Three Wounded, Gunman Dead After Florida State University

You know...as tragic and horrible as school shootings are....they still don't come close to the times guns are used to save lives and stop violent crime....

Each year there are about 8-9,000 gun murders a year....each year a gun is used to save lives and stop violent crimes...including mass shootings...on average 1.4 million times a year....

So Esmerelda....you can add numbers...which is greater...gun murder or lives saved with guns?

You anti gunners never seem to mention the lives saved and crimes stopped with guns...I'd say I wonder why...but everyone knows...you can never, ever trust an anti gunner...

Esmerelda...from USA today...it said in this article that there were 900 people killed in school shootings over 7 years...doing the math that is....900 / 7 = 128.5 each year......

and that just trusts the media wing of the anti gun democrat isn't lying about the shootings and the numbers...which is always a mistake since anti gunners simply can't be trusted to tell the truth since they have an irrational fear of guns...think of people with an irrational fear of heights or spiders or snakes....would you trust them when they are confronting their phobia?

Mass shootings toll exceeds 900 in past seven years

Soooo...school shootings 128.5 each year...

Times a gun is used to save lives and stop violent crime on average....1.4 million times....

Esmerelda...which is the bigger number....people killed in school shootings or people saved by law abiding, innocent people using guns to stop violent attacks?

Last edited:
Those statistics you believe about people being saved by a gun, in the hands of someone who is not the police, those statistics are not valid. Only those who chose to believe them believe them. They are a fraud.

Esmerelda...from USA today...it said in this article that there were 900 people killed in school shootings over 7 years...doing the math that is....900 / 7 = 128.5 each year......

and that just trusts the media wing of the anti gun democrat isn't lying about the shootings and the numbers...which is always a mistake since anti gunners simply can't be trusted to tell the truth since they have an irrational fear of guns...think of people with an irrational fear of heights or spiders or snakes....would you trust them when they are confronting their phobia?

Mass shootings toll exceeds 900 in past seven years

Soooo...school shootings 128.5 each year...

Times a gun is used to save lives and stop violent crime on average....1.4 million times....

Esmerelda...which is the bigger number....people killed in school shootings or people saved by law abiding, innocent people using guns to stop violent attacks?

i have counted over 1300 instances in the news this year

of defensive gun uses that has saved at least one life

some several more then one life was saved

Those statistics you believe about people being saved by a gun, in the hands of someone who is not the police, those statistics are not valid. Only those who chose to believe them believe them. They are a fraud.

No, they are scientifically generated by criminologists. Criminologists who were overwhelmingly anti gun until they reviewed the evidence. The closed minded are you, and others of your ilk. No amount of factual data will ever disrupt your belief because your beliefs are based on emotion and as has been said by those smarter than I, "emotions clutter up the mental landscape".

No, they are scientifically generated by criminologists. Criminologists who were overwhelmingly anti gun until they reviewed the evidence. The closed minded are you, and others of your ilk. No amount of factual data will ever disrupt your belief because your beliefs are based on emotion and as has been said by those smarter than I, "emotions clutter up the mental landscape".
I've read your postings. You are the emotional one. I don't believe anything without reliable, unbiased, concrete empirical evidence. The stats that so many people are saved by guns in the hands of the public are speculation, biased speculation. Your wanting to believe it is your problem.

I've read your postings. You are the emotional one. I don't believe anything without reliable, unbiased, concrete empirical evidence. The stats that so many people are saved by guns in the hands of the public are speculation, biased speculation. Your wanting to believe it is your problem.

No, they're not. They are the result of peer reviewed papers in respected publications. What are your OPINIONS based on?:eusa_think::eusa_think:

No, they're not. They are the result of peer reviewed papers in respected publications. What are your OPINIONS based on?:eusa_think::eusa_think:
Logic for one thing. Thousands of incidents that have not been empirically documented are taken as valid evidence. People saying one thing does not make it true. Also, the sources of the studies are not unbiased, though you wish to believe so.

The problem with your argument is the studies ARE based on empirical data. The most comprehensive one was based on police reports of criminal and defensive uses of firearms on a county level basis throughout the US.

Question: What is the basis for these numbers?
Lott: The analysis is based on data for all 3,054 counties in the United States during 18 years from 1977 to 1994.

Interview with John Lott author of More Guns Less Crime

LOL I find it amusing that you would make such a statement after some of your post, this from this very thread

Yet again. Over and over again, only in America. What a country
Here you try to claim that only in America does these school shootings occur. Your statement was quickly proven wrong by showing that it happens around the globe. It was also pointed out that in the top 10 deadliest school shootings 8 occurred outside of the US

This alone points to the hypocrisy in your statement and shows that you rely only on emotional responses and are not equipped to deal in facts and true evidence

You are the one who is stupid and or ignorant
Have you read any of the posts by the OP?
Or yours?
:lol:
Post concrete evidence to support your claim that the US is not worst country for school shootings. The fact is, the US has far more school shootings than any other country. America leads the world in school shootings.
Explain to us how "reasonable" and/or "common sense" gun control woudl have stopped this shooting.
Access to guns
Access to guns is a significant factor in American school shootings. If kids could not and did not bring guns to school, we wouldn't have Columbine, Virginia Tech or Chardon, Ohio. There have been crimes with knives and bats and fists. But school shootings are gun crimes. Kids with guns kill kids at school.
See above

Last edited:
Of course, you say this with full knowledge that you cannot substantively back up your statement in anyway shape or form.

Esmerelda...the research that shows that guns are used on average, and probably more than this, at least 1.4 million times a year to save lives and stop crime are from 19 seperate studies, done by different researchers, several of whom started out either supporting gun control or neutral on the issue, from both private and government reserchers, over a period of 40 years....

The Clinton justice dept. did it's own research....not a pro gun source, and found the number of times was 1.5 million a year....

Obama's CDC spent 10 million dollars in 2013 to research the issue and found that the number of times guns were used to save lives and stop violent crime was between 500,000 and 3 million times a year.....

So the research says you are the one who isn't accurate.....

Esmerelda...you may be new to these studies so here they are...some here are probably tired of seeing these sources but they are good information on the good things guns are used for...

Keep in mind, the bottom total on the column won't paste so I put them right here with the people who did the study, the year of the study and the total number of times they say guns are used to save lives and stop violent crime....

From a post where I listed the number of defensive gun uses of various studies...
Okay...again...here are all the studies that actually give numbers for guns used to save lives and stop crimes taken from the table I provided from guncite.com...

GunCite-Gun Control-How Often Are Guns Used in Self-Defense

GunCite Frequency of Defensive Gun Use in Previous Surveys

Field...1976....3,052,717

Bordua...1977...1,414,544

DMIa 1978...2,141,512

DMIb...1978...1,098,409
Hart...1981...1.797,461

Ohio...1982...771,043

Mauser...1990...1,487,342

Gallup...1991...777,153

Gallup...1993...1,621,377

L.A. TIMES...1994...3,609,682

Tarrance... 1994... 764,036

Clinton's justice dept. study

DEPT. OF JUSTICE...1994...1.5 million
(Subsequent to Kleck's study, the Department of Justice sponsored a survey in 1994 titled, Guns in America: National Survey on Private Ownership and Use of Firearms (text,PDF). Using a smaller sample size than Kleck's, this survey estimated 1.5 million DGU's annually.)
Lawerence Southwich Jr. 400,000 fewer violent crimes and at least 800,000 violent crimes deterred..
.(Lawrence Southwick, Jr.,Guns and Justifiable Homicide: Deterrence and Defense-concludes there are at least 400,000 "fewer violent crimes due to civilian self-defense use of guns" and at least "800,000 violent crimes are deterred each year because of gun ownership and use by civilians.")

Obama's CDC...

from slate.com an article on CDC obama's era...500-3 million defensive gun uses

Handguns suicides mass shootings deaths and self-defense Findings from a research report on gun violence.

7. Guns are used for self-defense often and effectively. “Almost all national survey estimates indicate that defensive gun uses by victims are at least as common as offensive uses by criminals, with estimates of annual uses ranging from about 500,000 to more than 3 million per year … in the context of about 300,000 violent crimes involving firearms in 2008,” says the report. The three million figure is probably high, “based on an extrapolation from a small number of responses taken from more than 19 national surveys.”

"Based on survey data from a 2000 study published in the Journal of Quantitative Criminology,[17] U.S. civilians use guns to defend themselves and others from crime at least 989,883 times per year."
As shown in the previous footnote, this study did not use a nationally representative population. To correct for this, Just Facts used the following equation:

As Kleck points out in his paper...

All of the eleven surveys yielded results that implied over 700,000 uses per year. None of the surveys implied estimates even remotely like the 65,000 to 82,000 figures derived from the NCVS. To date, there has been no confirmation of even the most approximate sort of the NCVS estimates. Indeed, no survey has ever yielded an estimate which is of the same magnitude as those derived from the NCVS.

Esmerelda...do you consider Gallup and the L.A. times as pro gun biased sources....or the Clinton justice dept. or the obama CDC?

Forum List

Back