Three years of autism/schizophrenia research destroyed by

No. But I have seen pics of them. Beagles are their fav critter to experiment on. Also, as a kid, before restrictions were in place of what could be shown on tv and what couldn't, I saw a program where a newborn kitten was....well. Never mind. It horrifies me to dredge up that memory.

I am against animal testing. For any reason. Some are just going to have to agree to disagree with my mindset on this subject. If people here are for it..fine. Who am I to judge your beliefs? I expect the same courtesty.

If your against animal testing then you shouldn't use any cosmetics or anything found in the pharmacy/bath section of your grocery store. The FDA requires every one of these products to be tested on animals before they can be sold to humans.

See, this is where so much angst happens on message boards. We only know what we read about each individual. So, with that in mind and before I leave this sad thread for good (it upsets me), I will inform you that I don't wear cosmetics, nor use soaps. I use apple cider vinegar. I do use lotions. And no, the FDA does NOT require products to be tested on animals. Where did you come up with that idea??? Everything I use on my body says Not Animal Tested.

Ok and alrighty then!! Y'all continue to discuss. I'd rather concentrate on other subjects other than this one. So....see y'all in the hallways passing from forum to forum. This one...I ain't coming back.

You could make your own soap, it isn't that difficult. I use Crisco and olive oil as the major basis for my soaps.

animal rights activists.

And no news about it. Amazing. The true anti-science bloc: progressive nutbags:

"
Activists occupied an animal facility at the University of Milan, Italy, at the weekend, releasing mice and rabbits and mixing up cage labels to confuse experimental protocols. Researchers at the university say that it will take years to recover their work.
Many of the animals at the facility are genetic models for psychiatric disorders such as autism and schizophrenia."

"
Michela Matteoli, a neurobiologist who works on autism and other disorders and lost most of her own research in the attack, says that she found some research students crying in the disrupted facility on Monday morning.
“It will take three people at least a year to build up the colonies we had of mouse models of different psychiatric diseases,” she says."

"...animal-rights and environmental extremists have proven to be be capable of lots of damage and widespread, documented criminal activity. Yet they rarely get the press, say, a picture of a rude sign at a Tea Party rally might get. Maybe our more mainstream animal-rights friends could muster some loud denunciations of such tactics to prevent further losses of valuable research. "

Animal-rights activists wreak havoc in Milan laboratory : Nature News & Comment
Animal-rights activists trash years of autism research in Milan lab raid « Hot Air

Good. I'm glad they did it. And I hope they keep doing it. They are heroes. Some day in the future, Mankind will look back with horror to know that we attempted to gain knowledge in such crude, horrific, barbaric ways. People 200 years from now will be saying...can you believe they did THAT?

I still maintain that it is a poor idea to release experimental animals into the environment. Perhaps killing them humanely might be a viable alternative. The animal "liberators" most likely have no clue what they are allowing to escape from the lab besides the cute, furry creatures.

These people torture the crap out of animals, infecting them with diseases, crippling them, keeping them in cages and then killing them when they have served a purpose.

I don't condone what the animal rights freaks did, but I am happy those animals were released from the confines of some lab.

Perhaps Miss Matteoli can infect herself with a deadly disease, or give herself autism or something else?

Do you realize that she is trying to help PEOPLE? Do you realize that if she infected herself, she couldn't continue to research for a cure?

Put yourself in the position of a member here with 2 autistic children. Would you rather sacrifice a rat or your child?
It's fine to be an idealist, but Geez! Consider costs vs benefits here.
This was a research project that had been going on for 3 years. This means some of the students had worked on this their whole college career and now, thanks to some assholes that thinks rats have rights, they will be long gone from school when the research finally yields results.
Imagine if you would, spending 6 minutes cooking up a bunch of french fries, only to have your supervisor walk past and dump them all on the floor 2 minutes before they were ready to serve. Now imagine how you would feel if those french fries represented 3 years, instead of 6 minutes and actually meant possibly saving a few million kids from a very difficult life.
Get REAL!

I respectfully disagree. Yes, those animals ARE tortured. Daily. Just to "see what happens". Does it save human lives? Sometimes. But how many animals have to die to find a cure? They want to experiment..I'm with Noomi. Let them use their own bodies.

As many as it takes. We are the top of the food chain. We use animals. It is out nature, our destiny and our evolutionary purpose.

I can assure you I am not experiencing some kind of placebo effect from taking abilify. It really works and I am stable on it. I have been on it for five years and I stopped taking it twice, only to discover I suffered a lot of stress a few weeks after stopping it. I now recommed abilify to anyone with schizophrenia. What is more I have been able to give up alcohol for the last 7 months.

I am glad its working for you ..however that is not evidence that the cause is chemical imbalance in the brain or the effect is not placebo...once on these drugs like any drug they are withdraw effects so it would be expected off the drugs you would feel stress..I have no problem with someone informed doing any drug especially if they feel a benifit ..I just have an issue with the deceptive language used by psychiatrist that there is any diagnostic evidence mental illness is genetic or caused by chemical imbalance

I respectfully disagree. Yes, those animals ARE tortured. Daily. Just to "see what happens". Does it save human lives? Sometimes. But how many animals have to die to find a cure? They want to experiment..I'm with Noomi. Let them use their own bodies.

Have you ever been in a scientific lab?

No. But I have seen pics of them. Beagles are their fav critter to experiment on. Also, as a kid, before restrictions were in place of what could be shown on tv and what couldn't, I saw a program where a newborn kitten was....well. Never mind. It horrifies me to dredge up that memory.

I am against animal testing. For any reason. Some are just going to have to agree to disagree with my mindset on this subject. If people here are for it..fine. Who am I to judge your beliefs? I expect the same courtesty.

Beagles?

Beagles are useless for medical research, you have been lied to.

Last edited:
These people torture the crap out of animals, infecting them with diseases, crippling them, keeping them in cages and then killing them when they have served a purpose.

I don't condone what the animal rights freaks did, but I am happy those animals were released from the confines of some lab.

Perhaps Miss Matteoli can infect herself with a deadly disease, or give herself autism or something else?

"These people" save lives and cure diseases.

So the fuck what? It doesn't justify cruelty to animals. We're all gonna die anyone, people need to fucking accept that fact.

Does your position justify lying?

That's just propaganda. Animals aren't tortured and nothing is done "just to see what happens". Protocols are reviewed by teams of scientists before any grants are awarded to determine their worth and rules about treatment and care have become increasingly stringent over the years. Animal rights activists have been instrumental in much of that, but to suggest that all animal experimentation should be stopped would basically halt all further progress in the prevention and cure of disease.

Bullshit. Experiment on humans. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would be willing to participate in clinical trials, either for money or be cause they're terminal anyway.

The FDA prohibits human testing.

How psychotic.

Liar.

what a fucking loon you are.

We'll see how you feel about animal experimentation when your child is dying of cancer.

Think what you want. I'd rather be a loon than an asshole.
I have/had breast cancer. It has only been 4 months or so, since my diagnosis. I would rather die from BC than have another creature die FOR me for experiements.

We can't all live forever, ya know.

I'll pop for a pistol, one bullet, and a tarp to catch the mess. You can donate your body to someone who will feed it to zoo animals.

If you understand that these animals may be infected with some disease, or may have been genetically engineered to enhance some mental or behavioral maladaptation, why in hell would you celebrate their release into the environment?

They should be humanely euthanased, which is a better alternative than staying in that hellhole.

Would you prefer it if they did their research on people? Or do you just want people to suffer and die from fatal or debilitating diseases?

If they are so confident with their new wonder drugs, why don't they experiment on themselves? Could it be because they are not actually confident at all?

The simplest way to explain this is that these rats were born with the disease, and the researchers are trying to cure them.

And why were they born with a disease? Because the 'researchers' deliberately engineered it! They purposefully made an animal be born with a horrible disease for the purpose of 'experimenting'. If you would feel sickened if that was done to a human, how can you not feel pity for a defenseless animal who suffers the same?

I wonder how many of those protesting the use of animals in drug development would turn down treatment with drugs when they are ill?

If I got cancer, or something, knowing what I do about animal testing, I would find it hard to justify accepting treatment. I honestly don't know what I would do in that situation.

If your against animal testing then you shouldn't use any cosmetics or anything found in the pharmacy/bath section of your grocery store. The FDA requires every one of these products to be tested on animals before they can be sold to humans.

Not every cosmetic product is tested on animals. There are special stores in which you can buy cosmetics and shampoos that haven't been tested on animals.

If the drugs are meant for humans, why not test them on humans?

Can you tell me why that on a packet of painkillers, it says 'do not give to animals', but that same drug was actually tested on animals before it was allowed on the market?

That may be true, but is it okay to torture animals in order to do that - and keep in mind that it takes years, even decades, for them to find a drug that works. That's thousands of dead animals for a drug that hasn't even been through human trials yet!

The animals are not tortured. If you want torture think of how those animals who were getting treated for those conditions are doing now that they have been denied the drugs they need to make their lives better. Every single one of the terrorists responsible for this crime should be forced to take the places of the animals they have condemned to a slow an painful death.

Injecting a lab rat or bunny with a disease IS torturing them. You cause them pain, and then you cause them more pain when you inject them wit more drugs to try and 'cure' the disease you infected them with!

These lab rats are paralysed, they are electrocuted, they are not seen as animals by these people, rather, as objects.

And the people who do the testing, who develop these drugs - do they actually take part in the human trials? Or are they happy to allow someone else to risk their life/health?

The article already stated that some of the rats that were saved were mutated! That is the result of what these 'people' have done to them - made them mutants! How the hell can anyone be okay with that?
I can be okay with it if it continues to lead to medical advances that save humans from various miseries. It surely beats the syphilis experiments we did once upon a time.

If the drugs are meant for humans, why not test them on humans?

Can you tell me why that on a packet of painkillers, it says 'do not give to animals', but that same drug was actually tested on animals before it was allowed on the market?

If the drugs are meant for animals should we test them on humans also?

That wasn't my point. Why test a drug on animals to see if it will work on humans, and put on the packet that the drug is not to be given to animals?
Did the drug work when tested on animals? If so, why the need to prevent it from being given to the animal?

That may be true, but is it okay to torture animals in order to do that - and keep in mind that it takes years, even decades, for them to find a drug that works. That's thousands of dead animals for a drug that hasn't even been through human trials yet!

The animals are not tortured. If you want torture think of how those animals who were getting treated for those conditions are doing now that they have been denied the drugs they need to make their lives better. Every single one of the terrorists responsible for this crime should be forced to take the places of the animals they have condemned to a slow an painful death.

Injecting a lab rat or bunny with a disease IS torturing them. You cause them pain, and then you cause them more pain when you inject them wit more drugs to try and 'cure' the disease you infected them with!

These lab rats are paralysed, they are electrocuted, they are not seen as animals by these people, rather, as objects.

And the people who do the testing, who develop these drugs - do they actually take part in the human trials? Or are they happy to allow someone else to risk their life/health?

The article already stated that some of the rats that were saved were mutated! That is the result of what these 'people' have done to them - made them mutants! How the hell can anyone be okay with that?

scientists did a cool study not so long ago with lab rats

they implanted electrodes into certain areas of the brain on two rats

miles apart

they taught one rat how to operate a board to get a food treat

after the rat learned this they uploaded his brain activity to the cloud

then sent the information to the other rat who was not trained on the board

immediately the second rat after receiving the down load

was able to operate the board to get the treat

Let's be clear about this. The reason to test things on animals is so that you are not testing them on humans. Humans have more value than animals. That's just a basic fact of life for, I think, the majority of the human population. If a living creature must take risks, better it be a rat than a person.

If you disagree that humans are more valuable than animals, I simply don't understand how you think. If you had a choice to save the life of a puppy or a baby, and you aren't sure which you would choose, I would say your way of thinking is more monstrous than research done on rodents.

If you would choose the human baby without hesitation, then you do place more value on human life than animals, and the argument is just one of degree.

miles apart

How is such an experiment meant to cure a deadly disease?

miles apart

It is likely meant to help us understand activities within our own brains...could lead to advances in neurosurgery, and recovery from brain injuries.

miles apart

actually it is about ending disease as we know it

among other things

Forum List

Back