Top 20% of households pay vast majority of income taxes

Yes

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjABegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw04A-tI_-XpsQVdnd3hcTo4

Or Google Obama's lobbying rules. If you don't know the GOP loves lobbyists and Democrats have been trying to limit them forever, you are a super duper Dupe.

I dont Mean serving in the WH. I mean make illegal like it is in Europe.
Vote Democratic then, dumbass. Someday we'll get 60 votes again and fix this ridiculous giveaway to the rich garbage GOP mess. Massachusetts voted in Scott Brown and wrecked Obama, goddamn idiots...

My vote is irrelevant the state always voted blue.
Are you really that stupid? Please answer honestly
Scott Brown was not blue and wrecked Obama's administration. I live in New York and my district voted 73% Trump.

We are discussing POTUS voting
Well you have an intelligent state. So do I. Very happy to be here.

Nope They are Nationalized. You are wrong again. Leftist Fascist
Nationalized not really. The payment system is nationalized but their doctors make fine money, not as much as ours of course. Our system is ridiculously expensive, Republican doctors. LOL my father was a doctor who was for socialized medicine since 1940. our health system costs twice as much as England's per capita 50% more than France's and it sucks. My mother the Royal nurse would say where are the orderlies, the nurses here are ruined by the time they're 50.

Our healthcare system sucks. ACA made it worse as only the insurance companies profited. Look a plastic and laser eye surgery. Not regulated. Cash pay and now laser eye surgery is fairly cheap because of the number of doctors doing it. Capitalism works. ACA sucks but healthcare system sucked even before ACA. Mess.
It's getting better thanks to Obamacare competition and transparency. And it helps the people on Medicaid a lot. and 75% on the exchanges pay less than $100 a month so that they are doing well and it's coming down price wise.

Greedy insurance companies have never done better. Makes me ill. Ironic isn’t it?

Well of course. I knew the insurance companies would make more money than ever, no matter what Obama did.

This is another one of the fascinating aspects of left-wing ideology, is that they don't seem to even see the natural results of their own views.

When you regulate an industry.... naturally.... they will end up making more money.

Why is that? Because if you regulate an industry, you will reduce competition. By it's very nature, regulations will reduce competition.

Well what happens if you reduce the supply of a product? The price goes up.

Fewer competing insurance companies, providing fewer competing insurance options... means they can charge more.

Even if they had not eliminated pre-existing condition clauses, this would happen. Even if they didn't require insurance cover a pre-defined list of things, this would happen.

You combine both the massive regulations reducing competition, plus all the requirements for mininum coverage, and the elimination of pre-existing condition clauses.......

Yeah... OF COURSE the big insurance companies are going to make larger and larger profits, thanks to your regulations.
The hell they will. Competition and transparency are going to start hurting them. Same with hospitals and very highly paid doctors.

I dont Mean serving in the WH. I mean make illegal like it is in Europe.
Vote Democratic then, dumbass. Someday we'll get 60 votes again and fix this ridiculous giveaway to the rich garbage GOP mess. Massachusetts voted in Scott Brown and wrecked Obama, goddamn idiots...

Scott Brown was not blue and wrecked Obama's administration. I live in New York and my district voted 73% Trump.

You don’t get off that easily. So you admit your comment was idiotic then and never compare your loser state to mine. Our sports teams thrash yours. Our universities are way superior to yours.

You don’t get off that easily. So you admit your comment was idiotic then and never compare your loser state to mine. Our sports teams thrash yours. Our universities are way superior to yours.
I'm a red Sox fan and have been since 1975 c
New York has some good universities and sports teams also LOL. Both democratic States so they're intelligent as opposed to your views...

New York has some good universities and sports teams also LOL. Both democratic States so they're intelligent as opposed to your views...
The whole country is going to hell middle class and infrastructure under GOP tax rates since 1982. Don't blame the Democrats and you're stupid state LOL. How could they vote for Scott Brown I'm still amazed.

You’re a Sox fan? Well I ll be damned. We have MIT and Harvard. Stop it.

The whole country is going to hell middle class and infrastructure under GOP tax rates since 1982. Don't blame the Democrats and you're stupid state LOL. How could they vote for Scott Brown I'm still amazed.

Martha Coakley was a corrupt opponent

Surprising you're so proud of those. I'm a Democrat so Boston is me all over. As a republican you are Yankee fan. LOL

Surprising you're so proud of those. I'm a Democrat so Boston is me all over. As a republican you are Yankee fan. LOL

No!!!

The top 20% of households paid 88.1% of federal income taxes, and 69.5% of total federal taxes in 2015, ATR notes, citing the most recent numbers provided by the Congressional Budget Office.

54646-home-figure.png

The top one percent (around 1.2 million households) paid 39.4% of federal income taxes and 26.2% of total federal taxes, at an average total tax rate of 33.3%, dropping its average income from $1.9 million to $1.2 million. Its total percent of income was 16.6% before taxes and 13.2% after taxes.

A few key numbers from the other four quintiles via the CBO's 2015 report:

• The fourth quintile was taxed at 17.9% federal income tax and saw its average income of $108,000 drop to $91,000. Its share of income was 20% before and after taxes.
  • The middle quintile was taxed at 14% federal income tax and saw its average income drop from $71,000 to $65,000. Share of income: 13.6% before taxes, 14.7% after.
  • The second quintile paid 9.2% federal income tax but saw its average income of $44,000 increase to $47,000 from means-tested transfers. Share of income: 8.7% before transfers and taxes, 11% after.
  • The bottom quintile paid 1.5% federal income tax and saw its average income of $20,000 grow from transfers to $33,000. Share of income: $3.7 before transfers and taxes, 11% after.

So why are we thinking of taxing the rich even more? How about addressing:

-- Entitlements;
-- Illegal Immigration - each illegal costs us ~$77k per year;
-- Fraud in our welfare system ($1.1Trn welfare system)

My solutions would be:

-- Entitlement reform in terms of raising the retirement age and giving people under 30 the option to invest SS monies privately (exiting the Social program). Reform Medicare and Medicaid. Use vouchers perhaps.

-- Get rid of sanctuary cities and enforce deportations.

-- Hire more officers to enforce waste and fraud.

Thoughts....?
That's just income tax. Theres sales and payroll to take into account. Also, the lower quintiles are spending more of their money for things they need and all of that is taxed.

I challenge your number of ~77k per illegal. Most of them work and are not that different from a citizen. And how much is the cost of a citizen?

I challenge your 1t lost on welfare fraud. We have rich corporations and individuals getting welfare that are rife with frauds and unethical behavior. Is that taken into account? Is the subsidization of rich companies or people through fail trickle down policy taken into account? Just because they turn a profit and arent at face illegal doesnt mean it's all positive and worth it.

Is your solution status quo then?
I think the full set of taxes should be based on consumption and need. This would include a metric of consumption of economic output as a whole. Something like a modified income tax that include the lowest earners. If possible a 2 to 3 tier deep analysis of consumption of public spending, both direct and indirect benefit. Finding a balancing point among all types of tax and the different levels of govt is something to be worked out by legislatures, think tanks, and limited pilot programs. I doubt the data and algorithm is available to do a good job of it just yet, particularly the indirect benefit of tier 2 and 3. Once it can all be calculated and tested out, it should be simplified with fewer points of failure so the governments cant mess it up.

The estate tax might be one of the few exceptions. It should remain intact and could be adjusted. It could encourage philanthropy more maybe. No tax would invite our demise under oligarchy. The republic and representation would become a sham and we'd re-enter ancient forms of society organically like a de facto means tested caste system which I believe is not far off under radical conservatism.

"Top 20% of households"? That's a strange way to put it. Actually it's about 1% of the population that pay 90% of the taxes.

Forum List

Back