Top 20% of households pay vast majority of income taxes

Rich folks already pay the majority of the taxes. They may consume a lot more gas with their high priced cars and boats. They already pay nearly 90% of our taxes so how much more should they pay? 40% of the country pays nothing.

I don’t think the wealthy necessarily use more gas. Working class folks typically have to drive an off a lot to and from work. Many working-class folks are drivers as their job or as a part-time job. It seems like a low flat tax will get the job done just fine.

Working class use public transportation
Not in Michigan.

I want a gas tax because I work 7 minutes from home. Like republicans I vote selfishly.

I want interest rates to rise because I have no debt and I want better % on my savings. I don’t care if home interest rates go to 15% I pay cash for everything from here on out.

If you cut my taxes somewhere else I’d be ok with a consumption tax but tell me what would you have me pay on the $25k pontoon I purchased last summer? I paid 6% sales tax. How much more would you charge me for buying that boat? 10% would be $2500. I would be ok paying $27,500. That wouldn’t stop me from buying the thing

1.5% Federal Tax on everything until our debt is paid down significantly
Fuck it do it. Nothing you do will hurt me unless you cost me my job.

Crash the market I’ll just buy low sell high

See we are on different sides of the political aisle and we agree. Who needs politicians and lobbyists?

Rich folks already pay the majority of the taxes. They may consume a lot more gas with their high priced cars and boats. They already pay nearly 90% of our taxes so how much more should they pay? 40% of the country pays nothing.

I don’t think the wealthy necessarily use more gas. Working class folks typically have to drive an off a lot to and from work. Many working-class folks are drivers as their job or as a part-time job. It seems like a low flat tax will get the job done just fine.

Not most.

I think most

You are mistaken.

Possibly. But I don’t think so

That makes NO sense

Maybe in Russia

Come to Boston and discuss it with me face to face. I ll Buy you a beer
Are you threatening me tough guy?

Only if you don’t like beer.
I don't like you. I love beer

You barely know me. Usually people get to know me before disliking me. The peace offering of beer stands.

Things aren't going to change anytime soon.

Republicans have been looting the country for the last few decades.

And they will continue to do so until voters get a little more savvy when it comes to them being taken to the cleaners.

And then there is that willing victim GOP base.

In another post, I quoted a Trump supporter:

“I thought he was going to do good things. He’s not hurting the people he needs to be hurting.”

That's just hilarious to me.

And here is what actually has happened the last 35 years of GOP giveaway to the rich and cuts in services for the rest... The ruin of the middle class and our infrastructure...

The Demise of the American Middle Class In Numbers.

Over the past 35 years the American dream has gradually disappeared. The process was slow, so most people didn’t notice. They just worked a few more hours, borrowed a little more and cut back on non-essentials. But looking at the numbers and comparing them over long time periods, it is obvious that things have changed drastically. Here are the details:

1. WORKERS PRODUCE MORE BUT THE GAINS GO TO BUSINESS.

Over the past 63 years worker productivity has grown by 2.0% per year.

But after 1980, workers received a smaller share every year. Labor’s share of income (1992 = 100%):

1950 = 101%
1960 = 105%
1970 = 105%
1980 = 105% – Reagan
1990 = 100%
2000 = 96%
2007 = 92%

A 13% drop since 1980

2. THE TOP 10% GET A LARGER SHARE.

Share of National Income going to Top 10%:

1950 = 35%
1960 = 34%
1970 = 34%
1980 = 34% – Reagan
1990 = 40%
2000 = 47%
2007 = 50%

An increase of 16% since Reagan.

3. WORKERS COMPENSATED FOR THE LOSS OF INCOME BY SPENDING THEIR SAVINGS.

The savings Rose up to Reagan and fell during and after.

1950 = 6.0%
1960 = 7.0%
1970 = 8.5%
1980 = 10.0% – Reagan
1982 = 11.2% – Peak
1990 = 7.0%
2000 = 2.0%
2006 = -1.1% (Negative = withdrawing from savings)

A 12.3% drop after Reagan.

4. WORKERS ALSO BORROWED TO MAKE UP FOR THE LOSS.

Household Debt as percentage of GDP:

1965 = 46%
1970 = 45%
1980 = 50% – Reagan
1990 = 61%
2000 = 69%
2007 = 95%

Links:

1 = ftp://ftp.bls.gov/pub/special.requests/pf/totalf1.txt
1 = https://www.clevelandfed.org/Research/PolicyDis/No7Nov04.pdf
1 = Clipboard01.jpg (image)
2 – http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/blog/09/04/27/CongratulationstoEmmanuelSaez/
3 = http://www.demos.org/inequality/images/charts/uspersonalsaving_thumb.gif
3 = http://www.bea.gov/national/nipaweb...able=58&Freq=Qtr&FirstYear=2008&LastYear=2010
4 = http://www.prudentbear.com/index.php/household-sector-debt-of-gdp
4 = The Fed - Financial Accounts of the United States - Z.1 - Current Released

So you blame GOP only not all politicians? Do you think all Democrats are poor?
we have GOP tax rates and they have been cutting services for the rest for 35 years, Super Duper. For some reason they only need 51 votes to cut taxes on the rich and services on the rest, while the Democratic need 60 votes for reform. They had 40 days under Obama and passed Obamacare, the greatest social reform since LBJ, the last time they had 60 votes. The GOP passed reconciliation in 1974 and this filibuster bulshit is theirs also. Brilliant if you only care about helping the rich.

Rich Democrats want the rich to pay more in taxes and invest in America. I don't blame the rich, just the GOP rich. Because I know what I'm talkin about, super duper.

ACA equates to forced insurance. How is that great reform exactly? Forcing the healthy to pay for the sick?
That's the way any health system works. Or you can just shoot the sick and people who have accidents LOL

Nope They are Nationalized. You are wrong again. Leftist Fascist
Nationalized not really. The payment system is nationalized but their doctors make fine money, not as much as ours of course. Our system is ridiculously expensive, Republican doctors. LOL my father was a doctor who was for socialized medicine since 1940. our health system costs twice as much as England's per capita 50% more than France's and it sucks. My mother the Royal nurse would say where are the orderlies, the nurses here are ruined by the time they're 50.

So you blame GOP only not all politicians? Do you think all Democrats are poor?
we have GOP tax rates and they have been cutting services for the rest for 35 years, Super Duper. For some reason they only need 51 votes to cut taxes on the rich and services on the rest, while the Democratic need 60 votes for reform. They had 40 days under Obama and passed Obamacare, the greatest social reform since LBJ, the last time they had 60 votes. The GOP passed reconciliation in 1974 and this filibuster bulshit is theirs also. Brilliant if you only care about helping the rich.

Rich Democrats want the rich to pay more in taxes and invest in America. I don't blame the rich, just the GOP rich. Because I know what I'm talkin about, super duper.

ACA equates to forced insurance. How is that great reform exactly? Forcing the healthy to pay for the sick?
That's the way any health system works. Or you can just shoot the sick and people who have accidents LOL

Nationalized not really. The payment system is nationalized but their doctors make fine money, not as much as ours of course. Our system is ridiculously expensive, Republican doctors. LOL my father was a doctor who was for socialized medicine since 1940. our health system costs twice as much as England's per capita 50% more than France's and it sucks. My mother the Royal nurse would say where are the orderlies, the nurses here are ruined by the time they're 50.

Our healthcare system sucks. ACA made it worse as only the insurance companies profited. Look a plastic and laser eye surgery. Not regulated. Cash pay and now laser eye surgery is fairly cheap because of the number of doctors doing it. Capitalism works. ACA sucks but healthcare system sucked even before ACA. Mess.

And they will continue to do so until voters get a little more savvy when it comes to them being taken to the cleaners.

Deantard it’s past your bedtime.

In another post, I quoted a Trump supporter:

“I thought he was going to do good things. He’s not hurting the people he needs to be hurting.”

That's just hilarious to me.

Another Trump post. You have a mental illness.

Our healthcare system sucks. ACA made it worse as only the insurance companies profited. Look a plastic and laser eye surgery. Not regulated. Cash pay and now laser eye surgery is fairly cheap because of the number of doctors doing it. Capitalism works. ACA sucks but healthcare system sucked even before ACA. Mess.
It's getting better thanks to Obamacare competition and transparency. And it helps the people on Medicaid a lot. and 75% on the exchanges pay less than $100 a month so that they are doing well and it's coming down price wise.

Yep it's a giveaway to the rich and screw the rest and you people don't even know it. Brainwashed functional morons...

Yep it's a giveaway to the rich and screw the rest and you people don't even know it. Brainwashed functional morons...
The Demise of the American Middle Class In Numbers.

Over the past 35 years the American dream has gradually disappeared. The process was slow, so most people didn’t notice. They just worked a few more hours, borrowed a little more and cut back on non-essentials. But looking at the numbers and comparing them over long time periods, it is obvious that things have changed drastically. Here are the details:

1. WORKERS PRODUCE MORE BUT THE GAINS GO TO BUSINESS.

Over the past 63 years worker productivity has grown by 2.0% per year.

But after 1980, workers received a smaller share every year. Labor’s share of income (1992 = 100%):

1950 = 101%
1960 = 105%
1970 = 105%
1980 = 105% – Reagan
1990 = 100%
2000 = 96%
2007 = 92%

A 13% drop since 1980

2. THE TOP 10% GET A LARGER SHARE.

Share of National Income going to Top 10%:

1950 = 35%
1960 = 34%
1970 = 34%
1980 = 34% – Reagan
1990 = 40%
2000 = 47%
2007 = 50%

An increase of 16% since Reagan.

3. WORKERS COMPENSATED FOR THE LOSS OF INCOME BY SPENDING THEIR SAVINGS.

The savings Rose up to Reagan and fell during and after.

1950 = 6.0%
1960 = 7.0%
1970 = 8.5%
1980 = 10.0% – Reagan
1982 = 11.2% – Peak
1990 = 7.0%
2000 = 2.0%
2006 = -1.1% (Negative = withdrawing from savings)

A 12.3% drop after Reagan.

4. WORKERS ALSO BORROWED TO MAKE UP FOR THE LOSS.

Household Debt as percentage of GDP:

1965 = 46%
1970 = 45%
1980 = 50% – Reagan
1990 = 61%
2000 = 69%
2007 = 95%

Links:

1 = ftp://ftp.bls.gov/pub/special.requests/pf/totalf1.txt
1 = https://www.clevelandfed.org/Research/PolicyDis/No7Nov04.pdf
1 = Clipboard01.jpg (image)
2 – http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/blog/09/04/27/CongratulationstoEmmanuelSaez/
3 = http://www.demos.org/inequality/images/charts/uspersonalsaving_thumb.gif
3 = http://www.bea.gov/national/nipaweb...able=58&Freq=Qtr&FirstYear=2008&LastYear=2010
4 = http://www.prudentbear.com/index.php/household-sector-debt-of-gdp
4 = The Fed - Financial Accounts of the United States - Z.1 - Current Releasea

Forum List

Back