They Tell Black Guy To Take His Flag Down?

Black College Student Wins Fight to Display Confederate Flag in Dorm Room
Dec. 2, 2011 10:59am Madeleine Morgenstern

A black college student has won the fight to keep a Confederate flag in his dorm room after school officials initially told him to take it down.

Byron-Thomas.jpg

Byron Thomas, a 19-year-old freshman at the University of South Carolina Beaufort, will be allowed to display a Confederate flag in his dorm room after his school first told him to take it down. (Image source: Beaufort Gazette)

The University of South Carolina Beaufort told 19-year-old Byron Thomas on Thursday he could keep the flag up, after the freshman was told two weeks ago to remove it because of student complaints.

University spokeswoman Candace Brasseur told theBeaufort Gazette that Thomas was initially asked to remove the flag because it violates a student code of conduct discouraging bigotry, but the school’s legal counsel ultimately advised the university to allow him to display the flag.

When he was first told in November to take the flag down, Thomas posted a four-minute video on YouTube saying he views the Confederate flag as a sign of Southern pride, not of racism, and was not going to remove it. The video was re-posted on CNN’s iReport, where it has been viewed more than 70,000 times.

“It’s not racist for me,” Thomas, a Georgia native, said in the video. “All it is is a symbol that I see as a sign of respect, and people don’t want to see it that way.”

Before the school relented, Thomas said he felt his First Amendment rights were being violated, and said he considered legal action if he was not allowed to display the flag.

A class project made him come to the realization that the flag’s real meaning has been hijacked, he told the Associated Press in an interview. He said he wants people to carefully consider issues of race and not just have knee-jerk reactions to symbols.

“When I look at this flag, I don’t see racism. I see respect, Southern pride,” he told the AP. “This flag was seen as a communication symbol” during the Civil War.

Thomas said he also dislikes the term “African American” because it makes him feel like a half-citizen.

“I was not born in Africa, I was born in Augusta, Georgia,” he said in the video.

Thomas said he’s received a huge outpouring of support since the ordeal began.

“I’ve been getting a lot of support from people. My generation is interested in freedom of speech,” Thomas said.

He said he talked to his parents — who grew up amid the Civil Rights movement — once the uproar started and said they weren’t happy about his decision to display it, though that probably won’t keep him from putting it up again.

“I don’t want to make my parents mad,” he said. “I may wait until Monday to put it up.”

Black College Student Wins Fight to Display Confederate Flag in Dorm Room Video TheBlaze.com

"GTP"
View attachment 42994
Thats old news. That there is a future Uncle Ruckus who is illiterate beyond his years.

A liberal refers to a black college student as "Uncle Ruckus and illiterate beyond his years". A conservative refers to a black man trashing Baltimore as a thug based on his behavior that the whole world can see. The Conservative is called a racist.
Yup. All they got is ad hom.
How very ...... Liberal

I think he should be able to fly the flag in his dorm room if he wants. I remember saying the exact same thing when this story occurred 4 years ago.

And you're an intolerant piece of shit that tries to project it's intolerance on other people.
Intolerance in the face of racism is a virtue.

So the black guy is racist, is that what you're saying?
Didnt you read my post carefully? I said he was illiterate.

assuming the black kid is illiterate when he's in college.
He got accepted into college just like Obama 'allegedly' did (although we've never seen his grades or transcripts).

Obama-book-Breitbart1.jpg

Off topic

Citing a 2011 story...nice. You've got to admire the ignorant desperation of the right wing to cling to any symbol of hate they can find.

Black College Student Wins Fight to Display Confederate Flag in Dorm Room
Dec. 2, 2011 10:59am Madeleine Morgenstern

A black college student has won the fight to keep a Confederate flag in his dorm room after school officials initially told him to take it down.

Byron-Thomas.jpg

Byron Thomas, a 19-year-old freshman at the University of South Carolina Beaufort, will be allowed to display a Confederate flag in his dorm room after his school first told him to take it down. (Image source: Beaufort Gazette)

The University of South Carolina Beaufort told 19-year-old Byron Thomas on Thursday he could keep the flag up, after the freshman was told two weeks ago to remove it because of student complaints.

University spokeswoman Candace Brasseur told theBeaufort Gazette that Thomas was initially asked to remove the flag because it violates a student code of conduct discouraging bigotry, but the school’s legal counsel ultimately advised the university to allow him to display the flag.

When he was first told in November to take the flag down, Thomas posted a four-minute video on YouTube saying he views the Confederate flag as a sign of Southern pride, not of racism, and was not going to remove it. The video was re-posted on CNN’s iReport, where it has been viewed more than 70,000 times.

“It’s not racist for me,” Thomas, a Georgia native, said in the video. “All it is is a symbol that I see as a sign of respect, and people don’t want to see it that way.”

Before the school relented, Thomas said he felt his First Amendment rights were being violated, and said he considered legal action if he was not allowed to display the flag.

A class project made him come to the realization that the flag’s real meaning has been hijacked, he told the Associated Press in an interview. He said he wants people to carefully consider issues of race and not just have knee-jerk reactions to symbols.

“When I look at this flag, I don’t see racism. I see respect, Southern pride,” he told the AP. “This flag was seen as a communication symbol” during the Civil War.

Thomas said he also dislikes the term “African American” because it makes him feel like a half-citizen.

“I was not born in Africa, I was born in Augusta, Georgia,” he said in the video.

Thomas said he’s received a huge outpouring of support since the ordeal began.

“I’ve been getting a lot of support from people. My generation is interested in freedom of speech,” Thomas said.

He said he talked to his parents — who grew up amid the Civil Rights movement — once the uproar started and said they weren’t happy about his decision to display it, though that probably won’t keep him from putting it up again.

“I don’t want to make my parents mad,” he said. “I may wait until Monday to put it up.”

Black College Student Wins Fight to Display Confederate Flag in Dorm Room Video TheBlaze.com

"GTP"
View attachment 42994
Thats old news. That there is a future Uncle Ruckus who is illiterate beyond his years.
Says the illiterate racist......... :lmao:

Is this kid flying his personal flag on government property at the taxpayers expense? Was his flag raised over the state capitol to protest desegregation?

Didn't bother to read the link, did ya?

Don't understand sarcasm do ya? Don't understand the difference between public and private property do ya?

I'm sorry I thought the dorms at USC are public property, subsidized by tax payers. But his reasoning wasn't to protest desegregation, it is to honor his southern heritage, just like the majority of others who fly it.

Is this kid flying his personal flag on government property at the taxpayers expense? Was his flag raised over the state capitol to protest desegregation?

Don't understand sarcasm do ya? Don't understand the difference between public and private property do ya?

I'm sorry I thought the dorms at USC are public property, subsidized by tax payers. But his reasoning wasn't to protest desegregation, it is to honor his southern heritage, just like the majority of others who fly it.

Different issue, different rules. Nice try though!

The Nazi flag is German heritage...you don't see it flying over their government buildings.

The Nazi flag is German heritage...you don't see it flying over their government buildings.

The confederate flag Is not flying over a government building is SC either, it's flying over a war memorial, which by the way was a compromise to move it from the government building, agreed to by all parties. It's a State issue and everyone else should but the hell out.

The confederate flag Is not flying over a government building is SC either, it's flying over a war memorial, which by the way was a compromise to move it from the government building, agreed to by all parties. It's a State issue and everyone else should but the hell out.

Is it on the capital grounds? Yes it is.

Conflating a private citizens personal flag with a flag hoisted by the government on government property is silly at best.

Forum List

Back