scientists did a cool study not so long ago with lab rats

they implanted electrodes into certain areas of the brain on two rats

miles apart

they taught one rat how to operate a board to get a food treat

after the rat learned this they uploaded his brain activity to the cloud

then sent the information to the other rat who was not trained on the board

immediately the second rat after receiving the down load

was able to operate the board to get the treat

How is such an experiment meant to cure a deadly disease?
It is likely meant to help us understand activities within our own brains...could lead to advances in neurosurgery, and recovery from brain injuries.

at the very least

If the drugs are meant for humans, why not test them on humans?

Can you tell me why that on a packet of painkillers, it says 'do not give to animals', but that same drug was actually tested on animals before it was allowed on the market?

If the drugs are meant for animals should we test them on humans also?

That wasn't my point. Why test a drug on animals to see if it will work on humans, and put on the packet that the drug is not to be given to animals?
Did the drug work when tested on animals? If so, why the need to prevent it from being given to the animal?

Because it takes generations worth of testing to develop a new drug. If we restricted al testing to humans it would take centuries for each new drug to reach the market.

If the drugs are meant for animals should we test them on humans also?

That wasn't my point. Why test a drug on animals to see if it will work on humans, and put on the packet that the drug is not to be given to animals?
Did the drug work when tested on animals? If so, why the need to prevent it from being given to the animal?

Because it takes generations worth of testing to develop a new drug. If we restricted al testing to humans it would take centuries for each new drug to reach the market.

Yes, and I understand that - but that still leaves me confused as to why a drug not meant for animals is tested on animals. Why have that message on the packet? If the drug has been tested on animals, why can't animals take the drug? Has it been modified in some way?

Yes, and I understand that - but that still leaves me confused as to why a drug not meant for animals is tested on animals. Why have that message on the packet? If the drug has been tested on animals, why can't animals take the drug? Has it been modified in some way?

Because it is faster than testing on humans, and these animals are specially bred to have biochemistry similar enough to humans to make the trials legitimate.

Because it is faster than testing on humans, and these animals are specially bred to have biochemistry similar enough to humans to make the trials legitimate.
...and just think of the learning we have accomplished from the dissection of small mammals and other things. I remember worms and frogs being slit, peeled back and studied.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dis...CKZSa8wSwo4GQBA&ved=0CC8QsAQ&biw=1600&bih=809

These people torture the crap out of animals, infecting them with diseases, crippling them, keeping them in cages and then killing them when they have served a purpose.

I don't condone what the animal rights freaks did, but I am happy those animals were released from the confines of some lab.

Perhaps Miss Matteoli can infect herself with a deadly disease, or give herself autism or something else?

everything you use on your body...all the soaps, lotions, makeup, perfumes and potions and OTC drugs....ALL go to animal clinical testing. Or at least most of them do.

I also have no problem running autism drugs on autistic children instead of animals and to see what reactions it gets. But i somehow don't think parents are going to be offering up their children to test things out.

I also hope that these peta freaks die slow horrible painful deaths....when they refuse any and all drugs offered to help save their miserable hypocritical lives when the time comes. Because.... oh my those drugs were tested on animals.

images

These people torture the crap out of animals, infecting them with diseases, crippling them, keeping them in cages and then killing them when they have served a purpose.

I don't condone what the animal rights freaks did, but I am happy those animals were released from the confines of some lab.

Perhaps Miss Matteoli can infect herself with a deadly disease, or give herself autism or something else?

everything you use on your body...all the soaps, lotions, makeup, perfumes and potions and OTC drugs....ALL go to animal clinical testing. Or at least most of them do.

I also have no problem running autism drugs on autistic children instead of animals and to see what reactions it gets. But i somehow don't think parents are going to be offering up their children to test things out.

I also hope that these peta freaks die slow horrible painful deaths....when they refuse any and all drugs offered to help save their miserable hypocritical lives when the time comes. Because.... oh my those drugs were tested on animals.

I don't use any shampoos or cosmetic items that have been tested on animals. I don't see a reason for it.

I don't use any shampoos or cosmetic items that have been tested on animals. I don't see a reason for it.

take any prescription drugs? Plan on taking any...ever?

A lot of prescription drugs make me ill, but I have taken a few, and I have doing so because I know what those animals went through. Sometimes you have to think that they sacrificed their life so we could be healthy. Doesn't make it any easier, though.

I am more open to the idea of animal testing for medical reasons - for cosmetic reasons, it is never necessary. I just hate the thought of those animals being given diseases and then have them die from it.

A lot of prescription drugs make me ill, but I have taken a few, and I have doing so because I know what those animals went through. Sometimes you have to think that they sacrificed their life so we could be healthy. Doesn't make it any easier, though.

I am more open to the idea of animal testing for medical reasons - for cosmetic reasons, it is never necessary. I just hate the thought of those animals being given diseases and then have them die from it.

Then you are benefiting from animal testing.

Would not want a cure for AIDS? How about diabetes? Im sure you condole with all the parents of children with autism and tell them how sad there will be no help.

Are you willing to look someone in the eyes and deny them as they beg you for drugs to help with what ever it is that is wrong with them?

These so-called animal rights activists are complete hypocrites. Most of them don't or wouldn't refuse drugs tested on animals if they faced illness. All you have to do to know this is look at what they say themselves:-

Would you use drugs tested on animals if you get really sick ? | Boards | peta2.com

animal rights activists.

And no news about it. Amazing. The true anti-science bloc: progressive nutbags:

"
Activists occupied an animal facility at the University of Milan, Italy, at the weekend, releasing mice and rabbits and mixing up cage labels to confuse experimental protocols. Researchers at the university say that it will take years to recover their work.
Many of the animals at the facility are genetic models for psychiatric disorders such as autism and schizophrenia."

"
Michela Matteoli, a neurobiologist who works on autism and other disorders and lost most of her own research in the attack, says that she found some research students crying in the disrupted facility on Monday morning.
“It will take three people at least a year to build up the colonies we had of mouse models of different psychiatric diseases,” she says."

"...animal-rights and environmental extremists have proven to be be capable of lots of damage and widespread, documented criminal activity. Yet they rarely get the press, say, a picture of a rude sign at a Tea Party rally might get. Maybe our more mainstream animal-rights friends could muster some loud denunciations of such tactics to prevent further losses of valuable research. "

Animal-rights activists wreak havoc in Milan laboratory : Nature News & Comment
Animal-rights activists trash years of autism research in Milan lab raid « Hot Air

Wow, what do liberals have to say for themselves? Being the sole champions of science (as they proclaim) they destroy it. That's horrible.

Grouping liberals as you do just shows your ignorance. Many people are supportive of animal rights but do not support the nutters who would do things like this. Do you really think most liberals support such nonsense? Get a brain.

Most people do not support animal testing for cosmetics. That is why so many cosmetic companies have moved away from using animals in their testing. Using animals for medical testing is another story. Most reasonable people do support such testing but also support reasonable treatment of those animals.

Would not want a cure for AIDS? How about diabetes? Im sure you condole with all the parents of children with autism and tell them how sad there will be no help.

Are you willing to look someone in the eyes and deny them as they beg you for drugs to help with what ever it is that is wrong with them?

Of course I want a cure for those terrible diseases. Sometimes I feel that there must be a better way. It isn't right to benefit from the misery of another living being - in this case, an animal.
Hopefully medical science will progress enough in years to come so that animals are no longer necessary.

Most people do not support animal testing for cosmetics. That is why so many cosmetic companies have moved away from using animals in their testing. Using animals for medical testing is another story. Most reasonable people do support such testing but also support reasonable treatment of those animals.

What would you define as 'reasonable' treatment?

Of course I want a cure for those terrible diseases. Sometimes I feel that there must be a better way. It isn't right to benefit from the misery of another living being - in this case, an animal.
Hopefully medical science will progress enough in years to come so that animals are no longer necessary.

have you volunteered for any medical trials on drugs... you know when they first think them up and want to see if they are harmful or not? Now of anyone who is willing? Do you see the peta crowd standing up and saying that they will volunteer to be lab animals?

the only way to cure anything is to put it though trials...and that means animals first before humans.

have you volunteered for any medical trials on drugs... you know when they first think them up and want to see if they are harmful or not? Now of anyone who is willing? Do you see the peta crowd standing up and saying that they will volunteer to be lab animals?

the only way to cure anything is to put it though trials...and that means animals first before humans.

But does that make it okay, though?

Like I have said, hopefully medical science will progress so much so in the future that animals will not be needed for testing.

But does that make it okay, though?

Like I have said, hopefully medical science will progress so much so in the future that animals will not be needed for testing.

When we get to the point we can grow and maintain organs in a lab setting, and do it without needing to spend prohibitive amounts of money, animal testing will likely lessen. It will probably continue to some extent for a long time, if only as a final safety precaution before giving something to humans, but we are getting close to a point where much of it may become unnecessary I think.

Oh those poor helpless animals. Screw our unborn children though, they're worthless.

(Yeah, that's heartless, isn't it? Well that's basically what liberals on this thread are suggesting. You tell me what is more heartless, dear reader.)

Forum List

Back