Need Some Advice With Laminate Floor Project

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
I've started laying down laminate flooring in the guest bedroom and have a couple of questions. One, you have to leave about 3/8" of space between the flooring and the wall due to expansion. No problem around the perimeter of the room because the baseboard will cover that, but I have this stupid closet with the sliding doors in that corridor that goes to the guest bathroom. I'm wondering how to cover up the spacing since there obviously won't be any baseboard there.

IMG_6348.JPG

Second question, I had to cut the bottom of the door frame to get the floor board in, but I cut it a bit too high. Ultimately, I'll have to calk the entire perimeter of the room with a sealant, but any thoughts on how to fill in that gap a little more so it's not glaringly noticeable?

IMG_6349.JPG

I've started laying down laminate flooring in the guest bedroom and have a couple of questions. One, you have to leave about 3/8" of space between the flooring and the wall due to expansion. No problem around the perimeter of the room because the baseboard will cover that, but I have this stupid closet with the sliding doors in that corridor that goes to the guest bathroom. I'm wondering how to cover up the spacing since there obviously won't be any baseboard there.

View attachment 611352

Second question, I had to cut the bottom of the door frame to get the floor board in, but I cut it a bit too high. Ultimately, I'll have to calk the entire perimeter of the room with a sealant, but any thoughts on how to fill in that gap a little more so it's not glaringly noticeable?

View attachment 611353
They make transition strips to go between different flooring levels. I would put one in front of the closet door, just as close to the door as possible without rubbing. That's what I did, and it's not noticeable.

A transition strip seems the winner. Alternatively, you'd need to trim or cut out a half inch or so of whatever that is under the closet door frame to slide the flooring edge under, which looks to be a real pain in the butt.

In the second case, I'd just cut some scrap to fit, glue it in and paint it to match after installing the flooring. That or don't worry about it. Not really that big a deal.

Forum List

Back