Think my potato harvest is going to be bonkers.

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
20230714_064513.jpg
20230714_064450.jpg
20230714_064553.jpg
20230714_064526.jpg
20230714_064614.jpg

The potatoes have taken over the entire back half of my garden.
Looks like I'm going to get about 50 Roma tomatoes ripening all at once and my cucumbers are still going gangbusters.

View attachment 804417View attachment 804418View attachment 804419View attachment 804420View attachment 804421
Looks like I'm going to get about 50 Roma tomatoes ripening all at once and my cucumbers are still going gangbusters.

Do you can?

I'm planning on canning all of my garden using a method called "dry canning" -- far easier and more hassle free than the old school ways. I dry canned all of my carrots and green beans last year and have lived on them all winter, and I'm not dead yet, so it's going to be the method I'll rely on from now on for most of my canning.

Do you can?

I'm planning on canning all of my garden using a method called "dry canning" -- far easier and more hassle free than the old school ways. I dry canned all of my carrots and green beans last year and have lived on them all winter, and I'm not dead yet, so it's going to be the method I'll rely on from now on for most of my canning.

I did pickles years ago but I'm trying to consume them nightly for dinner this year. May give a few to customers or neighbors. My cherry tomatoes are giving me a handful every couple days so they're manageable

I live in Florida. The back yard is about 3/4th of an acre with plenty of room for a garden.

I tried growing fruits and veggies. Everything would come up Ok but then the squirrels, raccoons, possums, grove rats and god only knows what else would help themselves to the feast when I wasn't looking. Putting a wire mesh fence around the garden didn't help.

I finally gave up after four years.

I live in Florida. The back yard is about 3/4th of an acre with plenty of room for a garden.

I tried growing fruits and veggies. Everything would come up Ok but then the squirrels, raccoons, possums, grove rats and god only knows what else would help themselves to the feast when I wasn't looking. Putting a wire mesh fence around the garden didn't help.

Squirrels and rabbits decimated me early on. Destroyed several plants. Started sprinkling hot pepper flakes all over and it helped a lot.

I feel sad for anyone who has that many obstacles to growing their own food.

There is no feeling more gratifying to me than looking at my full pantry.

Squirrels and rabbits decimated me early on. Destroyed several plants. Started sprinkling hot pepper flakes all over and it helped a lot.
I tried everything. It didn't work. At best I would get a half of the harvest. The first year hardly anything. I finally decided it wasn't worth the effort.

I'll try the hot pepper! I was thinking I might need to give in and get a pellet gun, except that it's kind of out of the question to hang out on the deck and watch out for bunnies. I'd enjoy eating rabbit and processing bunny pelt for lining a new pair of winter mittens, but I'm just not a devoted enough hunter.

Think my potato harvest is going to be bonkers.​

Nothing beats a good fresh home grown potato.

If you beat them with a rake, they will behave.

Looks like I'm going to get about 50 Roma tomatoes ripening all at once
They must be a determinate variety. That is usual because most people use them for canning and sauces.

and my cucumbers are still going gangbusters.
You can pick 'em young and they are out of this world pickles!

And I just realized I put this in reviews instead of the flame zone.
Will a mod please move it for me.
You'll have to kick one of them in the ass to wake one up. They are all still asleep this time of the morning still sleeping off the bender from last night. :smoke:

Forum List

Back