this isn't better than sex

del

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2008
on a one way cul-de-sac
but it's kicking the crap out of whatever's in third place.

Nancy Reagan's Persimmon Pudding with Brandy Sauce
Yield: Serves 8

Ingredients:
PUDDING:
1/2 cup butter, melted

1 cup sugar

1 cup flour, sifted

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg

1 cup persimmon pulp, from 3 to 4 ripe persimmons

2 teaspoons baking soda

2 teaspoons warm water

3 tablespoons brandy, plus about 1/4 cup for flaming

1 teaspoon vanilla

2 eggs, slightly beaten

1 cup seedless raisins

1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans

2 tablespoons grated orange peel (optional)

BRANDY WHIPPED CREAM SAUCE:

1 egg

1/3 cup melted butter

1 cup sifted powdered sugar

dash of salt

1 tablespoon brandy flavoring

1 cup heavy cream

TO MAKE PUDDING: Stir together butter and sugar. Resift flour with salt, cinnamon and nutmeg and add to butter-and-sugar mixture.

Add persimmon pulp, baking soda dissolved in warm water, brandy and vanilla. Add eggs, mixing thoroughly but lightly. Add raisins, pecans and orange peel, stirring until mixed.

Turn into a buttered 5- to 6-cup heatproof mold. Cover mold and place on rack in pot. Pour enough boiling water into pot to reach halfway up sides of mold.

Cover pot and simmer for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. Remove mold from water and let stand for a few minutes, then unmold onto a serving plate.

TO SERVE: At table, pour about 1/4 cup of warmed brandy over pudding and light. Serve with Brandy Whipped Cream Sauce.

TO MAKE BRANDY WHIPPED CREAM SAUCE: Beat egg until light and fluffy. Beat in melted butter, powdered sugar, salt and brandy flavoring. Beat 1 cup heavy cream until stiff. Fold whipped cream into butter mixture. Cover and chill until ready to use. Stir before spooning onto pudding.

NOTE: If you prefer not to use raw egg in the sauce, simply combine whipped cream with a little powdered sugar and a little brandy flavoring. It will have a different texture and consistency but will taste delicious with the pudding.

My mouth is watering. I should know better than to read recipes late in the evening when we have no persimmons in the house.

• Banned
My mouth is watering. I should know better than to read recipes late in the evening when we have no persimmons in the house.

we usually have it on christmas, but i bought one persimmon too many so i had to buy another one and have it again today. i find two well ripened ones give you a cup's worth. grab a couple tomorrow and go for it- totally worth it.

even without the brandy

Forum List

Back