This guy who wants to escape Christianity, what does he see as the end game for him?

Blackrook

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2014
Those who "escape" Christianity and abandon living a life imitating Christ have only one possible destination, and that's hell.

There are all kinds of arguments that the "ignorant pagan" who never heard of Christ might spared if he lived a life of good deeds, but there is no hope for the Christian who abandons the faith.

I would say to such a Christian, you are having a period of "dryness." If you read the lives of the saints, you will see that many of them experienced periods of "dryness" when they found no solace in prayer and everything seemed hopeless.

One saint said to God one day: "If this is how you treat your friends, it's no wonder you have so few of them."

I hate to throw hell at you, I know you're going through a difficult process of spiritual discernment, but maybe your problem isn't with Christianity, only the particular people who associate with?

I bet hell's actually awesome
I didn't have enough sleep a few nights ago and I had a nightmare that seemed pretty hellish to me.

I was lying in bed with a powerful force being pushed down on my chest while screaming creatures I could barely see as if through a veil pulled at me, trying to drag me down.

When I woke, I realized it was a nightmare but I will never forget the experience.

Anyway, the Old Testament never mentions hell.

The Apostles never mention hell anywhere in their writings.

The only person in the Bible who talked about hell was Jesus, and he talked about it constantly.

Those who "escape" Christianity and abandon living a life imitating Christ have only one possible destination, and that's hell.

There are all kinds of arguments that the "ignorant pagan" who never heard of Christ might spared if he lived a life of good deeds, but there is no hope for the Christian who abandons the faith.

I would say to such a Christian, you are having a period of "dryness." If you read the lives of the saints, you will see that many of them experienced periods of "dryness" when they found no solace in prayer and everything seemed hopeless.

One saint said to God one day: "If this is how you treat your friends, it's no wonder you have so few of them."

I heard something on the radio today that said doubt is normal for Christian's and it should be discussed.

Anyway, the Old Testament never mentions hell.
The Apostles never mention hell anywhere in their writings.
Yes it does.

Perhaps you should read an unaltered version of the KJV where Hell is mentioned over thirty times in the Old Testament before making that claim; and by Paul too which you can verify for yourself in the link provided.

"hell"
occurs 54 times in 54 verses in the KJV.
Page 1 / 2 exact matches (Deu 32:22–2Pe 2:4)

Genesis 1:1 (KJV)
  1. sheol, underworld, grave, hell, pit
    1. the underworld

2. Sheol - the OT designation for the abode of the dead
      1. place of no return

2. without praise of God

3. wicked sent there for punishment

4. righteous not abandoned to it

5. of the place of exile (fig)

6. of extreme degradation in sin

I heard something on the radio today that said doubt is normal for Christian's and it should be discussed.
I think there is a lot of doubt out there and I believe it is probably worth discussing.

What awaits him? A mind free from being addled by archaic myths. A self awareness of morality and ethics that comes from reason and evidence, instead of pretending to be a mental slave to authoritative, magical nonsense. A realization that the time spent here is the only thing that is important, instead of being a placeholder for a fake afterlife. Liberation from a mental dictatorship. Oh, but wait, there's more....

Sheol or Gehenna (hell) actually denoted the constantly smoldering garbage dump outside of Jerusalem.

'There is that familiar saying from the bible, "Spare the rod and spoil the child (or, as it actually says in Proverbs 23:13-14: "Do not withhold discipline from your children; if you beat them with the rod they shall not die. If you beat them with the rod, you will save their lives from Sheol" -- or, in the more classical English version: "Withhold not correction from the child, for if thou beatest him with the rod he shall not die. Thou shall beat him with the rod and shalt deliver his soul from hell").'
(Avakian, Away With All Gods, p. 132)

was this before or after Their 'day' ?

I do have to admit that being in another's home, as a gift, would be a bit intimidating..

Forum List

Back