Too Fat to Parent?

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
A Canadian judge has ruled a single father in Ottawa is too obese to be a good parent and ordered his two children put up for adoption.

The 39-year-old man, who can't be identified to protect the identities of his sons, lost his custody battle launched by the Children's Aid Society, the Ottawa Citizen reported.

The man weighs 380 pounds and argued unsuccessfully that on his own, he slimmed from 525 pounds since last year with diet and exercise in order to keep his sons, 6 and 7. Both boys are classed as having special needs.

Court heard the father once had two profitable businesses with his estranged wife of three years. One was a lucrative computer business and the other was an illegal marijuana farm. The man acknowledged he was once also a heavy marijuana user himself, but has given it up.

In his ruling, the judge noted neither of the boys showed signs of, or reported any abuse. The judge acknowledged the father "has achieved personal stability," but expressed concern about his ability to maintain it.

"(The father's) weight loss regime is itself a full-time job," the judge ruled. "So is parenting two high-needs children. One will inevitably have to give ground to the other."

Read more: Man ruled too fat to be a good parent - UPI.com

No abuse.
Lost 165 lbs. as ordered by the Court.
Judgment based on predicting the future.

Comments?

A Canadian judge has ruled a single father in Ottawa is too obese to be a good parent and ordered his two children put up for adoption.

The 39-year-old man, who can't be identified to protect the identities of his sons, lost his custody battle launched by the Children's Aid Society, the Ottawa Citizen reported.

The man weighs 380 pounds and argued unsuccessfully that on his own, he slimmed from 525 pounds since last year with diet and exercise in order to keep his sons, 6 and 7. Both boys are classed as having special needs.

Court heard the father once had two profitable businesses with his estranged wife of three years. One was a lucrative computer business and the other was an illegal marijuana farm. The man acknowledged he was once also a heavy marijuana user himself, but has given it up.

In his ruling, the judge noted neither of the boys showed signs of, or reported any abuse. The judge acknowledged the father "has achieved personal stability," but expressed concern about his ability to maintain it.

"(The father's) weight loss regime is itself a full-time job," the judge ruled. "So is parenting two high-needs children. One will inevitably have to give ground to the other."

Read more: Man ruled too fat to be a good parent - UPI.com

No abuse.
Lost 165 lbs. as ordered by the Court.
Judgment based on predicting the future.

Comments?

If the man hunts down and kills the people that took his kids from him

I wouldn't blame him.

damn libtards can't even leave families in one piece.

glad I'm not filled with such hate

I saw some wacky woman on Fox this morning arguing that this was a good ruling and in the best interests of the children. Her argument was based on the fact that - gasp - the children might end up fat too!

I've met some horrible parents in my lifetime. If every parent who didn't care properly for their children were to have them taken away, we'd be a nation of orphans.

So sad.

Even at 525 lbs the response should be to get the family additional assistance and monitor that the children are being taken care of

There are many handicapped parents who make good parents with a little assistance. Would you take away the children if he were blind or in a wheelchair?

This is just sick. Out of control government.
Inb4 someone says that's what Gov't is for, to "take care of us". :uhoh3:

America already has something similar, they're called "Family Courts". They have no jurisdiction or weight of any law behind them so you have to agree to go to them (That's called "Consent")

The "judge" will hear what a lousy parent you are and take your kids and put them into Child Protective Services where they'll be drugged, excuse me, they'll receive much needed "medication". Good luck getting them back.

I know you guys think I'm joking. Just Google CPS, Family Courts and "read all about it". :eek:

The article doesn't say. In fact the term used in Canada is "high needs".

In my school district, 25 percent are classified "special needs" and another ten are "at risk". It could include just about anything.

Forum List

Back