THIS is what we need for a Superbowl halftime

There have been plenty of rock bands in the halftime shows. Maroon 5 is, I guess, a rock band..or at least rock-ish, from last year. Coldplay was there in 2016. Red Hot Chili Peppers in 2014. Slash was part of the 2011 show. The Who played 2010. Bruce Springsteen in 2009. Tom Petty in 2008. Etc.
Maroon 5, who are they? Didn't they just play a few years ago? They are no rock band.
Coldplay, who are they? I thought these had to be "popular" bands.
Red Hot Chilli Peppers: their show stunk. Totally watered down.
Slash, you mean the guitarist from GNR?
The Who. Again, watered down and commercialized, but that was a DECADE ago anyway.
Springsteen. Light Rock. Pop rock.
Tom Petty. Same. FM radio stuff.

I'm not asking for real, goose-pimple invoking, mind-reeling music every year, but the NFL venues have been falling in toward a gut wrenching pop sameness like baby pap making it about as significant and memorable a music event as the Pro Bowl is to football.

If people think these shows are "memorable" they haven't a clue anything about real good music.

Well, Maroon 5 and Coldplay are popular bands. :)

Not in my circles.

I'm pretty sure the NFL isn't looking at what's popular in your circles when determining the acts that play. ;)

There have been plenty of rock bands in the halftime shows. Maroon 5 is, I guess, a rock band..or at least rock-ish, from last year. Coldplay was there in 2016. Red Hot Chili Peppers in 2014. Slash was part of the 2011 show. The Who played 2010. Bruce Springsteen in 2009. Tom Petty in 2008. Etc.
Maroon 5, who are they? Didn't they just play a few years ago? They are no rock band.
The Who. Again, watered down and commercialized, but that was a DECADE ago anyway.

I'm not asking for real, goose-pimple invoking, mind-reeling music every year, but the NFL venues have been falling in toward a gut wrenching pop sameness like baby pap making it about as significant and memorable a music event as the Pro Bowl is to football.

If people think these shows are "memorable" they haven't a clue anything about real good music.

Not in my circles.

I'm pretty sure the NFL isn't looking at what's popular in your circles when determining the acts that play. ;)

True, but I'd bet there are a whole lot of people who would rather hear something more rocking than J Lo or Justin Timberlake.

Not in my circles.

True, but I'd bet there are a whole lot of people who would rather hear something more rocking than J Lo or Justin Timberlake.

Of course. Like I said, though, there's still rock acts at the halftime shows. It just hasn't been as much recently, for whatever reason. I assume the NFL is trying to get the most popular pop artists they can to try appealing to the broadest audience. :dunno:

Not in my circles.

Of course. Like I said, though, there's still rock acts at the halftime shows. It just hasn't been as much recently, for whatever reason. I assume the NFL is trying to get the most popular pop artists they can to try appealing to the broadest audience. :dunno:
You know what they say about broad appeal: that which appeals to everyone appeals to no one. We've had our fill of Pop Rock pap for years now. Better to have a band that many people LOVE rather than a band that most everyone can merely put up with.

And if you go to any live NFL game, it's pretty clear what most people like.

Not in my circles.

You know what they say about broad appeal: that which appeals to everyone appeals to no one. We've had our fill of Pop Rock pap for years now. Better to have a band that many people LOVE rather than a band that most everyone can merely put up with.

Until it causes them problems I doubt the NFL will vary too greatly from what they’ve been doing. :dunno:

Not in my circles.

Here is an article about it. It says that host cities are the ones who actually choose the performers, the performers are not paid.

Here’s How the NFL Chooses the Super Bowl Halftime Performers

Not in my circles.

Until it causes them problems I doubt the NFL will vary too greatly from what they’ve been doing. :dunno:

Still, I would rather listen to Metallica at the halftime show than Jennifer Lopez. Nothing against Jennifer. She is great at what she does. She just can't rock out. :D

I'd like to see some politicians hung at half time.

That's a little severe, Mike. I think a far better choice would be to have Adam, Jerry Nadler and Nancy strip naked, paint their bodies with coal tar, then cover them in feathers and make them run around the field waving their arms squawking like chickens chasing a truck with an actor in the back wearing a Trump mask as the audience roars!

You see, my way, we can humiliate them over and over and over again! Might eventually even get our money's worth out of them. They should be locked up that way, naked, tarred and feathered eating dog food for 22 years for what they have done to this country.
Got a couple winners here!

Not in my circles.

Here is an article about it. It says that host cities are the ones who actually choose the performers, the performers are not paid.

Here’s How the NFL Chooses the Super Bowl Halftime Performers

I brought this up earlier. I guess the NFL makes a list of choices for the cities to pick from.

I'm a woman. I watch the SB for the game. They usually pass when I think that they should run the ball and pass when I think that they should run it. The half-time show is basically for food and bathroom breaks. The only exception that I ever made was when Springsteen played it because I'm a long-time fan of his. I hate these extravagant, boring dance numbers by half-clothed individuals, and, frankly, most of what passes for music these days are lip-syncing idiots who can't even play an instrument. It's all electronic.

I'm a woman. I watch the SB for the game. They usually pass when I think that they should run the ball and pass when I think that they should run it. The half-time show is basically for food and bathroom breaks. The only exception that I ever made was when Springsteen played it because I'm a long-time fan of his. I hate these extravagant, boring dance numbers by half-clothed individuals, and, frankly, most of what passes for music these days are lip-syncing idiots who can't even play an instrument. It's all electronic.
Milli Vanilli would be perfect for this, then.

Barf.
Give me people like Springsteen, Mark Knopfler, the entire Motown/R&B Crew, Stevie Wonder, Stevie Winwood, the Yardbirds, Tina Turner, Melissa Etheridge,Van Morrison, Black gospel. There are so many more. Not these big production numbers with people who have no talent or creativity. Why eat at McDonald's when you can dine at the Ritz? End of rant.

And its too fucking long. Like 50 mins

Barf.
Give me people like Springsteen, Mark Knopfler, the entire Motown/R&B Crew, Stevie Wonder, Stevie Winwood, the Yardbirds, Tina Turner, Melissa Etheridge,Van Morrison, Black gospel. There are so many more. Not these big production numbers with people who have no talent or creativity. Why eat at McDonald's when you can dine at the Ritz? End of rant.

Oh, they have talent. Some of them quite a lot. It's just not a talent for something you or I enjoy. ;)

Barf.

Oh, they have talent. Some of them quite a lot. It's just not a talent for something you or I enjoy. ;)

There is no energy or originality there. Someone like the electric Tina Turner has it. So does Springsteen, who actually is quite proficient on guitar, as well. I have seen him keep it up for hours. I saw him once keep playing will going to a pail of water on the drum riser, dunk his head in and shake it off, without missing a thing. I also went to an acoustic concert of his at Constitution Hall, when he held the audience for hours with just an acoustic guitar and a harmonic, no band.

I hate this watered-down, overly-produced stuff. The last person to really inspire me was that frumpy Scotswoman, Susan Boyle, who went out there to laughter and brought down the house. I still enjoy listening to her performance that night.

Barf.
Pro football used to be Mickee Dees, but has morphed into the Ritz over the years.

Barf.

There is no energy or originality there. Someone like the electric Tina Turner has it. So does Springsteen, who actually is quite proficient on guitar, as well. I have seen him keep it up for hours. I saw him once keep playing will going to a pail of water on the drum riser, dunk his head in and shake it off, without missing a thing. I also went to an acoustic concert of his at Constitution Hall, when he held the audience for hours with just an acoustic guitar and a harmonic, no band.

I hate this watered-down, overly-produced stuff. The last person to really inspire me was that frumpy Scotswoman, Susan Boyle, who went out there to laughter and brought down the house. I still enjoy listening to her performance that night.

Again, what matters to the NFL is probably the broadest appeal they can get. Jennifer Lopez and Shakira are pretty popular singers, or at least have been. I don't think either of them is known for being particularly controversial, so that also might be appealing. They probably like to space out their Janet Jackson type moments. :lol:

Forum List

Back