Too harsh! Trump suggests Desantis' 6 week abortion law went too far

Conservative from Georgia

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2018
Donald Trump seems to be open to admitting that when a woman is pregnant whatever is in her womb is not always a "baby".
As a moderate conservative I believe that this is a good view and Desantis is too much of a conservative.
Being a conservative is fine but not too conservative.
Do you think a woman has a baby in her womb throughout the whole pregnancy?

I know for sure the next day it is not a baby. I know for sure when it is viable it is a baby and murder to abort it. Now the problem for me is at what point it is murder. I am fortunate I am not able to get pregnant so I will not have to worry about it further.

Trump made himself clear on this at the CNN interview... he said this is a very serious and emotional subject we face in America and the world today... and harsh moves at this point either way is not the right way to go...
I personally applaud Ron for what he did and know why he did it... but Trump made sense when he said we need a national conversation on this with all of the states participating and of course we need some kind of sensible limitations going forward...

I must say that as a Trump supporter that I'm appalled. What about this ban is too harsh? I don't think that it's harsh enough where it shouldn't be happening at all unless for a very good reason/last resort.

Trump made himself clear on this at the CNN interview... he said this is a very serious and emotional subject we face in America and the world today... and harsh moves at this point either way is not the right way to go...
I personally applaud Ron for what he did and know why he did it... but Trump made sense when he said we need a national conversation on this with all of the states participating and of course we need some kind of sensible limitations going forward...
Why would we need a national conversation?

It's in the states now to do what they want. 10th amendment and all.

Standards and reciprocity across the nation... we can't have a state completely ban all abortions while the state next door is wide open on demand... so cooperation and agreements should happen... and it can happen... that's all Trump was saying and I agree with him....

Agree. The religious nuts calling fetuses younger than 8 weeks late a "baby" have lost their marbles.
Religious nuts are a threat to the party.
I'm one of the "religious nuts"...and fervently anti-abortion.

Everyone outside of the abortion debate calls it a baby.

Only people with an agenda use the word "fetus" to describe what a pregnant woman is carrying in her womb.

Ever heard a pregnant woman say 'the fetus just kicked'?

Or "I have a neonatal appointment to check on my fetus's health".

So, no. You haven't found an ally in your quest to purge the religious with me.

Last edited:
Donald Trump seems to be open to admitting that when a woman is pregnant whatever is in her womb is not always a "baby".
As a moderate conservative I believe that this is a good view and Desantis is too much of a conservative.
Being a conservative is fine but not too conservative.
Do you think a woman has a baby in her womb throughout the whole pregnancy?

Where's the poll?

Because there is a compromise to be had...a compromise between the rights of the unborn child and the freedom of choice of the mother.

Neither side is going to be happy with it.

Standards and reciprocity across the nation... we can't have a state completely ban all abortions while the state next door is wide open on demand... so cooperation and agreements should happen... and it can happen... that's all Trump was saying and I agree with him....
What sort of agreements and cooperation wouldn't violate a states tenth amendment right to have legal abortions?

Why can't we have some states ban and another in demand?

Because there is a compromise to be had...a compromise between the rights of the unborn child and the freedom of choice of the mother.

Neither side is going to be happy with it.
The tenth amendment doesn't require compromise.

It means states can do what they want.

What you are saying sounds a like a nationwide abortion ban...or severe restrictions...which I expect is the ultimate goal of the religious zealots that have infiltrated the Republican party.

What sort of agreements and cooperation wouldn't violate a states tenth amendment right to have legal abortions?

Why can't we have some states ban and another in demand?
10th amendment.... The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.
This is why Roe V Wade had to be overturned... the federal government forcing states to honor Roe V Wade's court decision was unconstitutional... the way to settle this argument would be to get all the states to send teams in to a room and hash this out....
Not to make abortion illegal but to make it as rare as possible with limits both sides can agree to... right now there are nut cases that want abortion to be legal up to the hour of a birth... and the other side has extremists too that want doctors executed for murder....
We can come up with a much more reasonable agreement that will work across the nation if we try....
But the extremists don't want that and neither do many democrats that want this to forever be a campaign issue....
So where do you stand?....

10th amendment.... The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.
This is why Roe V Wade had to be overturned... the federal government forcing states to honor Roe V Wade's court decision was unconstitutional... the way to settle this argument would be to get all the states to send teams in to a room and hash this out....

SCOTUS didn't do it because they had too, they did it because that is what the federalist society wanted and republican presidents only pick from a shortlist of judges the federalist society allows.

Based on your logic SCOTUS would "have to" overturn the right to travel, the right to marry and presumption of innocence which are based on the 9th amendment just like abortion was before 50 years of constitutional precedent was broken. But hey, I get it..Roe was just a court case and can be overturned by the right group of judges...like Hellar.

Not to make abortion illegal but to make it as rare as possible with limits both sides can agree to... right now there are nut cases that want abortion to be legal up to the hour of a birth... and the other side has extremists too that want doctors executed for murder....

Nobody advocates for abortion that late unless their is a danger to the baby or mother.

We can come up with a much more reasonable agreement that will work across the nation if we try....

The agreement was letting the tenth amendment decide.

But the extremists don't want that and neither do many democrats that want this to forever be a campaign issue....
So where do you stand?....
I stand with the constitution. It is now a tenth amendment state issue.

SCOTUS didn't do it because they had too, they did it because that is what the federalist society wanted and republican presidents only pick from a shortlist of judges the federalist society allows.

Based on your logic SCOTUS would "have to" overturn the right to travel, the right to marry and presumption of innocence which are based on the 9th amendment just like abortion was before 50 years of constitutional precedent was broken. But hey, I get it..Roe was just a court case and can be overturned by the right group of judges...like Hellar.

Nobody advocates for abortion that late unless their is a danger to the baby or mother.

The agreement was letting the tenth amendment decide.

I stand with the constitution. It is now a tenth amendment state issue.
People who care about the constitution have been advocating the overturning of Roe since the start because its bad law and it was unconstitutional... so it was a good thing to overturn it and allow the states to work it out state by state... what Trump suggested was a nation wide agreement on limits that everyone can live with....
And you are wrong about late term abortions not being asked for without a health of the mother concern... it happens more than you know... people break up and women change their minds and even sometimes women or young girls do not know they are pregnant until they are about to deliver... Trump stated clear as day... that he is pro life with exceptions like rape incest and the woman's health...
And yes its now a state issue but that does not mean the states can't draw some lines of comparison... even some of the more hardened pro choice advocates want limits in the 3rd trimester...
its too bad the media wants to not cover what Trump says because he makes a lot of sense in this issue....

People who care about the constitution have been advocating the overturning of Roe since the start because its bad law and it was unconstitutional...

That funny because I think people who care about the constitution have advocated for Roe to stay the law of the land.

so it was a good thing to overturn it and allow the states to work it out state by state... what Trump suggested was a nation wide agreement on limits that everyone can live with....

Sure I'm fine with it being overturned. It is what it is. So it essentially moved from a 9th amendment issue to a tenth amendment one.

The tenth amendment doesn't need a nationwide agreement. If SCOTUS wanted a nationwide agreement they could have changed the qualifiers for legal abortion that the courts spelled at when roe v Wade was decided.

And you are wrong about late term abortions not being asked for without a health of the mother concern... it happens more than you know... people break up and women change their minds and even sometimes women or young girls do not know they are pregnant until they are about to deliver...

Very rarely. Got a Link?

Trump stated clear as day... that he is pro life with exceptions like rape incest and the woman's health...

Which of course is different then what he thought before running for president but he knew he had to cater to religious zealots.

And yes its now a state issue but that does not mean the states can't draw some lines of comparison... even some of the more hardened pro choice advocates want limits in the 3rd trimester...
its too bad the media wants to not cover what Trump says because he makes a lot of sense in this issue....
If states want to collaborate on laws with each other then sure, why not; but certainly states are under no obligation, legal or otherwise, to mirror abortion laws of other states.

Forum List

Back