These are 7 year old girls for crying out loud!

I draw the line with the State and Federal Sex Abuse and Exploitation of Children Laws.

Now, maybe you'll answer:

OK, so I should "protest" girls that dance, and genital mutilation. Gotchya.

What if I see an 8 year old, dancing in the waves on the beach in a bikini?

What if I see a 10 year old licking an icecream cone?

What if I see a 6 year old sitting on the lap of an elderly man dressed in a red snow suit?
Strawman is one of your most often used techniques.

heh....it would take someone who compares "Genital Mutilation" to "Sexualization" to be an expert strawman manufacturer.:lol:
I'm trying to establish the end lines of your belief that something is okay just because the parents approve. That's what this thread is all about. An opinion on what some parents either allowed or forced their seven year old daughters to do in a public video...specifically directed at the sexualizing of young girls for benefit and adulation of their parents and trainers. We have expressed opinions on what parents should or should not allow or force their children to do, most of it directed toward sexual exploitation of young girls. I ask you a simple question...

You don't have to answer.

Strawman is one of your most often used techniques.

heh....it would take someone who compares "Genital Mutilation" to "Sexualization" to be an expert strawman manufacturer.:lol:
I'm trying to establish the end lines of your belief that something is okay just because the parents approve. That's what this thread is all about. An opinion on what some parents either allowed or forced their seven year old daughters to do in a public video...specifically directed at the sexualizing of young girls for benefit and adulation of their parents and trainers. We have expressed opinions on what parents should or should not allow or force their children to do, most of it directed toward sexual exploitation of young girls. I ask you a simple question...

You don't have to answer.

Niether did you.

They probably walk off the stage shaking their heads at the silly things they have to do. Seven year olds aren't idiots. Do we deny sports uniforms to little boys because they are too much like what adult men wear ?

I don't know about that. My own kiddos are just shy of 7, and anything but idiots. But it doesn't matter how intelligent or talented a child that age is, they're still children with a child's emotional development. And they're still far too literal and eager to please. Relying on their bodies to please other people and get ahead is a lesson too likely to be internalized for my comfort. And that's just not something I think children should be learning. Down the road you'd probably be right, when they're more developed and able to put it in perspective.

Beautifully said. There is a world of difference between little girls 'playing house' or 'playing mommy' and in being taught to use their bodies in sexual ways to evoke appreciation or approval of others.

in being taught to use their bodies in sexual ways to evoke appreciation or approval of others.

You mean, dancing.

There are religions that prohibit dancing.

bretongirlsdancing.jpg

in being taught to use their bodies in sexual ways to evoke appreciation or approval of others.

You mean, dancing.

bretongirlsdancing.jpg

Yep! Baptists don't commit adultery standin' up 'cause folks might think they're dancin'.

There's much difference between the fully dressed young maidens frolicking in the field to music in their heads and the scantily dressed seven year old girls hunching on video to the music and demeanor of exotic dancers.

Way to much to respond to individually so ill just make a few comments.

As someone who as been that child on the stage dancing.

Its fun!!! It burns off energy, and trust me these girls got some energy to burn. Its taking control of your body in a good way. There is no impressed ideas of sex about anything you learn. You learn team work and how to compete to win. There is an understanding that what you are doing is what is needed to win. Simple as that. You take off the makeup and costume and go right back to being a kid.

I never saw, nor did I go home and start putting on makeup and sexy clothes. None of us danced at school. None of us wore our costumes anywhere excepted when needed. None of us were "boy crazy." We were to busy, to absorbed, in what we were doing to pay much attention to anything but school and dancing. Our friends were the other girls we danced with.

Don't assume that the parents are not teaching them good values. Dancing is not slut training.

What I am getting is that many of you are saying you worried about the "message" that all of this is sending to the dancers. They learn that you need stage makeup. You learn that your can compete and win. There is no message its just dancing.

As I said before a good deal of the problem is Beyonce, and by that, projecting it onto the dancers. The song itself as a fun beat, it has energy. That is why they used it. Now if you really listen the words the song it actually has a good message. Its about valuing yourself and not being treated badly.

I think that Barbi dolls and Glamor magazines are a worse message. That is truly teaching sexuality.

How about karaite and the like. What message are they learning? Hit harder and faster. Beat the shit out of your opponent, do it better and you will win.

The messages children learn is what the parents teach them. No more or less. Karaite is not teaching children to be bullies, nor is dancing teaching your children to be sluts.

You mean, dancing.

bretongirlsdancing.jpg

Yep! Baptists don't commit adultery standin' up 'cause folks might think they're dancin'.

There's much difference between the fully dressed young maidens frolicking in the field to music in their heads and the scantily dressed seven year old girls hunching on video to the music and demeanor of exotic dancers.

I see. What if they took off their bonnets?

No doubt someone whould be offended....Then, they may show their ANKLES!!!:eek:

Its fun!!! It burns off energy, and trust me these girls got some energy to burn. Its taking control of your body in a good way. There is no impressed ideas of sex about anything you learn. You learn team work and how to compete to win. There is an understanding that what you are doing is what is needed to win. Simple as that. You take off the makeup and costume and go right back to being a kid.

I never saw, nor did I go home and start putting on makeup and sexy clothes. None of us danced at school. None of us wore our costumes anywhere excepted when needed. None of us were "boy crazy." We were to busy, to absorbed, in what we were doing to pay much attention to anything but school and dancing. Our friends were the other girls we danced with.

Don't assume that the parents are not teaching them good values. Dancing is not slut training.

What I am getting is that many of you are saying you worried about the "message" that all of this is sending to the dancers. They learn that you need stage makeup. You learn that your can compete and win. There is no message its just dancing.

As I said before a good deal of the problem is Beyonce, and by that, projecting it onto the dancers. The song itself as a fun beat, it has energy. That is why they used it. Now if you really listen the words the song it actually has a good message. Its about valuing yourself and not being treated badly.

I think that Barbi dolls and Glamor magazines are a worse message. That is truly teaching sexuality.

How about karaite and the like. What message are they learning? Hit harder and faster. Beat the shit out of your opponent, do it better and you will win.

The messages children learn is what the parents teach them. No more or less. Karaite is not teaching children to be bullies, nor is dancing teaching your children to be sluts.

And parents should not be teaching or approving their seven-year-olds using their bodies in a sexual way in order to win competitions or gain approval.

In a former life I headed a large social organization that among other things had a comprehensive dance program for all ages: tap, ballet, contemporary, lyrical, and ball room. Hip hop wasn't a real big thing yet or we no doubt would have had that too.

But I cannot imagine in a million years our staff choreographing a routine for the little ones like those girls were doing in that video. And had we done so, the parents would have blasted us without mincing words and would have yanked their kids out of that program so fast all we would have seen was a blur.

And, unless they were able to make big amends fast, the dance staff would have been out the door too.

And parents should not be teaching or approving their seven-year-olds using their bodies in a sexual way in order to win competitions or gain approval.

In a former life I headed a large social organization that among other things had a comprehensive dance program for all ages: tap, ballet, contemporary, lyrical, and ball room. Hip hop wasn't a real big thing yet or we no doubt would have had that too.

But I cannot imagine in a million years our staff choreographing a routine for the little ones like those girls were doing in that video. And had we done so, the parents would have blasted us without mincing words and would have yanked their kids out of that program so fast all we would have seen was a blur.

And, unless they were able to make big amends fast, the dance staff would have been out the door too.

Yep. its up to the parents to decide if, or if not, their kids are being "sexualised."

Obviously, they don't.

Yep. its up to the parents to decide if, or if not, their kids are being "sexualised."

Obviously, they don't.

I suppose it is a generation gap thing maybe though reading the comments of those of the current generation with kids around that age, I'm thinking that isn't it.

In my opinion, if they don't, they are idiots.

But maybe that's just me.

Do any of you remember the movie "The trouble with angles" with Hayley Mills?

Do you remember the bit about winning the music competition and what the solution was?

Do you remember the bit about winning the music competition and what the solution was?

Was Kevin Bacon in it?

Did EZ play the Reverand?

Does she look that much like John Lithgow?

Last edited:

A favorite movie in my collection of movies.

But that was high schoolers, not seven year olds. And it exceeded a demure Catholic convent standard, not the normal standard of a modern world. It was leotards, not Burlesque.

But that was high schoolers, not seven year olds. And it exceeded a demure Catholic convent standard, not the normal standard of a modern world. It was leotards, not Burlesque.

It was a racy, sexy costume that was horrifying to the mother superior who understood that it was how they were going to win the competition.

It was a racy, sexy costume that was horrifying to the mother superior who understood that it was how they were going to win the competition.

Lori Singer was teh hawtness

lori-singer-then_1_.jpg

Obviously, they don't.
...and you condone it as long as it's not your 'kid'.

Yep, I also condone eating food fried in transfat and drinking Coke!!

:eek:
...as do I, but neither of those two sexualize nor do they steal from the innocent years of young girls.

Let them learn on their own. Seven is entirely too young to be coaching them in eroticism and certainly too young to be displayed to perverts.

Forum List

Back