This 65-year-old clerk was fired for refusing to sell cigarettes to a food stamp cust

Nope, she was fired, according to the Boston Herald.

Nope, she quit, according to her own words.

“I said I would bow out gracefully and give my notice because I didn’t want to be a part of it. I’m 65 years old, you know?” she said.
The store has a different story:

“He was very capable of working,” Jackie said, “so I told him to get a J-O-B.”

A few minutes later, she was fired. A spokesman for the 78-store chain said yesterday: “Company policy is to follow rules and regulations, and the sale of cigarettes to EBT card-holders is legal. She didn’t wish to follow company policy, so she was let go after four years.”​
Firing squad ends clerk’s EBT stand - BostonHerald.com

I happen to agree that people who don't have money to eat shouldn't be buying cigs, or far worse, in my opinion, tatoos.

But, this is still the United States and although the Rs want to take many personal rights away from us, they haven't succeeded to the extent they want to.

Just like despising the garbage spewed by trash like Westboro, lushbo, KKK, fux and other SCUM, I will defend their right to spew garbage.

If you love freedom, you will want ALL people to have the SAME freedoms. Even when you disagree with them.

If the cig buyer was found to be eligible for funds, its his business how he spends that money.

OTOH, if you don't think he should have that freedom, then get into the wagon with the R. They would love to take ALL freedoms away from ALL people - except those they happen to agree with.

And that is the Problem with Welfare. So many people get it, then use the Money they do have on Wasteful shit, and the Welfare to Buy food and Pay rent Ect.

Up here IN Michigan they recently announced that some EBT care users will now be able to use their Cards at KFC, I mean Fucking KFC perhaps the most expensive fast food joint there is. You still can not walk into a Grocery Store and buy and Prepared food with it, But you can buy over Priced Prepared Food at KFC with it now.

This is why I always say, It's really easy to be a Liberal and just say yeah we should help people when ever we can. It's much harder to be a realist and recognize that many of the People we help, are abusing that help, and many of our Programs are simply set up fucking Stupid. Like being able to use EBT to buy Fast food.

I don't know about you but I can get a couple days worth of Food for my Family at a Grocery store for the Cost of 1 Trip to KFC, should Welfare really be used that way? and that is just one small example of the Waste, abuse, and stupidity rampant in nearly every government Welfare/Aid Program of any kind. When ever people can take advantage and Abuse it there will.

I mean how many of you can say you have never met, or known of, someone living on welfare, who was say abusing Drugs, or a single woman with a man paying her bills that she conveniently does not tell the state about? I mean there are so many Ways to Abuse the system, That is why I am so slow to support any new Programs, we can't even stop the ones we have from being abused and Raped by theft.

For Gods sake it is actually wrote into the MC law that all Claims be paid Promptly, and any Review of claims be after the Fact. So MC can not even hold back paying a claim if they know, or are pretty sure it's fraudulent, they have to pay with in 30 days and then go after the person after the Fact.

Government frankly is often just so fucking STUPID!!
I'll tell you what.....good rant....great fucking rant, in fact. I'm with you 100% on your thoughts on the subject.....except for one thing that I'm probably not.....what to do about it.
I think that we, as citizens should demand accountability from folks on welfare....and accountability on those that run the welfare system. I don't want to see assistance blown up...just more accountable to the taxpayer. If they need it, they can have it...just don't play us for a fool. Furthermore...I've said it before....I'd like to see a revamped version of the WPA AND CCC started up. Roosevelt did the right thing back then with those programs. But, as long as I'm alive, I'll never vote to let a poor person starve, or an old person either.

Howie Carr isn't rational.

Non Eligible Food Stamp Household Food items
- Beer, wine, liquor
- Food that will be eaten in the store
- Cigarettes or tobacco
- Hot foods

New Hampshire Food Stamps Food List - What You Can Buy With Food Stamps In New Hampshire
I linked to it earlier. There IS another EBT card for cash in NH. It's from their state DHS.

I doubt they are lying.

Ok, I am unclear. From following links I found:

State Supplemental cash assistance supports elderly adults, individuals that are physically disabled, mentally disabled or legally blind. Eligibility and benefit amounts for the State Supplement Programs depend on the individual and spouse's income, resources and on living arrangement. Services are provided for eligible individuals through the following programs

I can't get very outraged.

I like how it says Elderly, I had a guy working for me, who I have since had to fire for Reasons unrelated to this story. He was living with and got a Girl Pregnant, who was only 26 and Receiving not only Food Stamps but 600 Dollars ever 2 weeks Direct Cash Assistance from the State of Michigan. She continued to collect this for at least 10 Months that I know of while the Guy who worked for me, Made 700 Dollars a week plus, and lived with here supporting her the entire time. They did it until the Kid was Born and Friend of the Court got involved. Then she simply said she and her Babies Father had just got back together and he was now living with her, so they would not go after him for Child Support.

At least 12000 Dollars she collected in Aid given to her based on her having 0 Income, and no one supporting her and her kinds from a previous Relationship, when she in fact was being supported by her new Baby Daddy. I mean they even purposely held of on getting married until after the kid was Born, In order to continue to Scam the Welfare system.

The worst thing, This dude didn't feel bad about it at all, His attitude was that all he was doing was Ripping off the Asshole Government. Just could not get it through his head, that he was ripping off the Tax payers of a country Drowning in Debt. His sense of Entitlement was to strong, he is just one of those guys that thinks everyone owes him something, and nothing is ever his Fault. The Dude once got Pulled over for DUI and spent hours explaining to me how the Cops just had it out for him. I said, No they don't have it out for you, they know you. He had priors, it's only natural if a cop sees you at 2am and runs you plate and finds you have had a DUI, that he is going to Watch you closer than someone who comes back clean.

Guys never got it.

P.S. turned out he didn't just steam from the Big Bad Government, He was let go for with out asking, using some Display Windows we have as Collateral for a Loan at a Pawn Shop, then not paying the Loan Back and losing the windows.

I linked to it earlier. There IS another EBT card for cash in NH. It's from their state DHS.

I doubt they are lying.

State Supplemental cash assistance supports elderly adults, individuals that are physically disabled, mentally disabled or legally blind. Eligibility and benefit amounts for the State Supplement Programs depend on the individual and spouse's income, resources and on living arrangement. Services are provided for eligible individuals through the following programs

I like how it says Elderly, I had a guy working for me, who I have since had to fire for Reasons unrelated to this story. He was living with and got a Girl Pregnant, who was only 26 and Receiving not only Food Stamps but 600 Dollars ever 2 weeks Direct Cash Assistance from the State of Michigan. She continued to collect this for at least 10 Months that I know of while the Guy who worked for me, Made 700 Dollars a week plus, and lived with here supporting her the entire time. They did it until the Kid was Born and Friend of the Court got involved. Then she simply said she and her Babies Father had just got back together and he was now living with her, so they would not go after him for Child Support.

At least 12000 Dollars she collected in Aid given to her based on her having 0 Income, and no one supporting her and her kinds from a previous Relationship, when she in fact was being supported by her new Baby Daddy. I mean they even purposely held of on getting married until after the kid was Born, In order to continue to Scam the Welfare system.

The worst thing, This dude didn't feel bad about it at all, His attitude was that all he was doing was Ripping off the Asshole Government. Just could not get it through his head, that he was ripping off the Tax payers of a country Drowning in Debt. His sense of Entitlement was to strong, he is just one of those guys that thinks everyone owes him something, and nothing is ever his Fault. The Dude once got Pulled over for DUI and spent hours explaining to me how the Cops just had it out for him. I said, No they don't have it out for you, they know you. He had priors, it's only natural if a cop sees you at 2am and runs you plate and finds you have had a DUI, that he is going to Watch you closer than someone who comes back clean.

Guys never got it.

P.S. turned out he didn't just steam from the Big Bad Government, He was let go for with out asking, using some Display Windows we have as Collateral for a Loan at a Pawn Shop, then not paying the Loan Back and losing the windows.
:cuckoo: burp

If the cig buyer was found to be eligible for funds, its his business how he spends that money.

OTOH, if you don't think he should have that freedom, then get into the wagon with the R. They would love to take ALL freedoms away from ALL people - except those they happen to agree with.

It isn't about 'freedom', tard. Free to the freeloaders, perhaps.

It is about others being forced to work and pay taxes to feed you.

Food Stamps should be limited to perhaps 20-30 grocery items and distributed from the back of a gubmint truck.
Right on!!!! If you want real food and real stuff, get a real job, fucking freeloaders

It isn't about 'freedom', tard. Free to the freeloaders, perhaps.

It is about others being forced to work and pay taxes to feed you.

Food Stamps should be limited to perhaps 20-30 grocery items and distributed from the back of a gubmint truck.
Right on!!!! If you want real food and real stuff, get a real job, fucking freeloaders
If that's the way NH has chosen to disperse their funds, it's not really my business. I don't live there.

That's up to the NH voters.

I doubt they are lying.

Guys never got it.

Your post is difficult to understand because you are barely literate. Your "P.S." makes no sense at all and the lack of punctuation and the way you capitalize random words makes me think uber-nutter vampy is back under a new incarnation. Or, were all of you "educated" in Arizona or the south ...

All of that notwithstanding (look it up), the "guys" got it just fine.

If I had underage kids, I would do whatever I had to do to support them.

And, if I were pregnant, with no visible means of support, I would have an abortion.

As usual, the rw's want to control every friggin move we make so she can't have an abortion. The way the R wants it, the tax payer has to support that woman AND her children.

Is there anything dumber than an rw?

Seriously. "You" demand that women have unwanted children even though they can't afford them but then, "you" get pissed if she gets government help.

Lots of laws and lots of control. THAT is what the radical right is all about.

If you want to smoke, smoke. I don't care. It's your body: you own it.

Just get a job and you can buy all the cigarettes you want to. As long as you're depending on welfare, you get the basic essentials for living and cigarettes are not a basic essential.

Just get a job and you can buy all the cigarettes you want to. As long as you're depending on welfare, you get the basic essentials for living and cigarettes are not a basic essential.

So says you. The LAW says different. I've been told from CONservatives left and right that America is a country of laws. If you don't like the law, change it. But don't sit at your desk and try to make your opinion(even though I tend to agree with you) reality.

i am in nc....i dont think you can buy non food items with food stamps

or ebt cards

you mean the rightwingnut blogosphere .... lied?

i'm shocked.

but even if true, she works for someone... they tell her what to do. if she can't do what is legally asked of her, she needs to be fired.

Wow I think you missed the point, but that happens to you liberals alot. You probably hate the chick for not bowing to the govt. She still refuses to do that and she should be held in high esteem.
I dont give a shit what you liberals say, it's not about helping the poor, this is just more proof of that. It's just about getting people reliant on the government.
I mean liberals want smoking banned from everywhere, but EBT cards? Uh Id rather we dont pay for smokes and allow smokers to go to a restaurant and be able to smoke, if the restaurant allows them

So says you. The LAW says different. I've been told from CONservatives left and right that America is a country of laws. If you don't like the law, change it. But don't sit at your desk and try to make your opinion(even though I tend to agree with you) reality.

The question is why was this allowed in the first place? And smartass, do you like the law? Let's hear your thoughts. Should people be able to buy dildos on their ebt cards as well? And then people like you complain how hard these people have it and how they cant get ahead, it's because they're stupid and waste their money, DUH!

I didn't think you were allowed to buy tobacco with food stamps. Only food.

So you just hee-hawed at the OP and didn't even investigate.

Here is the NH Sentinel Source about it, which was linked in the OP article.

Cigarettes are heavily taxed. Should those in our military be banned from using tobacco? It is paid for with 'tax dollars'.

See if you can put your brain to work and figure out the difference between a soldier in combat and an unemployed able-bodied man.

And military cigarettes are not paid for by your taxes. In fact, stateside troops pay the same price you do. Our combat troops don't have to pay the taxes on cigarettes, but they still have to purchase them with their own money, not yours.

So our troops cigarettes aren't costing you a dime.

But the slacker in NH? The taxpayers are paying for his smokes, lottery tickets, and booze.

The willingness of liberals in this topic to find ways to excuse the taxpayers being ripped off to pay for booze and lottery tickets for able-bodied people is just an amazing thing to see.

Many of those receiving food stamps ARE employed, some are in the military. Think about this, before your knees JERK.

Some of my own troops were on food stamps, so I am well awaye of that, fool.

This does not take away from the fact there are slackers using tax dollars to buy their smokes, lottery tickets, and booze.

Food stamps should be for the necessities of life.

The military's money is paid from our tax dollars. After all, public sector employees are ticks on the ass of society, right? That's what I've been told by righties.

You know what I hear?

I hear lefties wanting to spend our tax dollars on smokes and booze for slackers. And then when the slackers get lung cancer or cirrhosis, I hear them demanding our tax dollars to give them free medical care.

The question is why was this allowed in the first place? And smartass, do you like the law? Let's hear your thoughts. Should people be able to buy dildos on their ebt cards as well? And then people like you complain how hard these people have it and how they cant get ahead, it's because they're stupid and waste their money, DUH!

Hey fuckface.....read the rest of my posts on this thread...I'm on your side on this. I just disagree with people turning opinion into fact.I get it..... a liberal can show all kinds of data and stats that show how trickle down is a shitty economic system....and you scream COMMI, but you fuckers can post your OPINION and everyone is supposed to bow down to your "special" brand of American Exceptionalism....which is nothing more than a loud fucking mouth and a bully mentality? I'll pass, dipshit.

The military's money is paid from our tax dollars. After all, public sector employees are ticks on the ass of society, right? That's what I've been told by righties.

You know what I hear?

I hear lefties wanting to spend our tax dollars on smokes and booze for slackers. And then when the slackers get lung cancer or cirrhosis, I hear them demanding our tax dollars to give them free medical care.

You know what I hear? Read my last post and apply it to yourself.

can you fire a bar keep for not selling to minors....i dont get the difference....

huh? By law the customer is allowed to purchase tobaco with food stamps. The clerk might not like it, but he or she, has a job to do. I have no problem with that person's boss deciding that's grounds for firing. It does seem harsh to fire a 65 year old, but it's not my decision.

I didn't think you were allowed to buy tobacco with food stamps. Only food.

Most EBT cards can carry both, and you are supposed to decide on the menu where the money is being used from.

One can use it for cash or one can use it for food. If the customer had EBT cash card then he can buy whatever he likes. If it was the EBT food card then no he couldnt buy them.

That being said refusing to serve the customer because of your own personal politics is a bad idea and being fired for it is fine.

can you fire a bar keep for not selling to minors....i dont get the difference....

huh? By law the customer is allowed to purchase tobaco with food stamps. The clerk might not like it, but he or she, has a job to do. I have no problem with that person's boss deciding that's grounds for firing. It does seem harsh to fire a 65 year old, but it's not my decision.

I agree with your point but, the clerk made the decision and she certainly has that right.

no she doesn't have that right. She has the right to follow the law and that's all. Unless the law or store Policy ( which would follow said laws) says She doesnt have to sell what she doesnt want to people then she should have been fired for not upholding company policy.

Forum List

Back