this is so wrong in this 'great' country

When Jessica Pittman was driving through her hometown of Gulfport, Mississippi, last year, she couldn’t help but notice an elderly man standing next to his parked car by the side of the road.

gulfport is now in hungary?

Maybe. If you ask a Korean, they will tell you about Soul's main river, the Han river, by the exact same name as Hungary (discount the spelling). The Hunnic Empire did indeed reach through the vast lands of not one but two entire continents.
Where is Soul, Korea?
It's the kapital of South Korea, but as usual, I don't know how to spell it. Hehe. Maybe there is a letter e in it, but I don't like the letter e, it is too popular.

This Old Man Is Selling Wood Every Day To Pay For Wife’s Medical Bills

When Jessica Pittman was driving through her hometown of Gulfport, Mississippi, last year, she couldn’t help but notice an elderly man standing next to his parked car by the side of the road.

Curious, Jessica pulled up beside the man, who seemed to be selling something.

The man introduced himself as Kenneth Smith, and he was there with his wife, Helen.

Together, they were selling kindling wood to pay for Helen’s hospital bills.

A few years ago, Helen was diagnosed with lung cancer. The couple couldn’t afford to pay for all of her expensive medications and doctor visits, so Kenneth started cutting up a rotten tree, putting the wood in bags, and selling it as kindling.
According to the hateful, wrongheaded dogma of the reprehensible right, of course, Kenneth Smith has only himself to blame.

Smith’s plight, according to conservatives, is the consequence of his failure to work hard and become successful so that he and his wife might be able to pay for health insurance and medical expenses.

That Smith and his wife would have to depend on unreliable, capricious donations from strangers is completely unacceptable in a great and prosperous Nation such as ours.

When somewhere between a third to a half of Americans are poor (depending on who's stat you believe), something is wrong.

Yet three men have wealth equaling half of the USA.
I wonder how well do the 3 men pay their employees? Do they also have really good benefits for their employees here?

The man introduced himself as Kenneth Smith, and he was there with his wife, Helen.

A few years ago, Helen was diagnosed with lung cancer. The couple couldn’t afford to pay for all of her expensive medications and doctor visits, so Kenneth started cutting up a rotten tree, putting the wood in bags, and selling it as kindling.
According to the hateful, wrongheaded dogma of the reprehensible right, of course, Kenneth Smith has only himself to blame.

Smith’s plight, according to conservatives, is the consequence of his failure to work hard and become successful so that he and his wife might be able to pay for health insurance and medical expenses.

That Smith and his wife would have to depend on unreliable, capricious donations from strangers is completely unacceptable in a great and prosperous Nation such as ours.

Wow !

What made you so bitter ?

I would agree that the OP paints a pretty sad picture.

There is much we don't know about the situation that would be good to know before reaching any final conclusions.

In general, society has to ask itself what it wants.

There is much we don't know about the situation that would be good to know before reaching any final conclusions.

Society wants Soviet style total control. In prison, and it centrally heated dorms, all others prohibited.

Where I live there are spaghetti suppers all the time to raise money for a family whose family member has gotten cancer or been in a serious car accident--things like that. I'm sure it doesn't even raise enough for one hospital night, but hey, it lets the family buy some groceries.
I believe in universal health care. However, the way things are now, of course people will do what they can to get by and be responsible for their debts the best they can. That's a cheerful story, in some ways--people doing what's right.

Maybe. If you ask a Korean, they will tell you about Soul's main river, the Han river, by the exact same name as Hungary (discount the spelling). The Hunnic Empire did indeed reach through the vast lands of not one but two entire continents.
Where is Soul, Korea?
Just a hop, skip, and a jump north of Seoul.

Down here during cold months a lot of people sell wood on the roadside. Nothing out of the ordinary.

If they are that poor, shouldn't they be getting virtually free insurance through ObamaCare?
Medicaid may pay for her treatment but it will not will not pay for her husband's hotel room.

He needs to keep selling wood. And this is the most wonderful time of the year for that.

----------

BTW, the OP still has not said why she has a beef with firewood merchants. WTF is their problem.

Obaminationcare probably wouldn’t help him

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Society wants Soviet style total control. In prison, and it centrally heated dorms, all others prohibited.

I don't believe that is the case generally. Otherwise, we'd have it.

We don't.

We have Donald Trump as a reaction to those who would take us in that direction.

Where I live there are spaghetti suppers all the time to raise money for a family whose family member has gotten cancer or been in a serious car accident--things like that. I'm sure it doesn't even raise enough for one hospital night, but hey, it lets the family buy some groceries.
I believe in universal health care. However, the way things are now, of course people will do what they can to get by and be responsible for their debts the best they can. That's a cheerful story, in some ways--people doing what's right.

What do you define as "universal health care".

To me that is one of the key starting points in this conversation.

Until you can define it, you can't discuss it.

I don't want European style health care.

But I do want the government doing smart things like public awareness (just not Michelle's school lunch ploy).

I would like to see tax credits for preventative activities.

I think we should not allow seniors to jam up the waiting rooms of our doctors just because they are lonely.

I don't believe that is the case generally. Otherwise, we'd have it.

We don't.

We have Donald Trump as a reaction to those who would take us in that direction.

I agree, but luckily the USA elections are never decided by popular vote but by electoral college. If it was by popular vote, then only Clinton would be on the ballot, because new york city and Los Angeles would always decide everything. So luckily, America doesn't have to elect what society wants. Otherwise it would already be Soviet Union 2.0.

Wow !

What made you so bitter ?
He grew up progressive. It sucks when your worldview is so wrong.

What the fuck is so wrong about selling wood?

I sell wood. Do you got some kind of problem with that?
Do you have your wood selling license?
I don't need one but I only sell wood locally because of the evil emerald ash borer.

eab-adult.jpg

Poor ash trees. I can't believe the chemists haven't yet worked out sOmething against this damn animal.
It seems that the government's solution to the problem of emerald ash borers infesting and killing ash trees is to kill all the ash trees first.

Makes sense...sorta... :lol:

I don't need one but I only sell wood locally because of the evil emerald ash borer.

eab-adult.jpg

Poor ash trees. I can't believe the chemists haven't yet worked out sOmething against this damn animal.
It seems that the government's solution to the problem of emerald ash borers infesting and killing ash trees is to kill all the ash trees first.

Yes, just like the government.

eab-adult.jpg

We had burrying beetles destroying oak trees for 15 years around here, it finally burned itself out...But we have fewer oaks...

Forum List

Back