These Voters Share Almost No Political Beliefs, but They Agree on One Thing: We’re Failing as a Nation

Why are we failing as a nation? I hope you aren't talking about gays. That is just right wing politics. How are we failing?

The rich are getting richer. Are you concerned the middle class isn't making enough? Me too

Gun violence. Yes this is a problem I agree

The environment? Yes this is where we are failing

Our debt? Yes it's a problem. Due to the class warfare the rich have waged on us since Reagan.

Falling apart social programs like social security and medicare? I agree.

Americans don't have it as good as your parents had it. Remember those middle class people had it good. Good wages, affordable college, unions, pensions. low healthcare costs. Now that they run Washington and have given the rich too many tax breaks they say we can't afford to have it as good as them. Boomers.
A very good post

"Death to the fascist insect that preys upon the life of the people"

Those days that General Field Marshal Cinque Mtume longed for are finally here. Boomers are dying every single day. The absolute most selfish, self-absorbed, absolutely clueless, generation in American history. They complain about schools, and complain about paying for them, yet when they were children the government devoted over twice as much, as a percentage of total federal spending, to them than they are willing to provide for their children and grandchildren. Clueless.

Corporations paid income taxes that were equivalent to four percent of GDP when the boomers were kids, now they barely pay one. It is insulting. The finance industry accounts for 20% of GDP, about three times what they took in when the Boomers were young and they are not delivering anything more than they did then, in fact, probably less.

The rich are paying a far greater share of taxes, but even that greater share accounts for a much lower percentage of their income than they were paying when the Boomers were young. That is because they take a much higher percentage of the income. And the deficit, well since Reagan the wealthy figured out it is much better to receive interest from the government than pay the government taxes, so they loan the government money instead of pay the damn taxes. Then they cry about the debt in an attempt to gut social programs and put even more money in their pocket. Fascist insects, one and all.

But the OP is right on one point. Yes, almost a majority of Americans believe the country is going in the wrong direction. And, ironically, most of them agree on the problems, it is the solutions that define the differences. Fortunately, we have forty years of data to evaluate proposed solutions, but Boomers are also lazy, lazy as damn hell.

For example, wealth distribution, it is the biggest problem by far. But the answer is not tax cuts and spending cuts, the data has borne that out. Every time, every damn time, since Reagan, when taxes are cut the Lorentz curve gets steeper, and that's the measurement of wealth distribution. It played out in spades with the Trump tax cuts and was only exasperated by Covid. Screw Covid being an attack by China, the complete bungling of handling the pandemic might have been on purpose. The wealthy want less people and more money and that is precisely what they got. Talk about "Deep State".

I know this post is damn near a manifesto, but I am just getting started. The takeaway is, soon enough, the Boomers will be behind us, the last remnants wasting away in their own piss at some underfunded rest home. Thankfully, the Millennials now control the markets, and soon enough, the government. When that happens, things will change.

The middle class is failing (or so we're led to believe) because so many have abandoned or shun blue collar employment in favor of the siren song of college and the promise of a higher income. Many blue collar jobs pay very good wages and benefits and have traditionally been the backbone of middle class income. While there is a slight resurgence thousand of these jobs remain unfilled which has a negative effect on the growth of domestic manufacturing, which itself is the traditional backbone of the national economy.
Relates more to the destruction of union jobs that offered fair pay and good benefits. A man used to be able to support a family on those jobs (my father did). Now you must go to college

There are few things that Republicans and Democrats agree on. But one area where a significant share of each party finds common ground is a belief that the country is headed toward failure.

Overall, 37% of registered voters say the problems are so bad that we are in danger of failing as a nation, according to the latest New York Times/Siena College poll.

Fifty-six percent of Republicans and Republican-leaning independents said we are in danger of such failure. This kind of outlook is more common among voters whose party is out of power. But it’s also noteworthy that fatalists, as we might call them, span the political spectrum. Around 20% of Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents say they feel the same way.

And the failure has two things in common, republicans and democrats.

Yet you have a substantial number of the very same people that "feel" that we need to go further in debt as a nation and have more laws and government programs....We are pretty much fucked.

That's what comes from a solid 25% of the country drinking the water instead of helping to carry it.....And they still get a vote.
This group is largely older — two-thirds of Republicans older than 65 say the country is on the verge of failure — and less educated

I've heard that Wilder ad libbed that line....you can see it in the response of his counterpart.

Falling apart social programs like social security and medicare? I agree.
Social programs are stressed because of the irresponsible lifestyle of so many people; obesity, careless injury, addictions, criminal behaviors, lack of education, which lead to the need for these programs.

Regarding Social Security. It is alive and well but simply needs to be adjusted for its long-term survival. At present it too suffers from the above irresponsible and unnecessary behaviors.

Lost 3 million jobs
Botched Covid Leadership
Twice impeached
Refused a peaceful transfer of power
Jobs were all due to China released virus, and forced shutdowns. You keep trying to blame COVID on him, yet can’t tell us how he could had done better. More lockdowns? Then there would had been more lost jobs. Both impeachments were shams based odd nothing and went nowhere. There was a peaceful transfer of power, even after a stolen election.

A very good post

Those days that General Field Marshal Cinque Mtume longed for are finally here. Boomers are dying every single day. The absolute most selfish, self-absorbed, absolutely clueless, generation in American history. They complain about schools, and complain about paying for them, yet when they were children the government devoted over twice as much, as a percentage of total federal spending, to them than they are willing to provide for their children and grandchildren. Clueless.

Corporations paid income taxes that were equivalent to four percent of GDP when the boomers were kids, now they barely pay one. It is insulting. The finance industry accounts for 20% of GDP, about three times what they took in when the Boomers were young and they are not delivering anything more than they did then, in fact, probably less.

The rich are paying a far greater share of taxes, but even that greater share accounts for a much lower percentage of their income than they were paying when the Boomers were young. That is because they take a much higher percentage of the income. And the deficit, well since Reagan the wealthy figured out it is much better to receive interest from the government than pay the government taxes, so they loan the government money instead of pay the damn taxes. Then they cry about the debt in an attempt to gut social programs and put even more money in their pocket. Fascist insects, one and all.

But the OP is right on one point. Yes, almost a majority of Americans believe the country is going in the wrong direction. And, ironically, most of them agree on the problems, it is the solutions that define the differences. Fortunately, we have forty years of data to evaluate proposed solutions, but Boomers are also lazy, lazy as damn hell.

For example, wealth distribution, it is the biggest problem by far. But the answer is not tax cuts and spending cuts, the data has borne that out. Every time, every damn time, since Reagan, when taxes are cut the Lorentz curve gets steeper, and that's the measurement of wealth distribution. It played out in spades with the Trump tax cuts and was only exasperated by Covid. Screw Covid being an attack by China, the complete bungling of handling the pandemic might have been on purpose. The wealthy want less people and more money and that is precisely what they got. Talk about "Deep State".

I know this post is damn near a manifesto, but I am just getting started. The takeaway is, soon enough, the Boomers will be behind us, the last remnants wasting away in their own piss at some underfunded rest home. Thankfully, the Millennials now control the markets, and soon enough, the government. When that happens, things will change.
We've all been here before....some of us just forgot....

Jobs were all due to China released virus, and forced shutdowns. You keep trying to blame COVID on him, yet can’t tell us how he could had done better. More lockdowns? Then there would had been more lost jobs. Both impeachments were shams based odd nothing and went nowhere. There was a peaceful transfer of power, even after a stolen election.
So post his number through Feb 2020...

Relates more to the destruction of union jobs that offered fair pay and good benefits. A man used to be able to support a family on those jobs (my father did). Now you must go to college
Many of these jobs pay very good wages and benefits without a union. Demand is high and growing as manufacturing tries to make a return.

You keep trying to blame COVID on him, yet can’t tell us how he could had done better.

Wore a FREAKING MASK
Be more concerned with fighting COVID instead of blaming China
Not pit one state against another
Not conduct Superspreader events during a Pandemic
Be honest with the people

Wore a FREAKING MASK
Masks never did, and still do not do anything to prevent Coof transmission.

The most money spent on health care, the worst outcome among industrialized mations.

So post his number through Feb 2020...
IMG_4234.jpeg

Masks never did, and still do not do anything to prevent Coof transmission.

Of course they do

Trump had a chance to show leadership and sacrifice during COVID

Instead, he said…I don’t look good in a mask
You can wear one, I won’t.

Of course they do

Trump had a chance to show leadership and sacrifice during COVID

Instead, he said…I don’t look good in a mask
You can wear one, I won’t.

Cloth masks and surgical masks do nothing to prevent COVID transmission. That is the science. You would need a full body suit with respirator to actually prevent transmission.

Cloth masks and surgical masks do nothing to prevent COVID transmission. That is the science. You would need a full body suit with respirator to actually prevent transmission.
Still spreading that misinformation
Masks prevent you from spraying spittle that contain the virus

A very good post

The only problem is that when they die in that old folks home, they have also figured out a way to screw us on that too. My buddy just told me his step father has to go to a home. $7500 a month.

My mom had to go into a home. Thank god she only lasted 1 month. It was $22,000 a month. Why would we put her there? Because there was a HOPE we would have her on medicare/medicaid (I forget which) before the 2nd month. The place had to accept Medicare/Medicaid. The places that cost $7500 a month don't. The ones that do, charge $22,000 for people paying out of pocket.

And you would think that place was a wonderful place with plenty of staff? Not even close.

Here is another reason I vote Democratic. Credit card companies. Predatory lenders. Charging high interest rates. Hidden fees. Republicans allow credit card companies to do all these shady practices. Democrats regulate them.

Are Democrats perfect? No. They're just the lesser of two evils. They need to fight harder for us too.

Wore a FREAKING MASK
The response to Covid should have been quick and targeted. The ban on travel from China, that was a joke. Travel was still allowed from the Hong Kong and Macao territories, and US citizens were allowed to return from China without going through a quarantine. Tens of thousands of them. And while Covid clusters in the Pacific Northwest may have originated in China, it was Europe that bought Covid to New York. But hey, thems white people so that doesn't count.

The production of testing ability was woefully inadequate and plagued with problems. That was because Trump was more concerned about distributing contracts to his political supporters than getting them to the most competent companies. Same for mask production and ventilators. For Trump, everything is political and everything is about him, if people die, then so be it, and that is precisely what happened.

Truman's famous quote, "The buck stops here", never applied to Trump. He deflected, he minimized, and he sought to cast blame to anyone and everyone other than himself. What a piss poor leader. He is a mere child, trapped in the obese body of a quickly aging fool.

The only problem is that when they die in that old folks home, they have also figured out a way to screw us on that too. My buddy just told me his step father has to go to a home. $7500 a month.

My mom had to go into a home. Thank god she only lasted 1 month. It was $22,000 a month. Why would we put her there? Because there was a HOPE we would have her on medicare/medicaid (I forget which) before the 2nd month. The place had to accept Medicare/Medicaid. The places that cost $7500 a month don't. The ones that do, charge $22,000 for people paying out of pocket.

And you would think that place was a wonderful place with plenty of staff? Not even close.

Here is another reason I vote Democratic. Credit card companies. Predatory lenders. Charging high interest rates. Hidden fees. Republicans allow credit card companies to do all these shady practices. Democrats regulate them.

Are Democrats perfect? No. They're just the lesser of two evils. They need to fight harder for us too.
It was Medicaid. It is called "spend down". Once the nursing home takes all the person's money Medicaid steps in. Of course, they can collect some of their money back by taking the homes of the beneficiaries, which happens all too often. And nothing defines Cinque's quote better than Medicaid and the elderly.

You work your whole life and you build a little wealth. You have a home paid for, you amass a little bit of retirement. Every generation before the boomers passed something on to their kids. But the boomers, they die in a rest home that gobbles up all that they built and then bills taxpayers for the rest.

Forum List

Back