This Is How the New SAT Will Test Vocabulary

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
The Scoop (Celebritychef) Katy Steinmetz

A redesigned SAT due out in the spring of 2016 will no longer reward students for the rote memorization of semi-obscure word definitions, but instead emphasize “high utility” words they're more likely to encounter in life

The reasoning behind this actually makes sense to me!!! In a rare case of common sense, those altering that SAT you once took seem to be using a reasonable approach. At least if these two examples are going to be the results. Read more @ New SAT Vocabulary: How The Test Will Work - TIME and tell us what you think.

Vocabulary is destiny. Usually.

When I was in grade school we studied from a series of little vocabulary pamphlets, memorizing words, meanings, and spelling. The words were chosen according to the number of times they were found in a mountain of reputable newspapers and magazines. This seems to me like a good way of selecting the words to be studied. Nothing terribly esoteric.

This latest attempt at manufacturing a desired range of outcomes takes the 'Dumb it Down as Far as You Have to' approach.

As the story goes, he was born lame in one leg and lost sight in one eye due to a childhood illness.

The Scoop (Celebritychef) Katy Steinmetz

A redesigned SAT due out in the spring of 2016 will no longer reward students for the rote memorization of semi-obscure word definitions, but instead emphasize “high utility” words they're more likely to encounter in life

The reasoning behind this actually makes sense to me!!! In a rare case of common sense, those altering that SAT you once took seem to be using a reasonable approach. At least if these two examples are going to be the results. Read more @ New SAT Vocabulary: How The Test Will Work - TIME and tell us what you think.

i've always thought working vocabulary is important. it shouldn't be just rote memorization of words. it should be the ability of the student to incorporate those words into his or her daily life.... so they *should* understand them.

and while i understand the utility of that type of thinking, don't you feel they're dumbing down the test?

Little wonder why more and more kids are opting for the ACT instead.

Forum List

Back