Think a detail will take this out?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jimnyc, May 31, 2005.

1. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    I just noticed these 'scratches' on my truck while leaving from work today. It could have happened at so many places but I know it wasn't me as I would have remembered rubbing against or hitting something.

This sucks. Between my dog pissing on the carpet (and thus my deposit of $3200) and now this kind of shit on a leased truck.

Anyone care to make donations? :)

Attached Files:

2. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    Those types of scratches come from somebody turning and scraping your bumper when trying to get out of a parking space but cutting it too closely. You will have to just be happy that they too have to repair their vehicle. I don't know if detailers can get that out, how much is it for the bumper?

3. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    Are they scratches? It looks more like the offender left paint on your truck, you may be able to buff them off!

4. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Jim, I'd say anywhere from $200-$600 to get those scratches out.

5. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    This obviously happened after I moved into my new place, which has a 3 story parking garage with tight spaces and tight maneuvering. I always back in as well leaving the nose exposed.

A good detail will run around $175 for my truck (which it needs anyhow) and I'm sure a repair at a body shop will be between $300-500. I'd have to get an estimate to know for sure.

It just burns me up when I lose money over stupid shit like this. I do well enough on my own making it disappear!

6. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    That's about what I was thinking as well.

7. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    Unfortunately, they're definitely scratches, and one portion is fairly deep. The more I think about it the more I know this will be a body shop job. :(

8. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    I just had some work done on similar scratches to my bumper and it cost me $350. Now, I also had a tear in the bumper which had to be fixed. Just fixing the "rub" marks and scratches would have cost $200.

Is this your first lease? I know when I turned in my GMC Denali I had a LOT of little scratches, rubs and even a busted ashtray in the back seat and I brought it in on the last day possible, dropped it off with a salesman (who barely looked over the vehicle) after he signed a slip accepting the vehicle and I hauled ass. I figured if they tried keeping my deposit I would feign ignorance and tell them, "it wasn't like that when I dropped it off. If it were, it would have been annotated on the ruturn slip". Needless to say, I never received a call anyway. I have a lease coming due on the Benz next month and I am a bit more worried about it though. I suspect Mercedes is a bit more strict than GMC was.... but who knows.

Good luck!

9. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    I'm tell'n ya Jimmy, you will be surprised at how well they can fix these plastic/rubber bumpers these days without it becoming a hassle. Look and see if you can find a franchise in your area that specializes in this kind of stuff. There are a lot of them out there these days

10. fuzzykitten99

fuzzykitten99 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
    Ratings:
    +199
    looking at the damage, that's actually more than just scratches. that looks like it went to the primer and maybe even the bumper base. I would look around the garage for someone else who has damage on their vehicle before you move ahead to pay for it out of your pocket. if you find a vehicle in your parking garage with marks similar to yours, get the plate # and take it to the main office if you have one. They can identify the person, and then you should contact your insurance co and make a claim, and they will find out which insurance the other guy has to subrogate.

this may sound like a lot of work for something that could cost less than $500, but a 'hit and run' charge will cost the culprit even more.

my co-worker's car got hit in our parking lot (she is an insurance adjuster no less), and the guy who hit it, didn't leave any info. 6 of us walked around the parking ramp the next day looking for a teal car with white rub marks and dents...low and behold-the retard came to work the next day and parked on the bottom level(our ramp is only 2 levels), way far in a corner with the damage facing the wall, probably thinking no one would take the time to look for his car.

the guy got a citation for a hit and run, as well as expired tabs! he caused about $1000 damage.