Things I Have Learned About Gun Control

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
dilbert_character_top-89a98cb02f28bb33abaea4fd2068728c.png

One really doesn't express deep personal opinions from a cartoonist. This essay is lengthy but contains many salient points. I am a firm believer in the 2nd Amendment as allowing all to own guns. But I also believe there are some who are unfit and should not be allowed to have them. The biggest problem to me is how to fairly identify them.

Chicago has strict gun control and yet it has high gun violence. But that doesn’t tell you gun control doesn’t work. It might tell you Chicago is a blue (liberal) city with a gun violence problem. But that’s all it tells you. We can’t know if Chicago would have even greater problems without the existing gun laws.

Gun ownership is a safeguard against the government turning on citizens. While the professional military will always have overwhelming firepower compared to citizens, private guns would instantly be turned on the unprotected assets and family members of anyone involved in a coup attempt. That’s a safeguard.

There's much more to it but these are good points. More @ Things I Have Learned About Gun Control - Dilbert Blog

gun-control-argument.jpg

The problem in Chicago.....they do not lock up violent gun criminals.....the gangs have control of too many alderman who vote to protect the gangs interests......that is why they keep getting their killers out of jail....

This is why Chicago has gun crime......not because normal, law abiding people own guns...

democrats do not care about criminals with guns.....they keep letting them out of jail....they need the gun crime rates high to push gun control...

Alleged killer of Chicago police commander was on the streets due to unusually light sentence for major parole violations

Chicago Police commander Paul Bauer was savagely executed, “shot six times in the head, neck, torso, back and wrist.” No fewer than “three civilian witnesses identified Shomari Legghette in a police lineup as the man who struggled with Bauer at the top of a stairwell outside the Thompson Center in the Loop moments before his death” less than a month ago.

Now it turns out that Legghette should have been in prison on any rational basis, but wasn’t because Chicago’s justice system is “a joke” in the eyes of criminals -- in the words of Chicago’s police superintendent.

Greg Re of the Chicago Sun-Times describes how it is that Legghette was free to do what he wished in the streets of Chicago:

The suspect who allegedly gunned down Chicago police Commander Paul Bauer near City Hall earlier this month received an unusually light sentence for major parole violations in 2007, court records show.
-------

The documents, reviewed by the Chicago Sun-Times, reveal that Bauer's accused killer, Shomari Legghette, dodged up to 30 years in prison when he was booked for the violations that year.

At the time of his 2007 sentencing, Legghette was on parole following an armed robbery conviction that landed him a 16-year sentence, and prison time from 1998 to 2005.

Records show that police found Legghette in the South Side in 2007 with $1,800 in cash, body armor, a chrome revolver, and a baggie of heroin, the Sun-Times reported.

Evidently, this was not regarded as THAT serious:

But instead of pursuing felony charges for those parole violations, records show, prosecutors opted to send Legghette to prison for only a few weeks after he pled guilty to a lesser charge of possessing a weapon with a defaced serial number.

Forum List

Back