This 65-year-old clerk was fired for refusing to sell cigarettes to a food stamp cust

I happen to agree that people who don't have money to eat shouldn't be buying cigs, or far worse, in my opinion, tatoos.

But, this is still the United States and although the Rs want to take many personal rights away from us, they haven't succeeded to the extent they want to.

Just like despising the garbage spewed by trash like Westboro, lushbo, KKK, fux and other SCUM, I will defend their right to spew garbage.

If you love freedom, you will want ALL people to have the SAME freedoms. Even when you disagree with them.

If the cig buyer was found to be eligible for funds, its his business how he spends that money.

OTOH, if you don't think he should have that freedom, then get into the wagon with the R. They would love to take ALL freedoms away from ALL people - except those they happen to agree with.

food stamps aren't money. Are you suggesting people should be able to buy whatever they want with food stamps?

In that state, there are two kinds of stamps - one for food and the other for such things as cigarettes.

Nobody shouold be allowed to buy RECREATIONAL drugs ( cigaretes ) on my tax money
nobody no exceptions

Then, change the law.

Or, vote for the pubs and bags cuz they want to take most rights and freedoms away from all Americans.

oh neat, The Blaze :rolleyes:
BTW- Lovebears65 is one of the biggest, con, kool aid drinkers :alcoholic: on this board :up:

Glad to see the clerk should been fired, and I hope she finds work nowhere else. "Do you think......" Had she said "Do you think my tax dollars should go to making your blubber butt fatter?" there would be lots of sympathy for the man trying to pay. Cigarettes are heavily taxed. Should those in our military be banned from using tobacco? It is paid for with 'tax dollars'. I am sick of MY tax money going to fatten the coffers of MULTI national defense corporations, but that has not stopped the giveaways.

Last edited:
oh neat, The Blaze :rolleyes:
BTW- Lovebears65 is one of the biggest, con, kool aid drinkers :alcoholic: on this board :up:

Glad to see the clerk should been fired, and I hope she finds work nowhere else. "Do you think......" Had she said "Do you think my tax dollars should go to making your blubber butt fatter?" there would be lots of sympathy for the man trying to pay. Cigarettes are heavily taxed. Should those in our military be banned from using tobacco? It is paid for with 'tax dollars'. I am sick of MY tax money going to fatten the coffers of MULTI national defense corporations, but that has not stopped the giveaways.

You make a good point. If it had been Twinkies or McDonald's, (a) the woman would have sold both without a second thought and, (b) our tax dollars would go for the guys ER visit for his heart attack.

BUT - it's okay with the rabid rw's for all of us to have to pay for his ER visit.

It sure as hell is NOT okay with them for all of us to have affordable health care and cheaper insurance for small businesses.

Screwy.

Store Clerk Fired For Refusing to Sell Cigarettes to Food Stamp Customer | TheBlaze.com
It’s important to note that there are two types of EBT cards: one is for essential grocery items and the other can be used for pretty much anything. The customer had the latter.
Sorry our tax dollars should not be going for cigs

Hard pressed to find anyone to disagree with that. But I have no problem with the clerk gettibg fired.

Pretty much this. I have worked places where I found their practices morally repugnant. I voluntarily quit because I understood that while I may not agree with the company they are paying me to do my job. If the customer was legally within his rights to buy the cigarettes and the clerk refused to sell them the company had every right to fire him for not doing his job.

Nobody shouold be allowed to buy RECREATIONAL drugs ( cigaretes ) on my tax money
nobody no exceptions

So military personnel may not buy tobacco products? You explain that to them.

Surprised the customer didn't call 911
That has happened when a person was shorted one Chicken McNugget.
Or when someone screwed up an order at Burger King...
And again when some ladies strimps were cold when she checked her takeout order.

can you fire a bar keep for not selling to minors....i dont get the difference....

huh? By law the customer is allowed to purchase tobaco with food stamps. The clerk might not like it, but he or she, has a job to do. I have no problem with that person's boss deciding that's grounds for firing. It does seem harsh to fire a 65 year old, but it's not my decision.

I didn't think you were allowed to buy tobacco with food stamps. Only food.

So you just hee-hawed at the OP and didn't even investigate.

“Charles E. Wilkins, the general manager of the C.N. Brown Co. that runs the stores, said the EBT cards in the cash phase could be used for any items, including alcohol, tobacco and gambling,” the Source reports.

Here is the NH Sentinel Source about it, which was linked in the OP article.

Cigarettes are heavily taxed. Should those in our military be banned from using tobacco? It is paid for with 'tax dollars'.

See if you can put your brain to work and figure out the difference between a soldier in combat and an unemployed able-bodied man.

And military cigarettes are not paid for by your taxes. In fact, stateside troops pay the same price you do. Our combat troops don't have to pay the taxes on cigarettes, but they still have to purchase them with their own money, not yours.

So our troops cigarettes aren't costing you a dime.

But the slacker in NH? The taxpayers are paying for his smokes, lottery tickets, and booze.

The willingness of liberals in this topic to find ways to excuse the taxpayers being ripped off to pay for booze and lottery tickets for able-bodied people is just an amazing thing to see.

Last edited:
can you fire a bar keep for not selling to minors....i dont get the difference....

huh? By law the customer is allowed to purchase tobaco with food stamps. The clerk might not like it, but he or she, has a job to do. I have no problem with that person's boss deciding that's grounds for firing. It does seem harsh to fire a 65 year old, but it's not my decision.

You can only buy food with food stamps, however, many states use the EBT debit card for other benefits as well. Those types of EBT cards are just like any other debit card.

Electronic Benefit Transfer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Many states merged the use of the EBT card for public-assistance welfare programs as well.

The military's money is paid from our tax dollars. After all, public sector employees are ticks on the ass of society, right? That's what I've been told by righties.

Store Clerk Fired For Refusing to Sell Cigarettes to Food Stamp Customer | TheBlaze.com
It’s important to note that there are two types of EBT cards: one is for essential grocery items and the other can be used for pretty much anything. The customer had the latter.

The article is from a crappy source, and it also clearly states the woman QUIT her job and was not fired which means we will save plenty of money because she cannot claim unemployment for quitting.

I do agree with her. Food stamps cannot be used to pay for smokes, and most people are not eligible for further assistance. I think you actually have to have dependents in most states to be given further welfare than just food. I do agree that alcohol, tobacco, and other non-living essentials should not be sold to anyone on public assistance, but that is something to take up with the state governments as they decide what assistance is given, who gets it, and how much they get. The fed does not actually provide much aside from a block grant the state is allowed to decide how it is used. So don't get all huffy with Obama or any congresspeople over that, you have your state government to blame, and this may not apply to all states.

Oh, and get a better source that does not lie and distort facts.

So you just hee-hawed at the OP and didn't even investigate.

“Charles E. Wilkins, the general manager of the C.N. Brown Co. that runs the stores, said the EBT cards in the cash phase could be used for any items, including alcohol, tobacco and gambling,” the Source reports.

Here is the NH Sentinel Source about it, which was linked in the OP article.

Cigarettes are heavily taxed. Should those in our military be banned from using tobacco? It is paid for with 'tax dollars'.

See if you can put your brain to work and figure out the difference between a soldier in combat and an unemployed able-bodied man.

And military cigarettes are not paid for by your taxes. In fact, stateside troops pay the same price you do. Our combat troops don't have to pay the taxes on cigarettes, but they still have to purchase them with their own money, not yours.

So our troops cigarettes aren't costing you a dime.

But the slacker in NH? The taxpayers are paying for his smokes, lottery tickets, and booze.

The willingness of liberals in this topic to find ways to excuse the taxpayers being ripped off to pay for booze and lottery tickets for able-bodied people is just an amazing thing to see.

Many of those receiving food stamps ARE employed, some are in the military. Think about this, before your knees JERK.

The bottom line, if I read the OP correctly...the customer was using the "cash" EBT card for the cigarettes. That puts the customer in the right and the clerk trying to enforce his/her opinion illegally.

I personally am in agreement with the clerk...but, since the law is clear....he/she doesn't have a leg to stand on and his/her employer was fully within their rights to fire her.

The article is from a crappy source, and it also clearly states the woman QUIT her job and was not fired which means we will save plenty of money because she cannot claim unemployment for quitting.

I do agree with her. Food stamps cannot be used to pay for smokes, and most people are not eligible for further assistance. I think you actually have to have dependents in most states to be given further welfare than just food. I do agree that alcohol, tobacco, and other non-living essentials should not be sold to anyone on public assistance, but that is something to take up with the state governments as they decide what assistance is given, who gets it, and how much they get. The fed does not actually provide much aside from a block grant the state is allowed to decide how it is used. So don't get all huffy with Obama or any congresspeople over that, you have your state government to blame, and this may not apply to all states.

She is free to have an opinion, expressing one's personal opinions on the job are grounds to fire with CAUSE, good thing the bitter wretch parted ways with the company. No doubt this isn't the first time she lashed out at customers; it isn't the Clerk's place to question the source of payment, only know the legality thereof. "This looks like counterfeit, I'm not accepting this!" "I won't take quarters, I have too many already!".

The bottom line, if I read the OP correctly...the customer was using the "cash" EBT card for the cigarettes. That puts the customer in the right and the clerk trying to enforce his/her opinion illegally.

I personally am in agreement with the clerk...but, since the law is clear....he/she doesn't have a leg to stand on and his/her employer was fully within their rights to fire her.

This is a story in the usual trash, Blaze and 'abovetopsecret'. Why allow the obese to purchase food period?

Military & tobacco:

According to data published by the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD), the prevalence of past month smoking among all branches of the U.S. military was 30.6 percent in 2008,2 compared to 20.6 percent among adults in the general U.S. population.

http://www.tobaccofreekids.org/research/factsheets/pdf/0369.pdf

Nope, she was fired, according to the Boston Herald.

And, NH happens to have two EBT cards - food stamps on one and simple cash on the other.

Forum List

Back