Tired of winning?: US trade deficit more than expected in October and is now up 10% for 2018

A recession is coming and just in time to blame the new Democratic House.

The GOP always offers the Dems a house full of fresh shit

Then complain when the dems don't "fix it fast enough".

There is not a recession right around the corner.

Your are building a house of lies on top of a pile of bullshit.

I am not so sure. We are due one soon, it has been almost a decade since the last, and we tend to have one every decade or so.

Also, we are now 114 (at the end of Nov) of straight economic expansion, the 2nd longest period in the history of our country and just a tad than a half a year from setting the record.

Our system was built to fail on a regular basis, so we will have another period of such sooner rather than later.

If you have some spare time I suggest your read this book on the subject...https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GMSUUVS/?tag=ff0d01-20

I read so little non fiction these days it is pathetic. The list of things I want to read...

but I will keep your suggestion in mind.

As to the recession, yes, it has been a while, but much of that "growth" was pretty unimpressive, AND imo, the underlying economic policy of the past 50 years has been so bad, that we are artificially repressed, and have a lot of potential for long term growth.

A recession is coming and just in time to blame the new Democratic House.

I am not so sure. We are due one soon, it has been almost a decade since the last, and we tend to have one every decade or so.

Also, we are now 114 (at the end of Nov) of straight economic expansion, the 2nd longest period in the history of our country and just a tad than a half a year from setting the record.

Our system was built to fail on a regular basis, so we will have another period of such sooner rather than later.

If you have some spare time I suggest your read this book on the subject...https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GMSUUVS/?tag=ff0d01-20

All of the indicators are the bull market is ending.

Also every Republican tax cut is followed with a huge increase in government spending and a stock market crash. Trump's economic advisors have been told that when the US recession comes, it will be much deeper than other countries because of the combined effect of the high deficit and increased interest on the national debt.

Normally in a recession, you cut taxes or increase spending to "prime the pump", or some combination thereof. Because of Trump's tax cuts and huge deficit there is nothing to cut, and the deficit is already dangerously high and can't be increased. So when Trump's recession lands, it's going to be longer and deeper in the US than in other Western democracies. Trump has been told all of this, I'm sure, but he's banking on the worst effects of his policies not landing until after 2020. When he's safely re-elected.

The venal greed and destructiveness of this man is not to be under estimated.

So, if the economy surprises you, and keep growing, you'll be singing Trump's praises for the surprisingly great economic preformance?

Also every Republican tax cut is followed with a huge increase in government spending and a stock market crash. Trump's economic advisors have been told that when the US recession comes, it will be much deeper than other countries because of the combined effect of the high deficit and increased interest on the national debt.

Normally in a recession, you cut taxes or increase spending to "prime the pump", or some combination thereof. Because of Trump's tax cuts and huge deficit there is nothing to cut, and the deficit is already dangerously high and can't be increased. So when Trump's recession lands, it's going to be longer and deeper in the US than in other Western democracies. Trump has been told all of this, I'm sure, but he's banking on the worst effects of his policies not landing until after 2020. When he's safely re-elected.

So, if the economy surprises you, and keep growing, you'll be singing Trump's praises for the surprisingly great economic preformance?

The economy isn't growing. Every local news report coming out of Buffalo says that manufacturing jobs are leaving. Unemployment is higher. Sales of soybeans to China are non-existent and the farmers have lost the market, not just this year but going forward.

Despite the double goosing of both tax cuts and massive deficit spending, job creation and GDP growth is still way lower than it was under President Obama and the stock market is WAY behind it's first 20 month performance by Obama. The bottom dropping out of oil prices today, isn't going to help that situation either. This Christmas retail season is going to be critical for consumer and business confidence going into 2019.

Last year's Christmas season saw the passing of the tax cuts to boost consumer confidence and the hopes of those big raises coming in the new year. Retail spending hit records. Now that the tax cuts are a big yawn for most workers, and those much promises raises haven't materialized, consumer confidence may not be quite so high going into next year.

The economy isn't growing. Every local news report coming out of Buffalo says that manufacturing jobs are leaving. Unemployment is higher. Sales of soybeans to China are non-existent and the farmers have lost the market, not just this year but going forward.

Despite the double goosing of both tax cuts and massive deficit spending, job creation and GDP growth is still way lower than it was under President Obama and the stock market is WAY behind it's first 20 month performance by Obama. The bottom dropping out of oil prices today, isn't going to help that situation either. This Christmas retail season is going to be critical for consumer and business confidence going into 2019.

Last year's Christmas season saw the passing of the tax cuts to boost consumer confidence and the hopes of those big raises coming in the new year. Retail spending hit records. Now that the tax cuts are a big yawn for most workers, and those much promises raises haven't materialized, consumer confidence may not be quite so high going into next year.

Yeah, you already said that.

I challenged you as to what you will do it things go DIFFERENTLY than your world view says it will.

Don't just repeat your position. We all got it.

Answer the question.

I challenged you as to what you will do it things go DIFFERENTLY than your world view says it will.

Answer the question.

No, I will not sing Trump's praises. Because it's not just about the economy.

It's about his treatment of your allies. This whole "NATO is taking advantage of the US" is just total bullshit. These countries didn't beg the USA to locate massive American military bases within their borders, or ask the US to defend them. Conversely, it the USA which wanted bases located in Western Europe to keep the threat of Russia overunning a weakened Europe if they left, not to defend Europe, but to thwart the expansion of the USSR under Joseph Stalin.

The US only got involved in the European wars to keep them away from mainland USA. The US fought wars in the Middle East to ensure the steady flow of oil from OPEC. Now that the US is no longer dependent on Middle Eastern Oil, those troops and meddling, which has been disastrous for US relations there. Now the economies of Germany and Japan near these massive US military bases are dependant on them being there, as well as acting as a deterrent to Russia and China, but NATO countries are doing their share.

The USA has chosen to become this massive military power, outspending the next 10 nations of the world combined, by choice. The rest of us never asked you to do it. President Eisenhauer warned you not to do it, but Republicans love to spend money on the military, and once they have these wonderful new toys, they just have to use them.

Instead of Trump complaining that the rest of the world isn't spending enough, maybe what needs to be done is for the US to STOP spending so much on military and start spending it on your people. Education, infrastructure, and health care. Join the civilized world and start building a great country, instead of a great military.

Answer the question.

If you don't care about the issue, it is dishonest to attack him on this issue, as though you do care.

It's about his treatment of your allies. This whole "NATO is taking advantage of the US" is just total bullshit. These countries didn't beg the USA to locate massive American military bases within their borders, or ask the US to defend them. Conversely, it the USA which wanted bases located in Western Europe to keep the threat of Russia overunning a weakened Europe if they left, not to defend Europe, but to thwart the expansion of the USSR under Joseph Stalin.

I seem to recall plenty of Western Europeans who did not want to be gencided and then oppressed by Soviet Union.

And the Soviet Union is now gone.

The US only got involved in the European wars to keep them away from mainland USA.

Don't dismiss the moral angle. The US does not operate from purely selfish interests. The Kaiser, later HItler, and certainly Stalin, were seen as Evil Monsters that needed to be stopped from inflicting terrible Evil on the innocent and good people of Western Europe.

The US fought wars in the Middle East to ensure the steady flow of oil from OPEC.

No, we didn't.

Now that the US is no longer dependent on Middle Eastern Oil, those troops and meddling, which has been disastrous for US relations there. Now the economies of Germany and Japan near these massive US military bases are dependant on them being there, as well as acting as a deterrent to Russia and China, but NATO countries are doing their share.

Neither Russia nor China are a threat to Europe. The Economies of Germany and Japan are not dependent on US bases.

And NATO is NOT doing their share. Other than Britain and Poland, I don't think any other NATO member is meeting the two per cent goal. Which is a really low goal anyways.

The USA has chosen to become this massive military power, outspending the next 10 nations of the world combined, by choice.

We ensure the safety of other rich nations, thus depressing their military spending. That number is very misleading.

The rest of us never asked you to do it. President Eisenhauer warned you not to do it, but Republicans love to spend money on the military, and once they have these wonderful new toys, they just have to use them.

The Soviet Union was a real threat during the Cold War. ANd that spending and military bases were needed to oppose them.

NOw, yes, we have this military and are in the habit of using it, too much. We need to disentangle ourselves from this shit.

Trump TALKED a little about doing that, and you libs were on him like white on rice.

Instead of Trump complaining that the rest of the world isn't spending enough, maybe what needs to be done is for the US to STOP spending so much on military and start spending it on your people. Education, infrastructure, and health care. Join the civilized world and start building a great country, instead of a great military.

Sure. If we can reduce our commitments to reflect our reduced capabilities.

BUT, you libs won't allow that. To be fair, the Establishment republicans will fight it too.

Answer the question.

If you don't care about the issue, it is dishonest to attack him on this issue, as though you do care.

I seem to recall plenty of Western Europeans who did not want to be gencided and then oppressed by Soviet Union.

The US only got involved in the European wars to keep them away from mainland USA.

Don't dismiss the moral angle. The US does not operate from purely selfish interests. The Kaiser, later HItler, and certainly Stalin, were seen as Evil Monsters that needed to be stopped from inflicting terrible Evil on the innocent and good people of Western Europe.

The US fought wars in the Middle East to ensure the steady flow of oil from OPEC.

No, we didn't.

Now that the US is no longer dependent on Middle Eastern Oil, those troops and meddling, which has been disastrous for US relations there. Now the economies of Germany and Japan near these massive US military bases are dependant on them being there, as well as acting as a deterrent to Russia and China, but NATO countries are doing their share.

Neither Russia nor China are a threat to Europe. The Economies of Germany and Japan are not dependent on US bases.

And NATO is NOT doing their share. Other than Britain and Poland, I don't think any other NATO member is meeting the two per cent goal. Which is a really low goal anyways.

The USA has chosen to become this massive military power, outspending the next 10 nations of the world combined, by choice.

We ensure the safety of other rich nations, thus depressing their military spending. That number is very misleading.

The rest of us never asked you to do it. President Eisenhauer warned you not to do it, but Republicans love to spend money on the military, and once they have these wonderful new toys, they just have to use them.

The Soviet Union was a real threat during the Cold War. ANd that spending and military bases were needed to oppose them.

NOw, yes, we have this military and are in the habit of using it, too much. We need to disentangle ourselves from this shit.

Trump TALKED a little about doing that, and you libs were on him like white on rice.

BUT, you libs won't allow that. To be fair, the Establishment republicans will fight it too.

I did not say that the economies of Germany and Japan are dependant on the bases, I said that the economies of the areas where the bases are located are built around supplying goods and services to the bases and their inhabitants. Just like communities in the US have fought the closing on bases in their areas, and for the same reasons: Jobs, jobs and more jobs. Supplying food and supplies to these bases is big, big business. Selling goods and services to the service men and women stationed there is also big, big business.

I'm well aware of history, and I'm also aware that there was no reason to leave these troops in Germany after the fall of the Berlin Wall. Russia can't even subdue the Ukraine and offers no danger to Western Europe. There is good reason to think that the Chinese would be expanding their influence in the South China Sea without the US presence in Japan and Korea, but it's also in the best interests of Americans to protect Japan and South Korea. Both economies are tightly connected to US supply lines.

Then there's Trump's treatment of minorities, both religious minorities, and racial minorities, and the increase in unchecked right wing hate crimes and violence since his election. The rise of Nazis and white supremacists remains unchecked by this Administration. Trump even promotes their most odious notions.

So no. There is a lot more to good leadership than a strong economy. Hilter made the German economy strong and stable. Funny how nobody ever mentions that. It's why he was popular in Germany. He made Germany Great Again.

Trump must have failed economics in whichever institutions of learning that he attended.

Trade balance deficit is up 10% year on year despite the efforts of Trump's "best people in the USA".

Trump is clueless as the recent hurricanes, floods and fires will suck in more imports for rebuilding and the trade balance will continue to worsen for the rest of Trump's tenure and beyond.

Trump is trashing brand USA which will suffer worldwide negative consumer sentiment from Trump's rants.

US trade deficit rises more than expected in October and is now up 10% for 2018

US trade deficit increases more than expected in October and is now up 10% for 2018
PUBLISHED FRI, NOV 2 2018 • 8:32 AM EDT | UPDATED FRI, NOV 2 2018 • 10:49 AM EDT
Jeff Cox

KEY POINTS
The U.S. goods and services deficit increased more than expected in September amid escalating tensions with its global trading partners.
The shortfall rose to $54 billion for the month, a 1.3 percent increase, or $700 million, from August and reflective of a 10.1 percent increase year to date, according to government numbers released Friday.
Those numbers come as the Trump administration moved forward with a plan to tax $200 billion worth of Chinese imports and as China countered.

The U.S. goods and services deficit increased more than expected in September amid escalating tensions with its global trading partners.
The shortfall rose to $54 billion for the month, a 1.3 percent increase, or $700 million, from August and reflective of a 10.1 percent increase year to date, according to government numbers released Friday. Economists surveyed by Refinitiv had been looking for a gain of $53.6 billion.
The goods deficit stood at $76.3 billion, the highest on record on a seasonally adjusted basis.
Exports increased to $212.6 billion, a $3.1 billion gain from August, while imports rose $3.8 billion to $266.6 billion.

Err, so now you libs believe that trade deficits ARE bad, so that you can attack Trump for failing to lower them, even though you are also attacking him for even TRYING to lower them, because trade deficits don't matter?

Wow. I was able to follow your lib logic there, for a second. Man that was weird.

My brain felt like it was twisted into a pretzel shape.

Wouldn't it be easier for you to just type "HATEYOU" over and over again, cause really, that is all you've got?

Trump claimed he would reduce the trade deficit. After nearly two years of Trump 'reductions' the trade deficit is higher.

Yes, you made that point. I responded.

Repeating your original point while ignoring that I have already responded is kind of a dick move.

A "dick move" is your fantasizing with your "twisted" "pretzel shape" brain.

Answer the question.

No, we didn't.

I did not say that the economies of Germany and Japan are dependant on the bases, I said that the economies of the areas where the bases are located are built around supplying goods and services to the bases and their inhabitants. Just like communities in the US have fought the closing on bases in their areas, and for the same reasons: Jobs, jobs and more jobs. Supplying food and supplies to these bases is big, big business. Selling goods and services to the service men and women stationed there is also big, big business.

FIne. But NATO nations are not paying a fair share.

I'm well aware of history, and I'm also aware that there was no reason to leave these troops in Germany after the fall of the Berlin Wall. Russia can't even subdue the Ukraine and offers no danger to Western Europe. There is good reason to think that the Chinese would be expanding their influence in the South China Sea without the US presence in Japan and Korea, but it's also in the best interests of Americans to protect Japan and South Korea. Both economies are tightly connected to US supply lines.

No,they are not. THey are tightly connected though TRADE which benefits them far more than US.

Then there's Trump's treatment of minorities, both religious minorities, and racial minorities, and the increase in unchecked right wing hate crimes and violence since his election. The rise of Nazis and white supremacists remains unchecked by this Administration. Trump even promotes their most odious notions.

Trump has done nothing to minorities in this county, other than give them more jobs than anyone else.

Right wing hate crimes are as targeted as ever, watched like hawks, and prosecuted when caught. YOu are living in a fantasy world.

Nazis are not rising. They are an insignificant fringe.

Trump is not promoting any of their notions. That is a vile lie. You should be ashamed of saying that of your fellow Americans.

So no. There is a lot more to good leadership than a strong economy. Hilter made the German economy strong and stable. Funny how nobody ever mentions that. It's why he was popular in Germany. He made Germany Great Again.

Because no one faults him for that. It is not really controversial to pursue policies to the benefit of your citizens.

It is the war and genocide that people think of when they think of him, and it is absurd to compare ANYTHING, that Trmp has done or said, even the delusions you cited earlier as being anyway related to that.

Trump must have failed economics in whichever institutions of learning that he attended.

Trade balance deficit is up 10% year on year despite the efforts of Trump's "best people in the USA".

Trump is clueless as the recent hurricanes, floods and fires will suck in more imports for rebuilding and the trade balance will continue to worsen for the rest of Trump's tenure and beyond.

Trump is trashing brand USA which will suffer worldwide negative consumer sentiment from Trump's rants.

US trade deficit increases more than expected in October and is now up 10% for 2018
PUBLISHED FRI, NOV 2 2018 • 8:32 AM EDT | UPDATED FRI, NOV 2 2018 • 10:49 AM EDT
Jeff Cox

KEY POINTS
The shortfall rose to $54 billion for the month, a 1.3 percent increase, or $700 million, from August and reflective of a 10.1 percent increase year to date, according to government numbers released Friday.
Those numbers come as the Trump administration moved forward with a plan to tax $200 billion worth of Chinese imports and as China countered.

The shortfall rose to $54 billion for the month, a 1.3 percent increase, or $700 million, from August and reflective of a 10.1 percent increase year to date, according to government numbers released Friday. Economists surveyed by Refinitiv had been looking for a gain of $53.6 billion.
The goods deficit stood at $76.3 billion, the highest on record on a seasonally adjusted basis.
Exports increased to $212.6 billion, a $3.1 billion gain from August, while imports rose $3.8 billion to $266.6 billion.

Err, so now you libs believe that trade deficits ARE bad, so that you can attack Trump for failing to lower them, even though you are also attacking him for even TRYING to lower them, because trade deficits don't matter?

Wow. I was able to follow your lib logic there, for a second. Man that was weird.

Wouldn't it be easier for you to just type "HATEYOU" over and over again, cause really, that is all you've got?

Trump claimed he would reduce the trade deficit. After nearly two years of Trump 'reductions' the trade deficit is higher.

Repeating your original point while ignoring that I have already responded is kind of a dick move.

NOpe, that would be you insulting me instead of addressing the point.

That was you admitting that you cannot defend your attack on Trump.

So, you lose.

FIne. But NATO nations are not paying a fair share.

What is a "fair share" and which nations are not being fair?

That's a good question, one I would have to research for quite a while to come up with a good number.

IN the past, they agreed to spend a tiny TWO PERCENT, of gnp on defense and most are failing to do even that tiny amount.

I'm not sure what would be fair. I can tell that less than two percent is not.

Jeff Cox

KEY POINTS

tdxg729tsit11.jpg

Actually, dumbasss, he was talking how Trump took measures to lessen the trade deficits & the stupid fuck made them worse.

Jeff Cox

KEY POINTS

tdxg729tsit11.jpg

Actually, dumbasss, he was talking how Trump took measures to lessen the trade deficits & the stupid fuck made them worse.

That spin of events, was included in my description of his behavior.

So, you lose.

You insult yourself by publishing crap and then having to eat your own words.

So, you lose.

You insult yourself by publishing crap and then having to eat your own words.

Says the lib still not even TRYING to defend his attack on Trump.

You lose again.

Forum List

Back