'Tonight Show' under fire for toxic workplace.

odanny

Diamond Member
May 7, 2017
Midwest - Trumplandia
Perhaps people just crack up when placed under too much pressure. I think most of the pressure is placed on the backs of show producers, who then transfer this agression onto everyone else. A rather long story breaks it down.

It was a particularly tense day on the set of The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon. The host, known for his warm and congenial presence onscreen, was acting especially dismissive and irritable during production meetings, a former longtime employee tells Rolling Stone. Then he stumbled through rehearsal in front of a studio audience, who typically sit in on rehearsals for the late-night show. Employees who spoke to Rolling Stone about their experiences working on The Tonight Show say it’s common knowledge behind the scenes that there are “good Jimmy days” — where Fallon’s wit and charm and creativity are on full display — and “bad Jimmy days.” This was a “bad Jimmy day,” according to the employee.

They say Fallon seemed to be confused during rehearsal that day in 2017 when he crossed out jokes on the piece of paper he was holding, riffed with the audience for a bit, then quizzically looked back down at the same sheet of paper.

“He couldn’t remember he had just crossed it out himself,” the employee says. “I was like, ‘Oh, my God, he [seems] drunk. He doesn’t know what he’s doing. This could be awful — this could be the end of the show right here.’” Another staffer says they too witnessed the incident from a live studio feed inside their office.

According to two current and 14 former employees, The Tonight Show has been a toxic workplace for years — far outside the boundaries of what’s considered normal in the high-pressure world of late-night TV. They say the ugly environment behind the scenes starts at the top with Fallon’s erratic behavior, and has trickled down to its ever-changing leadership teams — nine showrunners in the past nine years — who seemingly don’t know how to say no to Jimmy. Former employees describe The Tonight Show as a tense and “pretty glum atmosphere,” with some alleging they were belittled and intimidated by their bosses, including Fallon himself. Employees describe being afraid of Fallon’s “outbursts” and unexpected, inconsistent behavior. Many of these staffers voiced their concerns through HR complaints, but problems at The Tonight Show persisted.

Perhaps people just crack up when placed under too much pressure. I think most of the pressure is placed on the backs of show producers, who then transfer this agression onto everyone else. A rather long story breaks it down.

It was a particularly tense day on the set of The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon. The host, known for his warm and congenial presence onscreen, was acting especially dismissive and irritable during production meetings, a former longtime employee tells Rolling Stone. Then he stumbled through rehearsal in front of a studio audience, who typically sit in on rehearsals for the late-night show. Employees who spoke to Rolling Stone about their experiences working on The Tonight Show say it’s common knowledge behind the scenes that there are “good Jimmy days” — where Fallon’s wit and charm and creativity are on full display — and “bad Jimmy days.” This was a “bad Jimmy day,” according to the employee.

They say Fallon seemed to be confused during rehearsal that day in 2017 when he crossed out jokes on the piece of paper he was holding, riffed with the audience for a bit, then quizzically looked back down at the same sheet of paper.

“He couldn’t remember he had just crossed it out himself,” the employee says. “I was like, ‘Oh, my God, he [seems] drunk. He doesn’t know what he’s doing. This could be awful — this could be the end of the show right here.’” Another staffer says they too witnessed the incident from a live studio feed inside their office.

According to two current and 14 former employees, The Tonight Show has been a toxic workplace for years — far outside the boundaries of what’s considered normal in the high-pressure world of late-night TV. They say the ugly environment behind the scenes starts at the top with Fallon’s erratic behavior, and has trickled down to its ever-changing leadership teams — nine showrunners in the past nine years — who seemingly don’t know how to say no to Jimmy. Former employees describe The Tonight Show as a tense and “pretty glum atmosphere,” with some alleging they were belittled and intimidated by their bosses, including Fallon himself. Employees describe being afraid of Fallon’s “outbursts” and unexpected, inconsistent behavior. Many of these staffers voiced their concerns through HR complaints, but problems at The Tonight Show persisted.
He had me fooled but I kind of knew he was an asshole when I heard he hit someone who was making fun of him in public. I just remember thinking what a spaz. I didn’t know it was this bad.

Ellen, Oprah, Martha Stewart, The Kardashians, Kelly clarkston, Kelly rippa, Steve Harvey, you wonder which ones are really nice Or fake for tv.

Forum List

Back