This has got to be the last one for a long while

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
Always wanted a GI model 1911 in .45 caliber....... My local gun store had a used one, Rock Island Armory 1911 A1 GI version. Came with two Wilson Combat magazines, excellent bore and no obvious holster wear. The wood grips are a little beat up but they're easy to refinish.

RIA 1911 GI Model.jpg

Always wanted a GI model 1911 in .45 caliber....... My local gun store had a used one, Rock Island Armory 1911 A1 GI version. Came with two Wilson Combat magazines, excellent bore and no obvious holster wear. The wood grips are a little beat up but they're easy to refinish.

View attachment 611203

Nice one! The Wilson Combat mags are very good. I haven't bought a 1911 in years now. i have 7 or 8, I can never keep track now. Getting old sucks!

View attachment 611203

Sweet!!

The Wilson Combat mags are the best. I have a Springfield M1911. Wilson Combat mags are all I use.

View attachment 611203
Looks like a full size. In my experience thats the only way to go!

Looks like a full size. In my experience thats the only way to go!
It's a full size almost exact copy of the WWII 1911s. RIA 1911s are very highly rated, great quality for an excellent price. A brand new basic model like I bought is only $35 - 55 more but with the extras I got with this barely used one I still made out like a bandit.

I have a Combat Commander too. A very good carry pistol.
Yes they are. My experience was with a compact Rock Island that would not run right no matter what! Then a Kimber commander sized 1911 that you couldn't shoot one mag without a failure to feed. Sent it back to Kimber and it came back the same way. Thank goodness it was a friends and not mine. Also the older commander sized pistols had one recoil spring and the new ones have two little ones. I almost forgot about the Colt Defender that I had to change the recoil spings every 500 rounds.

Last edited:
Yes they are. My experience was with a compact Rock Island that would not run right no matter what! Then Kimber commander sized 1911 that you couldn't shoot one mag without a failure to feed. Sent it back to Kimber and it came back the same way. Thank goodness it was a friends and not mine.
You aren't the only one who has the same issues with their Kimbers, I've seen enough vids where people have these feed problems. As much as that costs you should be able to bury it loaded for a couple of years, dig it up and have it fire flawlessly......... I used to want to have a Kimber 1911, after doing my research decided I wasn't interested, not those kind of headaches for that kind of money.........

You aren't the only one who has the same issues with their Kimbers, I've seen enough vids where people have these feed problems. As much as that costs you should be able to bury it loaded for a couple of years, dig it up and have it fire flawlessly......... I used to want to have a Kimber 1911, after doing my research decided I wasn't interested, not those kind of headaches for that kind of money.........
I have two 1911's now, a Springfield Armory full size and a Desert Eagle full size. The DE has the best out of the box trigger of any sub 1000 dollar pistol I have seen. It's also the most accurate. I prefer it over the SA but either will do.

Yeah, I don't do Kimber. Overpriced and unreliable is not a winning combo.

I have two 1911's now, a Springfield Armory full size and a Desert Eagle full size. The DE has the best out of the box trigger of any sub 1000 dollar pistol I have seen. It's also the most accurate. I prefer it over the SA but either will do.

All of mine are Colts. The oldest I have was made in 1912. The newest is the Combat Commander from 1997.

I replaced the trigger on my Springfield MilSpec with a Wilson Combat trigger. Now it has a better trigger than some of my hunting rifles.

It is amazing how much difference the thinner pistol makes in carrying concealed.

The Commander isn't thinner, it is shorter overall. They shave three quarters of an inch off of the slide and barrel, but everything else is the same.

I'm contemplating replacing the grip safety with a Wilson Combat enhanced beaver tail grip safety, it has a nub that makes it better than the relatively flat stock safety. I'll see after I get a chance to take it to the range.
A rubber band is cheaper...

A rubber band is cheaper...
Even better is I have some of that adhesive felt pad usually used for furniture feet, cut a small square and put it on the grip safety. Doesn't look great but gets the job done, it will do for now.

Forum List

Back