This Is Why Police Must Always Shoot to Kill

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
A gang member who allegedly shot an Omaha police officer at close range is set to get his own medical bills picked up by Omaha taxpayers.

According to authorities, John Ezell Jr., 36, was shot multiple times by officers after he fired at Officer Ken Fortune during a traffic stop in north Omaha.

Ezell spent a month in the hospital recovering from his injuries.

Now, the city says it has to pay Ezell’s $239,670.63 bill for treatment by the Nebraska Medical Center and UNMC Physicians.

“I’m sure there’s going to be a number of council members who will hold their nose and vote for it,” said City Council President Ben Gray. “I’m going to be one of them. We’re obligated to do it.”

Assistant City Attorney Jeff Bloom said the city is constitutionally required to provide medical treatment to people who need it while in police custody.

Bloom cited a Nebraska Supreme Court case from 1988 involving the City of Omaha and state law that codifies the responsibility of the political subdivision — in this case, the city — to cover the cost.[…]

According to police:

Omaha gang officers in an unmarked car tried to stop the vehicle Ezell was riding in near 26th Street and Laurel Avenue on Sept. 11.

The driver, Brandon Richey, initially complied, but as police walked toward the car, Richey took off. Richey later said Ezell yelled at him to “Go!”

Officers tried to stop the car multiple times. Finally, Ezell, a known gang member, opened the passenger door and pointed a gun at Fortune, shooting him in the shoulder.

Two other officers, Christopher Brown and Jeffrey Wasmund, returned fire, hitting Ezell multiple times. Police have said Ezell was drunk, with a blood alcohol level of 0.333, when he was arrested.

Ezell was charged with attempted murder, first-degree assault of an officer and three weapons charges. He’s held on $3 million bail.

Fortune, the police officer, got out of the hospital after a few days and was back on the job a month after the incident. He also was shot at during a separate incident a year ago.

City of Omaha on hook for $250,000 medical bill of gang member charged with shooting police officer

And once he heals the taxpayers will pick up the tab for his sex change surgery.

Yup. Blow their brains out. That way there won't be a hospital bill that the taxpayers will have to pay.

Oh and you won't have to worry about deporting the asshole or having him show up again.

Works every time.

A few of us were speaking to the attorney who ran part of our CC qual class, and he said an interesting thing.

He said (paraphrased) "Civil law is shifty. If you ever have to shoot someone, be sure you are justified. If you are justified, kill them. If you don't, his family could be on you for any damages, possibly for the rest of his life, and yours."

This is where your thread crashes and burns in a twisted heap of detritus. Similarly unmarked police once came screaming up the road and pulled guns on me, with no self-identification whatsoever. Had I been packing heat as the internet tough-guy gun fetishes on this site are constantly whacking off about, I would have logically pulled my firearm on this obvious threat, and I'd be dead, and if I was a decent shot they would too.

And my aim is in fact pretty fuckin' deadly.

What had I done? Gotten off the trolley and was walking home. They were (allegedly) looking for a suspect to ring up, and I happened to be a warm body available, first one they saw.

Learn how the world WORKS, cupcake.

Better luck next time....

This is where your thread crashes and burns in a twisted heap of detritus. Similarly unmarked police once came screaming up the road and pulled guns on me, with no self-identification whatsoever. Had I been packing heat as the internet tough-guy gun fetishes on this site are constantly whacking off about, I would have logically pulled my firearm on this obvious threat, and I'd be dead, and if I was a decent shot they would too.

What had I done? Gotten off the trolley and was walking home. They were (allegedly) looking for a suspect to ring up, and I happened to be a warm body available, first one they saw.

Had that happened we wouldn't be stuck reading your lame posts.

Sounds like a fair trade-off.

A gang member who allegedly shot an Omaha police officer at close range is set to get his own medical bills picked up by Omaha taxpayers.

According to authorities, John Ezell Jr., 36, was shot multiple times by officers after he fired at Officer Ken Fortune during a traffic stop in north Omaha.

Now, the city says it has to pay Ezell’s $239,670.63 bill for treatment by the Nebraska Medical Center and UNMC Physicians.

“I’m sure there’s going to be a number of council members who will hold their nose and vote for it,” said City Council President Ben Gray. “I’m going to be one of them. We’re obligated to do it.”

Assistant City Attorney Jeff Bloom said the city is constitutionally required to provide medical treatment to people who need it while in police custody.

Bloom cited a Nebraska Supreme Court case from 1988 involving the City of Omaha and state law that codifies the responsibility of the political subdivision — in this case, the city — to cover the cost.[…]

According to police:

Omaha gang officers in an unmarked car tried to stop the vehicle Ezell was riding in near 26th Street and Laurel Avenue on Sept. 11.

The driver, Brandon Richey, initially complied, but as police walked toward the car, Richey took off. Richey later said Ezell yelled at him to “Go!”

Officers tried to stop the car multiple times. Finally, Ezell, a known gang member, opened the passenger door and pointed a gun at Fortune, shooting him in the shoulder.

Two other officers, Christopher Brown and Jeffrey Wasmund, returned fire, hitting Ezell multiple times. Police have said Ezell was drunk, with a blood alcohol level of 0.333, when he was arrested.

Ezell was charged with attempted murder, first-degree assault of an officer and three weapons charges. He’s held on $3 million bail.

Fortune, the police officer, got out of the hospital after a few days and was back on the job a month after the incident. He also was shot at during a separate incident a year ago.

City of Omaha on hook for $250,000 medical bill of gang member charged with shooting police officer

And once he heals the taxpayers will pick up the tab for his sex change surgery.

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Newsflash: The dead don’t get prosecuted.

Says the Dufus who thinks the reporter of news articles is the topic of the story.

According to police:

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence.

Newsflash: The dead don’t get prosecuted.

Another conservative that misses the point.

Says the Dufus trying to change the topic of the thread. Either stay on topic or get reported, Leftard.

A few of us were speaking to the attorney who ran part of our CC qual class, and he said an interesting thing.

He said (paraphrased) "Civil law is shifty. If you ever have to shoot someone, be sure you are justified. If you are justified, kill them. If you don't, his family could be on you for any damages, possibly for the rest of his life, and yours."
You`re attending murder school? Whatever.

You`re attending murder school? Whatever.

If you are attacked with deadly force, responding with same is not murder by any definition.

Wow, I thought the goal was to make people interested in coming to states that they have never been to before, not make them pick some where else to go.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Each state is different, but many states protect the victim from being sued Civilly if it is a legal self defense shooting. I've taken several handgun, self defense courses. Much of the courses teach you when you can and should use a firearm, and the legal issues you face in these situations. We were always taught to shoot to stop the threat, not "kill". Once your life is no longer in danger you have an obligation to stop shooting. We are not executioners.

Each state is different, but many states protect the victim from being sued Civilly if it is a legal self defense shooting. I've taken several handgun, self defense courses. Much of the courses teach you when you can and should use a firearm, and the legal issues you face in these situations. We were always taught to shoot to stop the threat, not "kill". Once your life is no longer in danger you have an obligation to stop shooting. We are not executioners.

In such a case, so long as an attacker is on his feet with a weapon in his hand, I will continue firing. I've no obligation to do otherwise, or to take a chance.

Forum List

Back