Top 5 Regrets People Have At the End of Their Lives

If I died today my top 5 would be : treating my parents better as a teenager, Not doing drugs as a teenager, Wishing I had more money to leave my son( I have got 2 life insurance policies and everything to go to him, well my mom untill he is old enough), Been a better parent (don't we all?), not banging an Asian

Do you regret that avie choice? I'm about ready to put you on ignore for that one.

Crazy aint it? lol (imagine seeing that in the 60's LOL)
I have had a few complaints, so I might change it later on..

If I died today my top 5 would be : treating my parents better as a teenager, Not doing drugs as a teenager, Wishing I had more money to leave my son( I have got 2 life insurance policies and everything to go to him, well my mom untill he is old enough), Been a better parent (don't we all?), not banging an Asian

Do you regret that avie choice? I'm about ready to put you on ignore for that one.

Crazy aint it? lol (imagine seeing that in the 60's LOL)
I have had a few complaints, so I might change it later on..

Some people have flashbacks, ya know? That's messed up.

One of the greatest myths is the persistence of the one that says I wish I hadn't worked so hard.

Where is the one that says "I wish I had provided less for my family. I wish that they lived in some level of poverty and didn't have that nice house, good food, and financial security."

A decent, productive, quality life is possible without killing yourself in the process.

Work smarter, not harder.

I don't really buy the 'list of regrets' as the most common ones, but it does make for an interesting topic.

There are always those things we wish we had done differently. If I had it all to do over I would study more for that class instead of goofing off. In fact I would have done college much better. I would have gone to culinary school when young or I would have finished that degree. I would have skipped some things I did that were harmful and embraced more things that were good. I would not have made the same mistakes I made with my kids. I would have been a better wife. I would not have allowed myself to be drawn into that toxic situation at work that bothers me to this day. I would have resented less, loved more, acted more on good impulses. Etc. Etc. Etc.

But in the end we can't undo any of that and we can't live it all over again. All any of us have is today to work with. And we can choose to live it well. Or not.

Last edited:
I don't really buy the 'list of regrets' as the most common ones, but it does make for an interesting topic.

There are always those things we wish we had done differently. If I had it all to do over I would study more for that class instead of goofing off. In fact I would have done college much better. I would have gone to culinary school when young or I would have finished that degree. I would have skipped some things I did that were harmful and embraced more things that were good. I would not have made the same mistakes I made with my kids. I would have been a better wife. I would not have allowed myself to be drawn into that toxic situation at work that bothers me to this day. Etc. Etc. Etc.

But in the end we can't undo any of that and we can't live it all over again. All any of us have is today to work with. And we can choose to live it well. Or not.
I would've learned auto mechanics and spared me years of grief.

One of the greatest myths is the persistence of the one that says I wish I hadn't worked so hard.

Where is the one that says "I wish I had provided less for my family. I wish that they lived in some level of poverty and didn't have that nice house, good food, and financial security."

53% of americans now no longer have to worry about those

this workout is for stomach area, arms and even include your back and shoulder area,
Dips are alternative to developing chest area and arms muscle tissue....

Once the government wholly replaces the family, no one will have to worry about it. They can be on their deathbeds wondering what it would have been like to have a family.

Once the government wholly replaces the family, no one will have to worry about it. They can be on their deathbeds wondering what it would have been like to have a family.

With our sky high divorce rates, who is really holding down a family anymore?

With our sky high divorce rates, who is really holding down a family anymore?

True. It's part of the disposable society. You won't find anyone saying they wished they hadn't gotten a divorce either. Or how about some man on his death bed saying he wished he would have married one of the mothers of his children?

The whole deathbed regrets is just crap isn't it? It sounds good. Maybe someone will get on the government tit because they don't want to have those regrets.

I always wondered what people say on their death-bed, well, here's their top 5 regrets...

Bronnie Ware is an Australian nurse who spent several years working in palliative care, caring for patients in the last 12 weeks of their lives. She recorded their dying epiphanies in a blog called Inspiration and Chai, which gathered so much attention that she put her observations into a book called The Top Five Regrets of the Dying.
This first one, I can safely say, will not be one of my regrets. I've taken so much shit over the years more being brutally honest, it's nice to see being true to oneself is something to live for.

1. I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.

"This was the most common regret of all. When people realise that their life is almost over and look back clearly on it, it is easy to see how many dreams have gone unfulfilled.
Being currently un-employed, I don't have to worry about this one. Although, those on the right, might think this is the regret of the 47% dying.

I got no problem on No.3.

Just ask Roudy and Rosie.

This next one I have mixed feelings over.

Some friends I miss, some I do not.

4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.

"Often they would not truly realise the full benefits of old friends until their dying weeks and it was not always possible to track them down. Everyone misses their friends when they are dying."
This last one, will be the regret of mostly conservatives and those on the right, whose biggest fear is change.

5. I wish that I had let myself be happier.

"This is a surprisingly common one. Many did not realise until the end that happiness is a choice. They had stayed stuck in old patterns and habits. The so-called 'comfort' of familiarity overflowed into their emotions, as well as their physical lives. Fear of change had them pretending to others, and to their selves, that they were content, when deep within, they longed to laugh properly and have silliness in their life again."

what a crock of shit

On her deathbed, my Aunt, who essentially raised my mom, said "I can't die, I've never been to Paris."

Personally..I didn't like her much. She reminded me of a mean spirited Phyllis Diller. I sent her flowers that said "Bon Voyage". They didn't give them to her..but used them at the funeral.

It got a laugh.

There are some legitimate regrets I have now that I am on the downhill side of my life and the end is closer than the beginning.

Looking back I wish I had done some things better.

I wish I had been more adventurous and put in the effort to make some things happen that I postponed too long or gave up on too early.

I wish I had been more mature in some situations that needed a grown up and I wasn't willing to be one.

I wish I had parented better, been a more attentive neighbor, been a better friend, been less selfish and more of a positive influence. I wish I could take back many words that I said. I wish I had opportunity to say things that I should have said.

I wish I had taken better care of myself mentally, physically, and spiritually.

I wish I had started more things that I intended to do and finished more things that I started.

But, all in all, the time behind us cannot be retrieved and we are given few opportunities for do-overs in this lifetime. But we each have today and whatever time is left to do it better.

Last edited:
I'm 57, still young but not too young to have a full life to look back on:

1. I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.

I have lived the life as true to myself as is possible. A man has to realize that there is a compromise, and he has to be smart enough to know what to compromise on and what not to. I feel confident that I have done so.

2. I wish I had not worked so hard.

Things are different now. Men aren't required to be the sole breadwinner. I have 5 daughters, I feel pretty good about the time I've spent with them.

3. I wish I had the courage to express my feelings.

Not an issue for me.

4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.

This conservative makes new friends.

5. I wish that I had let myself be happier.

If I'm not as happy as I could be, it isn't me that's stopping me.

Forum List

Back