Today in History: The Slocum, TX Massacre of 1910

Its weird how racists hate stuff like this being posted. It would seem like they would be proud of their work. :dunno:

This is just an example of their work in this country and the wishful thinking they still harbor. Black success after 310 years of slavery and subsequent Jim Crow laws seems to infuriate them. My belief is that these racists would love to rid the earth of Black people and are astonished at how strong we are.

Thanks for posting this- I had not heard of this attack before

Worth posting some of the details

On July 29, 1910, citizens in the small, predominately African American town of Slocum, Texas, were massacred.

That morning, hundreds of white citizens from the surrounding community converged on Slocum. Over the following days terror reigned for the African American citizens as individuals were gunned down working fields and seeking shelter in their homes.

Even those who tried to leave town were not safe. Many bodies were found shot in the woods, with their travel packs at their sides. While there has never been a clear figure of how many died, estimates range from 8 to 25. Many suspect the toll was much higher.

Families want justice for 1910 Anderson County Slocum Massacre - KYTX CBS19.tv - News Weather Sports Tyler-Longview

"
It's been over a century and there is no historical marker, or justice for the descendants of the families affected. Today, that's what they're fighting for.

"It's surreal standing here. Look, I'm getting chill bumps."

There's a reason for that. Constance Hollie Jawaid says that as she stands where her family members were murdered a century ago.

"It is very emotional, just to look there at the creek and know that's where I lost uncles, cousins, family members," she says.

The Slocum Massacre started at Sadler Creek, then violence moved to Ioni creek, where Constance's uncle and cousin were killed.

"My great grandfather was the primary landowner here in Slocum," she says. "He owned the only store here in Slocum, a dairy a granary, 700 plus acres. It's his son and cousin who were first shot here on Ioni Creek, Alex Holley and Lusk Holley.""

What we learned today.......more blacks killed by other blacks so far this year in Chicago then killed by whites in Slocum in 1910.

Crap!

"The most recent was a 15-year-old boy who was killed near 28th and Keeler.

Police say he was a known gang member.

An 18-year-old man was killed at 81st and Manistee Sunday morning.

No arrests have been made.

Other deadly shootings happened in Humboldt Park, Greater Grand Crossing, and North Lawndale neighborhoods.

Police say at least 28 people were wounded in shootings this weekend."

A "known gang member at 15?!

This is great. Someone actually wrote a book about the event.

"Bills finished writing a book this year called "The 1910 Slocum Massacre: An Act of Genocide in East Texas." It came out this March. He has joined Constance and her brother Leo on their quest for justice and answers.

"There were reports of unmarked graves where a dozen, 16, 17, 18 bodies were covered up," Bills says. " The oral history, the families that were affected estimate at least 200 were killed. There are several different theories of why it happened. Essentially it was a racial expulsion. A Texas politician Jerry Sadler says it was pure and simple just a land grab."

The 1910 Slocum Massacre An Act of Genocide in East Texas E. R. Bills 9781626193529 Amazon.com Books

51bKIpJxz5L._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Everytime Black people built something, jealous whites destroyed it. This stuff is never mentioned in the news or your American history books but it is important to remember the psychology of those that did the deed.

Jul. 29 1910 Slocum Massacre in Texas Zinn Education Project

There is a lot of history that hopefully will now be taught since the old white christians are losing power and dying off

Rosewood Massacre 1923 The Black Past Remembered and Reclaimed
Definitely a KKK killing...

The Rosewood Massacre of 1923

Despite the tension, the situation might have simmered down had it not been for the unfortunate timing of a Ku Klux Klan rally in nearby Gainesville. When Fannie’s husband, James Taylor, sent for help to find the guilty man, upwards of four hundred Ku Klux Klan members showed up at the Taylors’ door and began combing the woods for a suspect, eager to deliver their idea of “justice.”

More about the KKK in Florida during that period.....

Ku Klux Klan met its match in Putnam County in the 1920s Tampa Bay Times

The postwar politics of race and citizenship were particularly brutal in Florida. Black veterans and female leaders of the war effort like Mary McLeod Bethune worked to register blacks to vote in huge numbers before the 1920 election.

White Florida was outraged. The backlash to this voter drive helped launch the Ku Klux Klan back to prominence and made white vigilantes, generally, a powerful force across the state.

The battles culminated on Election Day 1920, when white Democratic Florida largely put down black efforts to vote for the Republican candidate, Warren G. Harding.

In 1923, lynchingsdeclined nationally almost by half, from 57 in 1922 to 33. The reduction reflected growing revulsion over the practice and coincided with pursuit of a federal anti-lynching bill that never became law.

But Florida defied these trends. Two men, both with Ku Klux Klan ties, leapt to challenge Hagan in the spring 1924 Democratic primary. Hagan took to thePalatka Daily News to describe his view of the Klan and its members, some of whom he described as "friends."

"I have recently been asked repeatedly if I am a member of the Ku Klux Klan. To this question I answer, no. I believe I know many members of the Putnam County Klan, and I know them to be good men individually. … I am not, and would not be a member, however, of any organization which appears to differ in policies from those who do not belong to its ranks, for the reason that as sheriff I believe it to be my duty to be perfectly free to serve all the of the people and not an organized part of them; I wish to feel perfectly free to perform my duties without obligations to any order …"

That was the wrong answer anywhere in Florida in 1924.

Hagan lost handily to a man named R.J. Hancock. With Hagan gone, the Florida Klan essentially took over Putnam County in 1925.

Virtually every weekend, vigilantes kidnapped men and women, black and white, and flogged them with straps or chains as punishment for some transgression. Sheriff Hancock's chief deputy was identified as a leader of the mobs.

Most of the time, the raids and abductions revolved around drinking. The Klan considered enforcement of Prohibition part of its larger mission to police social, sexual and religious mores.

Klansmen castrated a prominent Catholic priest at the University of Florida and then dumped him bleeding on the steps of his church. They flogged women they thought might be having affairs. Between 1924 and 1928, Klan mobs carried out as many as 80 of these nonfatal punishments in Putnam County.

It reached a head in the summer of 1926, the same fearful summer that saw Florida's land boom crash with desperate suddenness. That August, Putnam Klansmen abducted a black woman named Minnie Pinkney, who was supposedly known for drinking and carousing.

The men took her to a wooded area, stripped her and beat her nearly to death. Pinkney's son and nephew, Willie Steene and Ed Chisholm, came looking for her. Both men were murdered by vigilantes where they found her.

The killings gave ammunition to Palatka's formidable local opponents of the Klan — which included prominent lawyers and businesspeople, white and black. They forced a state attorney's investigation of Klan and mob activities in Putnam County. It was the first, and apparently only, investigation of its kind during the 1920s.

No one was punished. But in September 1926 Gov. John Martin summoned Putnam County Sheriff R.J. Hancock, Hancock's top deputy and the Palatka mayor to Tallahassee for a dressing-down. He threatened to declare martial law in Putnam if authorities did not halt the mobs.

More proof that the KKK was still a Democrat organization actively involved in killing blacks...

Have the Democrats paid reperations yet???

Yesterday was the anniversary of something tomorrow will be the anniversary of something as well.
Thats great. Whatever it is you can put it in current events. If you dont like what I posted....tough.
If you don't like my response to what you posted tough. FYI it was twenty years ago today SGT Pepper taught the band to play.

Yesterday was the anniversary of something tomorrow will be the anniversary of something as well.
Thats great. Whatever it is you can put it in current events. If you dont like what I posted....tough.
If you don't like my response to what you posted tough. FYI it was twenty years ago today SGT Pepper taught the band to play.
I thought your response was amusing to be honest. Seems like you are butthurt over the thread.

I thought your response was amusing to be honest. Seems like you are butthurt over the thread.
You might find this shocking but message board threads and where they are posted aren't a big concern of mine.

You might find this shocking but message board threads and where they are posted aren't a big concern of mine.
I do find your lie to be shocking. Of course this thread was of interest. You posted something in it trying to take away from the OP. Its obvious it causes you emotional trauma. My question is why? You didnt take part in this so why are you butt hurt?

I do find your lie to be shocking. Of course this thread was of interest. You posted something in it trying to take away from the OP. Its obvious it causes you emotional trauma. My question is why? You didnt take part in this so why are you butt hurt?
Sparky you need to let some air out of your ego there are many times I click on and respond to threads simply out boredom. What I am sensing is you are someone who seems to have serious need for attention and validation might I suggest you get over yourself.

Sparky you need to let some air out of your ego there are many times I click on and respond to threads simply out boredom. What I am sensing is you are someone who seems to have serious need for attention and validation might I suggest you get over yourself.
You dont sound very convincing. Stop trying to make me think you dont care when its obvious you desperately do. Since I posted the thread and you tried to change the focus you are the one that seems to be in search of validation and attention. Start your own thread about you if you are feeling insecure.

Asclepias

Since we're talking deflection, how about addressing the fact that both attacks on blacks mentioned in this thread were perpetrated by Democrats???

Or is deflection OK if a liberal tries it???

You dont sound very convincing. Stop trying to make me think you dont care when its obvious you desperately do. Since I posted the thread and you tried to change the focus you are the one that seems to be in search of validation and attention. Start your own thread about you if you are feeling insecure.
Funny given you keep responding if you weren't looking for attention and validation you would have simply ignored my original post. I will admit that since then I have been enabling your condition by continuing to respond to you so to help you fight your condition this will be my final response. I can only wonder will you have the strength not to respond or will your need be to great even knowing I'm gone.

Asclepias

Since we're talking deflection, how about addressing the fact that both attacks on blacks mentioned in this thread were perpetrated by Democrats???

Or is deflection OK if a liberal tries it???
We dont actually know if they were Democrats. Do you have a list of the people involved in the attacks so we can verify their political party? If you dont then you are just making a lot of noise for nothing since it was never a question to me which political party was represented. My only proclamation was that insecure white men were at the root of this and many other incidents like it. Ironically, todays party of the GOP seem to mimic the same thought process of the men that did this.

Forum List

Back