THIS is America

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
Jeff Bauman: Thank you, Boston! | Boston Herald

front41514.jpg

Dear Boston,

It’s been a year since the bombing at our marathon, and I’m sure there will be many articles written about it and testimonials given and pictures shown. I don’t know that I have much to add, except for the one important thing that needs to be said, and which I’m not sure others will get around to saying: Thank you.

Thank you to everyone who rushed to our aid in those terrible moments after the bombs went off. Without your courage, I would not be alive today.

Thank you to all the doctors and nurses who cared for me. Without your kindness, my family and I would have felt so much more pain.

Thank you to the law enforcement officers who worked so hard to identify and capture the bombers, and to the Watertown P.D., who cornered them. You always acted like we were people, not victims.

Thank you to everyone who wrote messages and sent gifts and prayed for me. You will never understand how much it meant. You inspired me every day.

Thank you to my fellow survivors, especially the ones who are now my friends. We laughed so much together, even though we were hurting. We laughed about the exercises, like trying to catch a ball without falling over. We laughed about the scars. We even laughed when strangers told us, “You’re doing so well. You make it look so easy.” Sometimes, it’s easier to smile with someone than to admit to them how much it really hurts.

I am so sorry for the four we lost and all their family and friends. We stood together for a moment at the finish line, and I will stand with you forever. I know my pain is nothing compared to yours, not just today but every day.

I am lucky, I know. Lucky to be alive. Lucky to live in this city. Lucky to have your love and support. That’s why I want to say to everyone who donated any amount, large or small, especially the children who broke open their piggy banks to send us their life savings: Thank you. You changed our lives.

To those who attended fundraisers and charity events: Thank you. You made us feel like part of something.

To everyone at the Bruins and Red Sox games when I raised the flag or threw out the first pitch: Thank you. I didn’t want to do it. I thought it was pathetic that I couldn’t get out of my wheelchair. I thought that if I tried to stand up and fell down, then everyone would laugh at me. Or even worse, feel sorry for me.

But when I heard you cheering, I knew that I didn’t have to prove anything. You were happy to have me there, just the way I was. I’m sorry the Bruins lost.

I am thankful today, especially, for my family and friends, the most loyal people on earth. For many months, while I was in intensive rehab, my goal was to walk in the Boston Marathon this year. I wanted to prove to myself that I could do anything I put my mind to. And I wanted to prove to you that the bombers had lost, because I was as strong as I ever was. I felt like I owed everyone that for believing in me.

Recently, though, I’ve decided not to walk. I am going to spend Patriots Day with my family and friends, because right now, that’s the healthiest thing for me. And because, in the end, this city doesn’t need me to prove anything. You prove every day what kind of city you are: The best in the world.

So thank you Boston. Thank you for being there for me. Thank you for kicking ass. Thank you for proving that nothing will ever stop us from being who we are. Like Papi said, this is our city, and I’m proud to be a part of it.

Sincerely,

Jeff Bauman

Vice President Biden Applauds Boston?s Courage - ABC News

“In my career I’ve been part of or witnessed some incredible tributes, but I have to say…I’ve never never never witnessed a tribute like I’ve heard today,” he said. “You are truly, truly inspiring, I’ve never heard anything so beautiful as what all of you just said.”

“I know that no memorial, no words, no acts can fully provide the solace that your hearts and soul still yearn to acquire. But I hope it eases your grief a little bit,” he added.

Biden’s speech followed the stories and testimonies of several survivors of the attacks and people who responded to the injured, as well as musical numbers like Wicked’s “For Good” and Hercules’ “Go the Distance.”

“I want you to know you’re an inspiration, without knowing it, to people all across this country who suffered tragedies and are going through tragedy,” Biden said. “The fact that you’re here, I promise you, gives them hope that maybe, maybe they can overcome what they’re going through right now.”

For those who constantly tear our country down, I say this is the real America.

For all of our internal conflict, we are still the strongest country on the planet and, to those who say Russia or N Korea are better, you're wrong. You have the right to be wrong though.

You also have the right to go live where you say is better.

who the hell says russia or NK is better?

in a such a good thread you can't help smear someone or my hunch is republicans. you just can't help yourself.

Um...so those that prefer Putin don't mind being publicly whipped for singing a protest song...or having KGB style thugs come at night to beat them for criticizing the government (my grandpa was beaten to death for just that...and it still happens)...and having all ur elections pre-determined by Putin and his minions? (I guess u right wingers won't mind the latter....since it already happens in the mid-terms thru BIG MONEY) ...
U think Obama is a "dictator"?
U have no idea...

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Last edited:
How does this guy feel about the outpouring of sympathy liberals gave and are giving the bombers. They made a rock star cover boy out of the surviving bomber.

Regarding Boston...I love that town . I went to college and grad school there and stayed for 14 years...
It really embodies the true spirit of America, which embodies tolerance of human differences, inclusiveness, courage, innovation, freedom with responsibility, compassion, cultural diversity, a lively intelligence and true grit...As shown in response to the Boston Marathon tragedy...
..and towards me as a scared 18 year old from a poor immigrant family, striking off on her own...and succeeding not only thru my own efforts, but bolstered by the spirit of that wonderful city and its people.
OLE' BOSTON!!!

How does this guy feel about the outpouring of sympathy liberals gave and are giving the bombers. They made a rock star cover boy out of the surviving bomber.

Ah Katz...I really don't believe that liberals "support" Sarnayev...what he and his bro did was despicable and his freedom is forfeit. What they may be against is the death penalty for that terrorist...and I agree. Killing him would make him a martyr for his heinous cause..and turn him into a recruiting tool for more terrorists....
Keeping him in solitary for the rest of his life...to be studied endlessly by psychologists to learn more about his ilk and how to stop them....would not only be more severe punishment for him ... but would serve our interests more than simply putting him to death.

Regarding Boston...I love that town . I went to college and grad school there and stayed for 14 years...
It really embodies the true spirit of America, which embodies tolerance of human differences, inclusiveness, courage, innovation, freedom with responsibility, compassion, cultural diversity, a lively intelligence and true grit...As shown in response to the Boston Marathon tragedy...
..and towards me as a scared 18 year old from a poor immigrant family, striking off on her own...and succeeding not only thru my own efforts, but bolstered by the spirit of that wonderful city and its people.
OLE' BOSTON!!!

I love Boston too. We visit our son, DIL and grand kids there and thoroughly enjoy the bookstores, museums, restaurants ... MIT and Harvard both have wonderful bookstores and museums.

Our son is a virus researcher, lives in Cambridge and they find the best places to take us when we're there.

They're both marathon runners and that day was terrifying for us.

Um...the Federal Government IS Americans, the last time I checked.
All this "anti-gov" BS is popular I guess...but for me, it's getting tiresome.
Would u rather have Russia's government? Or North Korea's? How about China's?

Um...the Federal Government IS Americans, the last time I checked.
All this "anti-gov" BS is popular I guess...but for me, it's getting tiresome.
Would u rather have Russia's government? Or North Korea's? How about China's?

Apparently, yes.

Check the archives for about a gazillion threads/posts of some rw's idolizing Putin. And, now, they're in love with N. Korea.

Although, I suppose its very possible they believed $arah Palin when she called N. Korea our ally. Dennis Rodman did and the nutters believe that kind of crap.

Yikes...the ignorance of Huckabee, Palin et al is truly appalling...and scary

Yikes...the ignorance of Huckabee, Palin et al is truly appalling...and scary

And Matthews, Schultz, Sharpton. Yikes.

Geez...I Dunno...U don't hear any of them saying that they prefer the deadly oppressive regime of N. Korea to our government...or admire that hegemonic egomaniac Putin over our own prez...or claim to see Russia from their front porch...

Forum List

Back