Today: 6.4 magnitude earthquake near Hualian, Taiwan, Taiwan

There was an earthquake today and buildings would have collapsed, I have no more information.

Today's Earthquakes in Taiwan
Earthquakes on Taiwan are the norm, in the year I was there (1971 - 1972) I experienced around 6 fairly good sized ones and an untold number of small ones. It's location on the border of the Philippine Sea Plate and the Eurasian Plate makes it a hotbed for tectonic plate movement, geologists love Taiwan for that reason alone.

There was an earthquake today and buildings would have collapsed, I have no more information.

Earthquakes on Taiwan are the norm, in the year I was there (1971 - 1972) I experienced around 6 fairly good sized ones and an untold number of small ones. It's location on the border of the Philippine Sea Plate and the Eurasian Plate makes it a hotbed for tectonic plate movement, geologists love Taiwan for that reason alone.
Thank you, earthquakes seem more and more common in the world

Compared to which era?

1. It is estimated that there are 500,000 detectable earthquakes in the world each year. 100,000 of those can be felt, and 100 of them cause damage.
Earthquake Facts

Not necessarily, more likely just reported on more often.

I have a question that may seem silly but it's not my specialty.
Was the fact that Kim Jong-a throwing missiles could have had an impact on the ground plates?

Was the fact that Kim Jong-a throwing missiles could have had an impact on the ground plates?
I seriously doubt it, there's simply a lot of constant tectonic movement in that area.

Taiwan Tectonics and Seismicity = regional tectonics

Taiwan Moves Closer to Mainland, Pulled by Forces That Molded Its Mountains

I seriously doubt it, there's simply a lot of constant tectonic movement in that area.

Would the impact of the missiles on the ground not cause vibrations that would make the plates moves?

Would the impact of the missiles on the ground not cause vibrations that would make the plates moves?
No, the forces that move the plates make a surface nuclear missile impact seem like a bug hitting a windshield unless the nuke was able to bore it's way to the bottom of the plate at the juncture of two or more plates then the energy released would seriously amplify the already existing forces and cause massive movement.

Today’s was shallow-
0CDEDD2A-430F-4BA0-9DAF-D885610E6042.jpeg
C18F11BB-F465-487A-AD5E-1CE557BEBB02.jpeg
F6B15A9E-7DAA-47E8-AA10-8DBD5A5C9286.jpeg

Today’s was shallow-
View attachment 175214 View attachment 175215 View attachment 175216

Shallow earthquakes are much more destructive as the seismic waves don't have as far to travel hence retaining much of their energy.

Today’s was shallow-

Shallow earthquakes are much more destructive as the seismic waves don't have as far to travel hence retaining much of their energy.
Launched missiles do not act the same way? they release a lot of energy

Today’s was shallow-

Launched missiles do not act the same way? they release a lot of energy
Yes but on a much smaller scale. It's like a high explosive shell hitting a tank, yes there is a huge energy release but it's mostly dissipated outward and does little damage except for the concussive wave that could kill the occupants but not do serious damage to the skin of the tank. Now an armor piercing shell get's through the "crust" (tank skin) and can blow the whole tank apart from the inside, it's basic physics.

99.9% of liberal Scientists say man made global warming is to blame:banana:

99.9% of liberal Scientists say man made global warming is to blame:banana:
What a fucking dumb ass you are, Deno. No, the tectonic quakes have nothing to do with global warming. Yes, global warming can cause earthquakes. As the ice melts off of Greenland and Antarctica, there will be isostatic rebound, and that will cause earthquakes. But not the big ones like those from tectonic forces.

Forum List

Back