www.paloaltoonline.com/square/topic_print.php?t=551

From Andy, a childhood friend of mine:

Posted by Andrew L. Freedman, a resident of the College Terrace neighborhood, on Oct 30, 2006 at 1:17 pm

Sorry - just one more thing:

I have to mention some of my “juvenile delinquent” activities:

Buying cigarettes at the vending machines for 45 cents a pack.

Stealing cigarettes and (Tiny Tot brand) sardines at the Safeway store.

Being led out of Bergmann’s toy section (on the 2nd floor) by the clerks before we had a chance to shoplift.

“Ghost-riding” an abandon bicycle off the roof of the original Hoover School

Being “busted” with 6 others by “Narcs on Bikes” at Hoover Park when I was 13 for smoking a joint

Palo Alto Times ran a story in 1969 called “Narcs on Bikes.” The officers in that unit were allowed to grow their hair and beards to look like “hippies” at a time when the police had strict rules on head and facial hair.

I posted this with Andy in mind. lol

Watching the parade,

I drank a cup of lime-aid.

I lit some firecrackers,

and saw a few marchers go whackers.

I thought to myself,

I should have left those noise-makers on the shelf.

This isn't a Chinese parade with dragons,

Yet, I still love that sound, like tons.

I threw more fireworks,

when the parade passed a local restaurant called Kirk's,

The smoke from them rose up,

and a sudden wind and chill and the icy stare of a cop made me "froze up

You should have seen what his brother and I did :lol:

I'm glad to see that Stick made it. But I see they are missing the other four oldest classics.
As a single dad, I can vouch for these, these have definitely gotten the most use in this house.

The 5 Best Toys of All Time
http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2011/01/the-5-best-toys-of-all-time/

I found a good stick while hiking as a kid:

LOL I was watching a youtube vid of a live Rolling Stones performance from the 60's probably, and I said "Darn if Mic don't look like our gracious host here, Andy Freedman.

Mic Jagger must have come from that same 50's culture that Andy was brought up in; the styles are so striking.

I had been trying for days to think of what to say here, so I thought why not start my comment with that.

I also just finished reading all of the replies here finally fgs.

I did come up with some great experiences of my youth in Palo Alto that haven't been listed yet.

One of the best outings I had was when I went a few times to the observation deck at the top of the lone skyscraper downtown. And of course, the only time I went to the top of Hoover Tower was a most basic joy.

There were a few others, but I can't think of them now.

I'll tell my greatest experience of all though, which I'm sure of and is from when I was around 7 years old. I had a real nice light walking stick that I had gotten camping. The massive parking lot at the former St. Mark's Episcopal church had not been built yet. That church was right next to Hoover Elementary school just a block from my mom's house. There was a massive vacant lot there that was mostly full of dirt clods in an all dirt field. I'd stand just a ways into it from the street and hit rocks just as far as I could, and I did not have to worry, because the area was so huge that I couldn't possibly have hit anything. I still can instantly cherish those moments.

Breyer horse statues!

My friends and I would play Horses and Barbies. The horses were the smart ones and would play tricks on the dumb Barbies.

And then there was the one friend who switched the heads on her Ken and Barbie dolls....

Breyer horse statues!

My friends and I would play Horses and Barbies. The horses were the smart ones and would play tricks on the dumb Barbies.

And then there was the one friend who switched the heads on her Ken and Barbie dolls....

My wife still has dozens of those horse statues

Won't give them up

Tonka trucks, man. Tonka trucks. Especially the big yellow dump truck that an elephant could stand on.

I'm not talking about the plastic shit they make nowadays. I'm talking steel Tonka trucks.

And army men. Not just green army men, but the yellow Jap army men to fight against them, too. The slant-eyed yellow guy with the sword pointing. Remember? There was no political correctness in my day.

Cap guns. With the paper roll of caps. Loved that smell. And again, none of this plastic gun shit they have nowadays with a fucking ORANGE TIP! Get the fuck away from me with that shit! Give me a METAL cap gun. A Colt six shooter. Or a wood and steel Winchester rifle. I'm gonna kill me a whole town of black hats before sundown.

Wave goodbye to mom after breakfast on a summer day and she wouldn't see you again until lunch. Then after lunch, disappear until dark. No worries.

Last edited:
Tonka trucks, man. Tonka trucks. Especially the big yellow dump truck that an elephant could stand on.

I'm not talking about the plastic shit they make nowadays. I'm talking steel Tonka trucks.

And army men. Not just green army men, but the yellow Jap army men to fight against them, too. The slant-eyed yellow guy with the sword pointing. Remember? There was no political correctness in my day.

Cap guns. With the paper roll of caps. Loved that smell. And again, none of this plastic gun shit they have nowadays with a fucking ORANGE TIP! Get the fuck away from me with that shit! Give me a METAL cap gun. A Colt six shooter. Or a wood and steel Winchester rifle. I'm gonna kill me a whole town of black hats before sundown.

Wave goodbye to mom after breakfast on a summer day and she wouldn't see you again until lunch. Then after lunch, disappear until dark. No worries.

Remember the Pop Guns?

Pump the lever and push the barrel into the dirt and fire......Dirt and dust would fly out the end

Remember Water Rockets?

Water-Rockets.jpg

I put a lot of these on the roof of our house

Yeah. Water rockets were awesome.

They're still around.

Forum List

Back