Tired of winning?: US trade deficit more than expected in October and is now up 10% for 2018

A recession is coming and just in time to blame the new Democratic House.

The GOP always offers the Dems a house full of fresh shit

Then complain when the dems don't "fix it fast enough".

There is not a recession right around the corner.

Your are building a house of lies on top of a pile of bullshit.

Of course there is. Republicans cut taxes and went on a spending spree. Such actions always end in a recession. Look at history.

Trump must have failed economics in whichever institutions of learning that he attended.

Trade balance deficit is up 10% year on year despite the efforts of Trump's "best people in the USA".

Trump is clueless as the recent hurricanes, floods and fires will suck in more imports for rebuilding and the trade balance will continue to worsen for the rest of Trump's tenure and beyond.

Trump is trashing brand USA which will suffer worldwide negative consumer sentiment from Trump's rants.

US trade deficit rises more than expected in October and is now up 10% for 2018

US trade deficit increases more than expected in October and is now up 10% for 2018
PUBLISHED FRI, NOV 2 2018 • 8:32 AM EDT | UPDATED FRI, NOV 2 2018 • 10:49 AM EDT
Jeff Cox

KEY POINTS
The U.S. goods and services deficit increased more than expected in September amid escalating tensions with its global trading partners.
The shortfall rose to $54 billion for the month, a 1.3 percent increase, or $700 million, from August and reflective of a 10.1 percent increase year to date, according to government numbers released Friday.
Those numbers come as the Trump administration moved forward with a plan to tax $200 billion worth of Chinese imports and as China countered.

The U.S. goods and services deficit increased more than expected in September amid escalating tensions with its global trading partners.
The shortfall rose to $54 billion for the month, a 1.3 percent increase, or $700 million, from August and reflective of a 10.1 percent increase year to date, according to government numbers released Friday. Economists surveyed by Refinitiv had been looking for a gain of $53.6 billion.
The goods deficit stood at $76.3 billion, the highest on record on a seasonally adjusted basis.
Exports increased to $212.6 billion, a $3.1 billion gain from August, while imports rose $3.8 billion to $266.6 billion.

Err, so now you libs believe that trade deficits ARE bad, so that you can attack Trump for failing to lower them, even though you are also attacking him for even TRYING to lower them, because trade deficits don't matter?

Wow. I was able to follow your lib logic there, for a second. Man that was weird.

My brain felt like it was twisted into a pretzel shape.

Wouldn't it be easier for you to just type "HATEYOU" over and over again, cause really, that is all you've got?

Trump claimed he would reduce the trade deficit. After nearly two years of Trump 'reductions' the trade deficit is higher.

The trade deficit ain't shit....We all have the same "trade deficit" with the electric company and the grocery store, but nobody is going broke from it.

Your life on welfare is like that.

Trump must have failed economics in whichever institutions of learning that he attended.

Trade balance deficit is up 10% year on year despite the efforts of Trump's "best people in the USA".

Trump is clueless as the recent hurricanes, floods and fires will suck in more imports for rebuilding and the trade balance will continue to worsen for the rest of Trump's tenure and beyond.

Trump is trashing brand USA which will suffer worldwide negative consumer sentiment from Trump's rants.

US trade deficit increases more than expected in October and is now up 10% for 2018
PUBLISHED FRI, NOV 2 2018 • 8:32 AM EDT | UPDATED FRI, NOV 2 2018 • 10:49 AM EDT
Jeff Cox

KEY POINTS
The shortfall rose to $54 billion for the month, a 1.3 percent increase, or $700 million, from August and reflective of a 10.1 percent increase year to date, according to government numbers released Friday.
Those numbers come as the Trump administration moved forward with a plan to tax $200 billion worth of Chinese imports and as China countered.

The shortfall rose to $54 billion for the month, a 1.3 percent increase, or $700 million, from August and reflective of a 10.1 percent increase year to date, according to government numbers released Friday. Economists surveyed by Refinitiv had been looking for a gain of $53.6 billion.
The goods deficit stood at $76.3 billion, the highest on record on a seasonally adjusted basis.
Exports increased to $212.6 billion, a $3.1 billion gain from August, while imports rose $3.8 billion to $266.6 billion.

Here's the thing: As a Canadian who used to buy a LOT of goods and services from the USA, I am actively boycotting American made goods because of the actions of your President in trade, because of the tariff's imposed on Canadian steel, and because of his treatment of refugees. Every day my FaceBook feed is full of posts from my family and friends reminding us to buy Canadian Dairy products, and not to buy American milk at Walmart.

I used to buy a lot of fruits and vegetables from the US in winter. Now I look for produce from South America, Mexico or Africa. Anywhere but the USA. Europeans are similarly boycotting products that are sold by American companies.

I choose not to send money to a country which insults my Prime Minister, calls my country a "security threat" despite generations of friendship and respect between our countries, about which your President lies daily.

That's a coming global trend. Trump is trashing brand USA and causing consumers to avoid American goods.

Jeff Cox

KEY POINTS

So the trade deficit with China continues to grow even as Trump tries to achieve the same thing with THEM that he did with Mexico? Hmmmm...so how have things changed with Mexico since Trump played hard ball with them? Oh wait...the trade deficit with Mexico plunged dramatically!

There was no dramatic plunge in the trade deficit with Mexico because US exports to Mexico also decreased as Trump trashes brand USA.

US exports to a number of countries declined with the negative effects on brand USA caused by Trumpery.

I am not so sure. We are due one soon, it has been almost a decade since the last, and we tend to have one every decade or so.

Also, we are now 114 (at the end of Nov) of straight economic expansion, the 2nd longest period in the history of our country and just a tad than a half a year from setting the record.

Our system was built to fail on a regular basis, so we will have another period of such sooner rather than later.

If you have some spare time I suggest your read this book on the subject...https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GMSUUVS/?tag=ff0d01-20

The trade deficit ain't shit....We all have the same "trade deficit" with the electric company and the grocery store, but nobody is going broke from it.
Trump told us it’s a yuge problem.
Would that be the first time he was mistaken about something?

No One better tell the Great Leader he made a mistake. He is flawless. When asked if he prayed for forgiveness, he said he really doesn't need to. He is placing himself as a perfect human being. He really hasn't made any mistake.....He doesn't need forgiveness. he just drinks a little wine and eats that cracker and he is "good to go!"

I am not so sure. We are due one soon, it has been almost a decade since the last, and we tend to have one every decade or so.

Also, we are now 114 (at the end of Nov) of straight economic expansion, the 2nd longest period in the history of our country and just a tad than a half a year from setting the record.

Our system was built to fail on a regular basis, so we will have another period of such sooner rather than later.

If you have some spare time I suggest your read this book on the subject...https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GMSUUVS/?tag=ff0d01-20

All of the indicators are the bull market is ending.

Also every Republican tax cut is followed with a huge increase in government spending and a stock market crash. Trump's economic advisors have been told that when the US recession comes, it will be much deeper than other countries because of the combined effect of the high deficit and increased interest on the national debt.

Normally in a recession, you cut taxes or increase spending to "prime the pump", or some combination thereof. Because of Trump's tax cuts and huge deficit there is nothing to cut, and the deficit is already dangerously high and can't be increased. So when Trump's recession lands, it's going to be longer and deeper in the US than in other Western democracies. Trump has been told all of this, I'm sure, but he's banking on the worst effects of his policies not landing until after 2020. When he's safely re-elected.

The venal greed and destructiveness of this man is not to be under estimated.

Also every Republican tax cut is followed with a huge increase in government spending and a stock market crash. Trump's economic advisors have been told that when the US recession comes, it will be much deeper than other countries because of the combined effect of the high deficit and increased interest on the national debt.

Normally in a recession, you cut taxes or increase spending to "prime the pump", or some combination thereof. Because of Trump's tax cuts and huge deficit there is nothing to cut, and the deficit is already dangerously high and can't be increased. So when Trump's recession lands, it's going to be longer and deeper in the US than in other Western democracies. Trump has been told all of this, I'm sure, but he's banking on the worst effects of his policies not landing until after 2020. When he's safely re-elected.

Two things that are wrong about what you just posted, Dragon Lady! First of all, one of the things that can be cut to reduce a deficit is spending. I know that you on the left are fixated on raising taxes as the be all and end all solution to solve issues with the economy but there IS another side to deficits OTHER than tax levels! The second thing you've overlooked is that the Fed has raised interest rates five times since Trump was elected because the economy was doing so well. For the first time in a long time...the Fed has the ability to lower interest rates if the economy needs a boost! It couldn't do that when Barry was in office because the economy was growing at such an anemic rate that even discussing a Fed rate increase sent the stock market into a tail spin! We were stuck on near zero rates for much of Barry's time in office which meant that if another economic crisis had occurred back then...there would have been little that the Fed could have done to fight back!

Two things that are wrong about what you just posted, Dragon Lady! First of all, one of the things that can be cut to reduce a deficit is spending. I know that you on the left are fixated on raising taxes as the be all and end all solution to solve issues with the economy but there IS another side to deficits OTHER than tax levels! The second thing you've overlooked is that the Fed has raised interest rates five times since Trump was elected because the economy was doing so well. For the first time in a long time...the Fed has the ability to lower interest rates if the economy needs a boost! It couldn't do that when Barry was in office because the economy was growing at such an anemic rate that even discussing a Fed rate increase sent the stock market into a tail spin! We were stuck on near zero rates for much of Barry's time in office which meant that if another economic crisis had occurred back then...there would have been little that the Fed could have done to fight back!

People like to talk about cutting spending, but it never happens. We added 1.27 trillion to the national debt in the last FY and it is projected we will add close to 1.4 trillion for the CY. This while we have a "booming" economy. What happens to the deficit if there is a recession, keeping in mind that the last recession almost tripled the deficit in a single year.

People like to talk about cutting spending, but it never happens. We added 1.27 trillion to the national debt in the last FY and it is projected we will add close to 1.4 trillion for the CY. This while we have a "booming" economy. What happens to the deficit if there is a recession, keeping in mind that the last recession almost tripled the deficit in a single year.
Buying prosperity on the next generation's dime is exactly what Reagan did 30 yrs ago

didn't work then, won't now

~S~

Buying prosperity on the next generation's dime is exactly what Reagan did 30 yrs ago

~S~

Simple question for you, Sparky...

Do you think we have rampant waste in government? If the answer to that is yes (which I think everyone knows is true?) then why can't we cut spending? Because those in government resist cuts? That's the tail wagging the dog! Don't get me wrong...I understand completely that it will be hard to change the culture in government and that some will do what they always have done before when threatened with cuts...namely "punish" every day Americans by withholding services we like or making us wait on line for hours to show how "understaffed" they are...but if their feet are held to the fire and they are forced to tighten up their operations...then it CAN be done! What it will take however is someone who has the backbone to stand up to the status quo.

~S~

Simple question for you, Sparky...

Do you think we have rampant waste in government? If the answer to that is yes (which I think everyone knows is true?) then why can't we cut spending? Because those in government resist cuts? That's the tail wagging the dog! Don't get me wrong...I understand completely that it will be hard to change the culture in government and that some will do what they always have done before when threatened with cuts...namely "punish" every day Americans by withholding services we like or making us wait on line for hours to show how "understaffed" they are...but if their feet are held to the fire and they are forced to tighten up their operations...then it CAN be done! What it will take however is someone who has the backbone to stand up to the status quo.

It can be done, without a doubt. But will it be done without the American people demanding it via the voting booth?

And that has not happened yet.

If the US economic system "was built to fail on a regular basis" the right man, Donald Trump is in charge.

Donald crashed casinos in Atlantic City and escaped responsibility by declaring bankruptcy.

Three time loser coming up?

Rising interest rates may make the debt uncontrollable as debt interest rises faster than revenue.

Be very afraid.

Reading the responses to the idea that Trump has any tools left in the toolbox to deal with a recession is laughable.

In a recession, we boost government spending to increase employment and we cut taxes to encourage private sector spending.

Reducing interest rates is next to useless because all that does is encourage investment in the stock market which takes a long time to translate into economic growth.

As for reducing government spending, this assumes that the government has a great deal of discretion on spending. It doesn’t. Most of the budget goes to fixed costs like salaries for government workers, and facilities expenses. The actual amount the government can cut is minimal.

The only area where there is any real discretion is the military, and we all know that no Republican will ever cut military spending.

If the US isn’t going to be the sending troops here there and everywhere, why do you need this massive military? The bald truth is you don’t.

Americans keep complaining that the rest of the free world needs to spend more money one defence. No, we don’t. The US needs to spend LESS. A lot less.

Other countries invest in infrastructure, education and health care for our people. Americans spend on the military. And you whine like little bitches when anyone suggests cutting military spending.

You have the largest, baddest army the world has ever seen. And it has cost your nations its wealth and its well being. A nation’s greatest asset is its people, not its corporations and not its GDP.

Norway has the greatest nation on earth, the most productive society and the highest standard of living in the world precisely because virtually all of their tax dollars are returned to the taxpayers in infrastructure, education, health care and income supports for taxpayers.

No one is attacking the USA. You’re spending all your treasure on weapons that you then turn on other nations and start wars to blow up even more of your treasure.

Your nation’s priorities are guns for everyone. Americans are bristling with weapons both at home and abroad. Are you safer? Are you more or less secure than you were in the 70’s before Reagan started this massive military build up that has never ended?

The safest nations on earth are the ones with the fewest weapons and the smallest armies.

Last edited:

Jeff Cox

KEY POINTS

Err, so now you libs believe that trade deficits ARE bad, so that you can attack Trump for failing to lower them, even though you are also attacking him for even TRYING to lower them, because trade deficits don't matter?

Wow. I was able to follow your lib logic there, for a second. Man that was weird.

My brain felt like it was twisted into a pretzel shape.

Wouldn't it be easier for you to just type "HATEYOU" over and over again, cause really, that is all you've got?

Trump claimed he would reduce the trade deficit. After nearly two years of Trump 'reductions' the trade deficit is higher.

Yes, you made that point. I responded.

Repeating your original point while ignoring that I have already responded is kind of a dick move.

Forum List

Back