This is f*ing illegal!

I don't think they pay you for your blood anymore do they?

for some parts of blood they pay you here (germany), like plasma, or thrombocytes. if it is a for profit organization. at the red cross where i donated my blood i got a sandwich.

I think the red cross handles all the blood donated in the USA,, and yep,, cookies and juice..and small talk.

I remember back in college some of the guys would sell...it might have been plasma, now that I think about it. And other bodily fluids if they could. Heckuva way to buy beer.

As far as selling organs, I don't have a problem with it so long as it is being done freely. There has been more discussion concerning this lately. Just a couple weeks ago I was watching two people debate the merits of making this legal.

On another note, how would everyone here feel about making everyone an organ donor? In other words, reverse the system as it is now. Currently, when people get their driver's license, they can sign up to become an organ donor. Many do not for the simple reason that they really don't think about it. In some countries, everyone is an organ donor. If they choose not to be, then it is up to them to sign a statement stating so. So rather than signing up to be an organ donor when getting your driver's license, you would sign against being an organ donor if you didn't want to be one.

Man says he sold kidney in U.S. for $20k
New York recipient says he was near death when Israeli man answered ad
AP
updated 24 minutes ago
Nick Rosen, 39, says he was paid $20,000 for giving a kidney to a New York man. He says he did a good deed and that donors like him should be compensated.

NEW YORK - In 2005, a rebellious and sporadically employed Israeli man flew to New York to give up a kidney to save an American businessman. For that, he says he was paid $20,000, which appeared in a brown envelope on his hospital bed after the operation.

That payoff would be illegal.

Man says he sold kidney in U.S. for $20k - Health care- msnbc.com

I see the argument on both sides!
Pro:
We have a storage of organs as is and this would produce a market for them.

Con:
The slippery slope. $20K, but it can increase due to people negotiating. Hey buddy you dying son needs s kidney wouldn't you say his life is worth $120K?

The organ harvesting. If organs can be purchased legally. In some back water brutal countries in say Latin America, Asia or Africa you could see forced organ harvesting for profit! Never underestimate evil people's desire to make money!

A person basically being force to give up a kidney to pay off his debts.

Young stupid people selling their organs when they are well young!

You think this is creepy? Have you looked into the black market for cadavers and dead body parts? Think all those funeral homes burying caskets full of tires. Compared to that, organs at least save a life. Possibly even two, if the money makes enough of a difference to the donor.
Classic capitalism, indeed. One guy has something he's willing to sell and somebody else has a need for it and is willing to pay for it. The only real difference between this guy and the guy listing his car in the paper for sale is the surgery.

More of a reason to be a registered organ donor, like I am!

Now having kids for replacement parts seems reprehensible to me. Although if one of my children were in that situation I might understand the temptation.

I would give my kidney, lung, liver or heart for anyone of my children if it ment they could live for every a few more hours!

However, no matter how bad I go I wouldn't accept any organs from them. They would need it a heck of a lot more than I would!

Under Obama care they will use eminent domain policies to remove kidneys and other organs from the poor or republicans for transplants to give to rich democrat donors!!! Page 640 HR. 3200

I don't say this to people often, but in your case it seems warranted.

Shut the fuck up, you lying idiot.

Donors should not be paid for thei body parts.

Okay I can see why we wouldn't want to encourage that.

But the surgeon who puts that kidney in is makng big bucks.

In fact everybody is making big bucks but the most important person involved with this operation.

Odd set of values we have, isn't it?

You think this is creepy? Have you looked into the black market for cadavers and dead body parts? Think all those funeral homes burying caskets full of tires. Compared to that, organs at least save a life. Possibly even two, if the money makes enough of a difference to the donor.
Classic capitalism, indeed. One guy has something he's willing to sell and somebody else has a need for it and is willing to pay for it. The only real difference between this guy and the guy listing his car in the paper for sale is the surgery.

More of a reason to be a registered organ donor, like I am!

Me too!

Donors should not be paid for thei body parts.

Okay I can see why we wouldn't want to encourage that.

But the surgeon who puts that kidney in is makng big bucks.

In fact everybody is making big bucks but the most important person involved with this operation.

Odd set of values we have, isn't it?

When is the best time to donate your organs? When you die and REALLY don't need them anymore. However it would be nice for the family of the deceased who donates his/her organs to at least get something!

How about commenting on the illegality of buying/selling body parts?

It shouldn't be illegal for someone to sell a kidney or any other organ for that matter.

After all it's my body. I own it. i should be able to do whatever the hell i want with it in whole or in part.

Here is a goodway to get rid of these politicians donate all their parts to the sick. That would be a way to have term limits!!!

It shouldn't be illegal for someone to sell a kidney or any other organ for that matter.

After all it's my body. I own it. i should be able to do whatever the hell i want with it in whole or in part.

Your not afraid of the slippery slope? Selling organs can lead to a black market! There are many poor and lawless countries out there. Latin America, India (with it 1.1 billion people), Indonesia (with its dense population), Africa, Myammar, China (with its 1.3 billion people) and Eastern Europe could be prime locations for organ harvesting!

Look what happen to Africa from the West's lust for diamonds! It turned Africa into a killing field for blood diamonds!

Could it lead to a slippery slope of inmates being forced to give up organs or debtors giving up organs to pay off their debts?

I fear the slipper slope!

I remember back in college some of the guys would sell...it might have been plasma, now that I think about it. And other bodily fluids if they could. Heckuva way to buy beer.

Yeah, you can get paid for the plasma.

Your not afraid of the slippery slope? Selling organs can lead to a black market! There are many poor and lawless countries out there. Latin America, India (with it 1.1 billion people), Indonesia (with its dense population), Africa, Myammar, China (with its 1.3 billion people) and Eastern Europe could be prime locations for organ harvesting!

Look what happen to Africa from the West's lust for diamonds! It turned Africa into a killing field for blood diamonds!

Could it lead to a slippery slope of inmates being forced to give up organs or debtors giving up organs to pay off their debts?

I fear the slipper slope!

I don't.

People should have absolute say in matters of their physical selves.

It's none of my business, or yours for that matter, if some poor guy wants to sell a kidney to some rich guy.

Forum List

Back