To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee taken off Mississippi school reading list

In the end, these children of parents who want to "protect" them from any discussion of issues and any education will be the ones to suffer. They will be the ones who have four kids by the time they are in their early 20s and who can't get a job except for in some factory or restaurant somewhere, unable to compete in a global economy. But these parents want their kids to suffer as adults and it's their "right" to make this happen.
My school-required reading (so long ago) included such works of literature as The Yearling, The Oxbow Incident, The Diary of Anne Frank, To Kill a Mocking Bird, All Quiet on the Western Front, The Federalist Papers, The Jungle, Native Son, Huck Finn, The Brothers Karamazov, Winesburg, Ohio, Is Paris Burning?, For Whom the Bell Tolls, My Antonia, Ethan Frome, and Anna Karenina. So many great literary works have been published since then.
I don't know why parents in Mississippi want to stunt their children's intellectual growth and deny them their cultural background. But it is these kids who must hold their parents accountable.

the Left runs from honest debate by using victimhood to shield themselves from criticism.

Liberals prey on this deep-seated American instinct to aid the needy by constantly bellyaching that they have been mortally offended. They are not offended—they are offending. They are not wounded victims—they are the marauding oppressors. They are not innocents—they are the guilty.

The Democrat party platform is the victimhood Olympics. Nothing more. It's why they will eat themselves.

Last edited:
Neither Brand Name party gives a mighty crap about Freedom or Civil Liberties or tolerance. They all now accept bigger and more muscular govt. Because that's where the POWER resides to grant all the petty little wishes of all the petty little tyrants that are easily made uncomfortable by freedoms.

New leadership has to stress TOLERANCE and CHOICE in all these conflicts. Because without those 2 things, there IS no freedom or liberty.

Ya'll would laugh your faces off at the letters I've received challenging books over offensive content.
But it's your job to make sure left-wing books with material offensive to Christians, stays in the library so children have full access.

Got it.

A great many Christians hold moderate, progressive, and left-leaning political views and are not offended by what you describe as "left-wing books." It is just nonsense to try to meld the Christian faith and right-wing politics. When I was growing up in the Christian faith, in a majority-Christian community with a church on just about every corner, we had to read To Kill A Mocking Bird and no one found anything offensive in it.

OMG, leave it to Mississippi. Will they go to book burning next?

To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee’s classic novel about racism and the American south, has been removed from a junior-high reading list in a Mississippi school district because the language in the book “makes people uncomfortable”.

<more>
So what?

If you want your kid to read it then you make them read it.

To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee’s classic novel about racism and the American south, has been removed from a junior-high reading list in a Mississippi school district because the language in the book “makes people uncomfortable”.

<more>
Progressives love burning books…

Are there progressives in Mississippi?
There are they are, they are in the schools... lol
And 'smart' people like you quit school in the third grade, correct? And never bothered to read more than three books in your whole life? I suppose the dialogue in one of those made you uncomfortable, "Run, Jane, run, see Jane run". LOL

I can remember when some people wanted to remove 'Tom Sawyer' from the libraries because it made people uncomfortable. But then, you don't have to worry, a book unread will not make you uncomfortable, Rustic.

<more>
Progressives love burning books…

Are there progressives in Mississippi?
There are they are, they are in the schools... lol
And 'smart' people like you quit school in the third grade, correct? And never bothered to read more than three books in your whole life? I suppose the dialogue in one of those made you uncomfortable, "Run, Jane, run, see Jane run". LOL

I can remember when some people wanted to remove 'Tom Sawyer' from the libraries because it made people uncomfortable. But then, you don't have to worry, a book unread will not make you uncomfortable, Rustic.
Progressives love burning books

It was a very poorly written piece of literature and in fact was propaganda. It should never have been presented in public schools because of those facts. But it was. Guess why.

Mississippi is draining the Swamp of academia apparently!
Another fucked up airhead who has never read any piece of literature, and thinks that a 'Superman' comic is the epitome of American Literature.

btw, how do you abide people who hate you?

just wondering
Muslims have nothing in common with liberals and Democrats, but they insist in trying to befriend us.

We are opposed to homo's and their perverted agenda. Abortion is forbidden in our religion. We believe in the death penalty, and support the 2nd Amendment. We are against legalizing marijuana and other drugs.

Republicans are missing out on a large voting block.

Hopefully that will change. ...... :cool:
No, the Republicans will not change. For the same reason that the biggest killer of Muslims are other Muslims.

<more>
Sad decision, imo. Discussion of racism is SUPPOSED to make people feel uncomfortable. Same with Huckleberry Finn, which is another favorite to pull from the curriculum. Do you think Harper Lee wrote about this to make people feel all warm and fuzzy?
The great thing about Mockingbird is that it was a story told through the eyes of a young girl, making it more accessible for young readers. This is the time of life to start teaching them why racism is wrong.
This school district has made a sad mistake, I think.

It was a very poorly written piece of literature and in fact was propaganda. It should never have been presented in public schools because of those facts. But it was. Guess why.

Mississippi is draining the Swamp of academia apparently!
Who told you it was a very poorly written piece of literature?

Forum List

Back