Thomas Sowell: The Right to Win

CrimsonWhite

*****istrator Emeritus
Mar 13, 2006
Guntucky
I love this guy's perspective.

Among the many new "rights" being conjured out of thin air, a new one seems to be a "right" to win.

Americans have long had the right to put their candidates and their ideas to a vote. Now there seems to be a sense that your rights have been trampled on if you don't win.

Hillary Clinton's supporters were not merely disappointed, but outraged, when she lost the Democrats' nomination to Barack Obama. Some took it as a sign that, while racial barriers had come down, the "glass ceiling" holding down women was still in place.

Apparently, if you don't win, somebody has put up a barrier or a ceiling. The more obvious explanation of the nomination outcome was that Obama ran a better campaign than Hillary. There is not the slightest reason to doubt that she would have been the nominee if the votes in the primaries had come out her way.

As the election approached, pundits warned that, if Obama lost, there would be riots in the ghetto. We will never know. But since when does any candidate have a right to win any office, much less the White House?

RealClearPolitics - Articles - The Right to Win

I love this guy's perspective.

And let us not forget the outraged protests and riots from the Prop 8 opponents. I almost hope they continue to act like spoiled, tantrum-throwing children, because they do more to drive people away from them than any argument the rest of us could present.

Thank you for sharing this article. I'm a fan of Thomas Sowell.

I was particularly struck by the behavior of gays in San Francisco.

"Apparently Mormons don't have the same rights as other Americans, at least not if they don't vote the way gay activists want them to vote.

There was another gay activist mob gathered outside a Mormon temple in Orange County, California.

In the past, gay activists have disrupted Catholic services and their "gay pride" parades in San Francisco have crudely mocked nuns.

While demanding tolerance from others, gay activists apparently feel no need to show any themselves.

How did we get to this kind of situation?"

Life isn't fair, but what gives them the audacity to behave this way in a church? Why should nuns be mocked without retribution? Heaven forbid if gays were mocked! We'd have ACLU knocking on the doors.

Forum List

Back