Tick-Tock...the Default Clock is ticking down to zero. So what actually happens next? (Poll)

Which option will the House and Senate and the WH agree on, or will the US default?

• 1. Republican senate blinks and allows a vote w/o filibuster (50 votes not 60)

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • 2. Democrat senate blinks and uses budget process, a vote-a-rama and then raises Debt Limit

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • 3. Democrats use "nuclear option" to need 50 votes instead of 60 votes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. Use the 14th Amendment or $1T coin to circumvent Debt Limit

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • 5. Debt Limit Breach, the government cannot borrow and must cut spending

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • 6. Joe Biden caves and signs the House Bill to avoid a catastrophic default

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters
Gator there are posters who voted Biden over Trump and even after this disastrous 2.5 yrs would still vote Biden over Trump, so there’s plenty of those party over country types around here.

Yes there are, from both sides. It is why our country is going down the shitter.

1. McCarthy is one House vote. If he folds he is done as Speaker. He knows that.
2. We agree that the markets will crash. If that's what Biden wants to happen, don't sign the House Bill.
3. You are referring to "Supplemental Appropriations Bills". Money off-budget that gets approved separately. They can't happen when we're in default and can't issue debt.
4. I thought Bill Clinton signed a law that limited Welfare to TWO YEARS. Now I'm surprised to see that Welfare spending is the biggest part of the Budget, WTF???
I don't care if we have dead people in the streets. Cut Welfare, cut Medicaid, cut Foreign Aid.

1. He chooses what comes up for a vote and what does not. He can let it come up for a vote and still remain speaker as only like 4 or 5 GOPers are like you and want the default.

2. It is good to see your hyper-partisan side peak out every now and then no matter how hard you try to hide it.

3. I am not talking about it happening when we are in default, I am pointing out that we spend far more on projecting our military force around the world than the little bit in the DOD budget.

4. You may not care about dead people in the streets, but our politicians do. Which is why they will do the right thing and extend the ceiling and then tackle the budget.

1. If the senate votes on something, say a "clean raise" of the Debt Limit, that Bill would be DOA in the House. If the senate votes on the House Bill, would democrat senators vote for it?
2. The 14th Amendment is not the answer, neither is the gimmick coin. The USSC would never allow it.
3. Assuming a default, what all could be cut?
SS would pay about 70% of promised benefits (actual money paid in gets paid out) ($300b/yr)
Welfare payments would stop ($1.6T/yr) ( this is the biggest leak in the ship that needs to be PLUGGED, see below)
Medicaid would stop (~$200b/yr)
Foreign aid would stop ($55b/yr)

Those cuts should cover the $700b a year interest on the Debt

1. In 2022, the federal government spent over $1.6 trillion on welfare programs in the United States. (Source: U.S. Government Spending)
  2. In 2023, the United States is projected to spend $1.3 trillion on welfare programs. (Source: U.S. Government Spending)

1. No. Democrats should accept nothing less than a clean bill, just like the ones they provided to Donald Trump when he was president and the debt ceiling was reached.

The House bill is an absolutely nonstarter, because it doesn’t specify exactly what cuts Republicans would require. Republicans have to first come up with dollars and cents numbers on every single program they want to defund.

All of the funding they’re proposing cutting has been previously approved and signed into law. If they want to repeal that law, then let them go through the proper process to do so. The effects of the cuts on the economy need to be costed out and a proper budgeting process undertaking.

2. The 14th amendment is very clear and unambiguous. It states that spending previously signed into law is sacrosanct and shall be funded.

3. If there is a default, it will be the final nail in the coffin for the House Republicans.

1. He chooses what comes up for a vote and what does not. He can let it come up for a vote and still remain speaker as only like 4 or 5 GOPers are like you and want the default.

2. It is good to see your hyper-partisan side peak out every now and then no matter how hard you try to hide it.

3. I am not talking about it happening when we are in default, I am pointing out that we spend far more on projecting our military force around the world than the little bit in the DOD budget.

4. You may not care about dead people in the streets, but our politicians do. Which is why they will do the right thing and extend the ceiling and then tackle the budget.
Gator is wrong as usual

There will be no dead people in the streets dying of starvation

The democrats do not control the House, and Manchin and Sinema won't give them 50 votes in the Senate. So if the commies in the WH are planning a major "crisis" to take advantage of (i.e. never waste a crisis) it won't happen.

The grip (check/balance) Republicans and moderates have in DC is tenuous, but even the MSM can't spin a default as anything but a failure by Biden and the democrats to sign the House Bill.

That's why they need a crsis. A crisis will allow them to pull some backdoor shit, what that will be I don't know. But when you have an economy collapsing, America in debt past it's eyeballs, banks going under, stock market failing, and everything else you better believe they will pull out every stop to assume some kind of political command.

And if they can't, then they have another course to take. Blame republicans, conservatives for the whole thing. It will be their excuse. They will go on national tv and blame republicans and trump and the news will do very little to disprove them. They will use it as ammunition to declare war on republicans to get them voted out or to force them to vote in their favor for fear of not getting re elected.

1. Any GOP House member can call a no-confidence vote on McCarthy. He will NOT put up a clean Bill.
2. I'm not hyper-partisan, just truthful. If Biden wants to avoid a default all he has to do is sign the Bill. I hear that the negotiations are making progress.
3. Very true.
4. I hope it doesn't come to that, so lets hope that the negotiations work. My hope is that they cut spending and raise taxes to cut the deficit and help reduce inflation.

That's why they need a crisis. A crisis will allow them to pull some backdoor shit, what that will be I don't know. But when you have an economy collapsing, America in debt past it's eyeballs, banks going under, stock market failing, and everything else you better believe they will pull out every stop to assume some kind of political command.

And if they can't, then they have another course to take. Blame republicans, conservatives for the whole thing. It will be their excuse. They will go on national tv and blame republicans and trump and the news will do very little to disprove them. They will use it as ammunition to declare war on republicans to get them voted out or to force them to vote in their favor for fear of not getting re elected.
Very true. I can't say that what you say is wrong, its how the democrat's "govern" in DC. In the dark, in secret. Voters aren't as stupid as democrats are playing them for.

1. Any GOP House member can call a no-confidence vote on McCarthy. He will NOT put up a clean Bill.
2. I'm not hyper-partisan, just truthful. If Biden wants to avoid a default all he has to do is sign the Bill. I hear that the negotiations are making progress.
3. Very true.
4. I hope it doesn't come to that, so lets hope that the negotiations work. My hope is that they cut spending and raise taxes to cut the deficit and help reduce inflation.

1. We shall see

2. And all the GOP has to do is pass a clean bill like they did 3 times for Trump.

4. That is a good hope, but I do not have any faith in them doing so

1. We shall see

2. And all the GOP has to do is pass a clean bill like they did 3 times for Trump.

4. That is a good hope, but I do not have any faith in them doing so
And all biden has to do is agree to spending cuts

what dr fauci and his liberal lovers did to this fucking world and you talk bout suffering...lolol....good god

More unfounded, allegations, accusations, and vague innuendo, and absolutely nothing to back it up with. Not one shred of evidence.

Meanwhile, in every other, first world country in the world which followed the advice of Dr. Fauci and the other scientists, we had a fraction of the death, disease and economic collapse that Trump’s failure to contain the virus caused in the USA.

Both Texas and Florida had higher rate of Covid infection and deaths from Covid then New York or Washington state. That’s despite having six months to prepare for their first wave, and all of the things that were learned in California, Washington state in New York, to help guide them in their response

And all biden has to do is agree to spending cuts

What spending cuts?? Please tell us precisely what programs the Republicans are proposing to cut. None of these vague demands to reduce spending.

Biden told McCarthy to bring him some numbers and McCarthy hasn’t done that yet

Democrats went through this whole, cutting spending thing with the sequestration when Obama was in the White House, and that was a complete and utter failure in terms of reducing the deficit or the debt.

All it did was slow the recovery, which of course was the goal from the beginning. Then the Republicans blame me Obama for the “slowest recovery in history”.

Forum List

Back