To Be Irreligious, Stupididy Helps

a belief that a god does not exist is an act of faith every bit as much as a belief that a god does exist is. neither position can be proven to be true or false.

*shrug*

*yawn*

*burp*

The belief that a Yewy-yewy does exists versus the belief that a Yewy-yewy does not exist is mainly based on the definition of what a "Yewy-yewy" is.

Whatever is not defined can not be proven to exist. Nor is there a requirement to disprove it.

a belief that a god does not exist is an act of faith every bit as much as a belief that a god does exist is. neither position can be proven to be true or false.

*shrug*

*yawn*

*burp*

The belief that a Yewy-yewy does exists versus the belief that a Yewy-yewy does not exist is mainly based on the definition of what a "Yewy-yewy" is.

Whatever is not defined can not be proven to exist. Nor is there a requirement to disprove it.

Since there is no consensus re who or what "God" is, wouldn't the same principle apply?

lord_shiva_grinding_bhang_hk18.jpg

If you had been born in Mumbai rather than say, Peoria, you'd likely be Hindu. Does it never occur to you that it is somewhat unfair of any faith to claim to be "The Only Way" when people are so limited in terms of their religious training?

This would be understandable if you had no access to other information. Once you have listened to the "Word", what could be your excuse? Your faith should bring you closer to the truth, not be used to defend sinful behaviour.

If you were raised into another faith, and sought the truth, you would believe in Yeshua. He would be called by another name, but you would believe there was one that was the King of kings, and that He could manipulate the physical laws. Each person is given the ability to reason. It is their choice how they use that reason: do the sink into deception for themselves and so deceive others or do they search for the truth, that there is a Power that is far greater than any that is held by gravity.

Once you witness a better way to live, aren't you obligated to live that way and to try to improve on that life? Or do you reject it because it doesn't fulfill your personal (this world's bodily) desires?

Science is God, God is science, God is all. Belief or no belief I exist, and I can't tell you how or why... but my faith gives me a sense of higher purpose which does enrich my life experience. No matter what we think, believe, or practice, we are temporary sensient beings. Our demise is sealed. Even if faith is merely a way of dealing with our mortality, then that's good enough for me.

lord_shiva_grinding_bhang_hk18.jpg

If you had been born in Mumbai rather than say, Peoria, you'd likely be Hindu. Does it never occur to you that it is somewhat unfair of any faith to claim to be "The Only Way" when people are so limited in terms of their religious training?

This would be understandable if you had no access to other information. Once you have listened to the "Word", what could be your excuse? Your faith should bring you closer to the truth, not be used to defend sinful behaviour.

If you were raised into another faith, and sought the truth, you would believe in Yeshua. He would be called by another name, but you would believe there was one that was the King of kings, and that He could manipulate the physical laws. Each person is given the ability to reason. It is their choice how they use that reason: do the sink into deception for themselves and so deceive others or do they search for the truth, that there is a Power that is far greater than any that is held by gravity.

Once you witness a better way to live, aren't you obligated to live that way and to try to improve on that life? Or do you reject it because it doesn't fulfill your personal (this world's bodily) desires?

So--being raised a Methodist would make me a Methodist today?

Something is flawed with your logic. I am not Methodist nor Christian today, but I have "read" the word. I also read "teachings" from Buddhism, some "not much" Taoism, Hindisim, Zorastrian teachings(you should read this as well if you wish to know where some of the teachings of Christianity comes from!" and quite a bit of Greek Mythology.

In general, there is some claims of the impossible, but the focus is to encourage the individual to live a "civilized" life.

If believing in miracles encourages you to live such a life, then go ahead. But understand, if the "truth" is so powerful a conviction, then there were no need of exalting the speaker before hand. As if miracles serve any other purpose.

The claims

*shrug*

*yawn*

*burp*

Neither can be proven simply because it is impossible to prove a negative. Based on "preponderance of evidence" the non believers win every time.

I am still trying to figure this out

"Science raised to the level of God"

Science is a tool based in naturalistic reasoning. The issue is really one based between the "naturalistic" perspective versus the "supernatural" perspective.

Science is not a god and can never be a god. It lacks the two ancient requirement of defining what a god suppose to be--Sentient(science is not alive) and Power(science requires an agent, such as a human or object, to be applied)

If we refer to theoretical science, Time is the third part of god that could be lacking since not all theories can be proven true--some theories are disproven , thus necessitating the need for a new theory to address the phenomenon being described.

The ancient descriptions of God requires large amounts of Sentients/knowledge, time/immortality and Power, else it fails to be a god.

If you wondering where man falls on this scale, man posses limited sentience, lacks immortality and somewhat limited ability to wield vast amounts of power. Give man immortality and man can become a lesser god. Thus the desire of god/gods(across theology/mythology) to keep man time on earth limited.

Forum List

Back