There's a fire ban so I can't smoke my roast

Put those chips in a small foil plate(baked potato of other small rectangular), make sure the are moist an put them in the end of a roasting pan.

Cover the whole thing in foil and slow bake (200-250).

You still get smoke, no fire.
Yeah I'm leaning that way.

You wont get any smoke off a chip pan at those temps.
Wood doesnt start to burn until it reaches 451degrees.

So I've got to fix my bottom round some other way....I think I'm still putting a badass dry rub on. Then I believe I'll put a hard sear on it....then in a big roaster loosely covered for a very low slow roasting. When I take it out it's getting a tight wrap for an hour...then slice thick, I think. It should be tender. I'm curious as to whether I'll get a red ring like you get on the BBQ.

Nope..no ring. That requires hours of smoking.
While I use an offset firebox stick burner most of the time,I also have an electric smoker. I recommend this one unless you have a large family.
Cookshack Smokette Elite Electric BBQ Smoker
You might want to consider one. Dont think it would be a problem a far as the burn ban goes.
And the best part? You can stick a brisket in it and about 4 ounces(basicly enough wood to fill the palm of your hand) of the wood of your choice and forget it.
Comes with an electronic meat probe so you know exactly when to pull it.
It makes some decent BBQ but I will say a real smoker is far better.

Put those chips in a small foil plate(baked potato of other small rectangular), make sure the are moist an put them in the end of a roasting pan.

Really, we need fire to get smoke??

bbqrs_delight.jpg

BBQr's Delight makes a dozen flavors of pellets in small 1/10 pound or 1 pound bags that are 100% flavor wood including alder, apple, cherry, hickory, orange, pecan, and others. Their Jack Daniel's pellets are a mix of oak and charcoal from oak whiskey barrels, and their Savory Herb is oak with herbs in the blend. I love using these products because they are easy to measure and control. They only burn for about 20 minutes at 225°F, so you must get your meat on before the wood.
Barbecue Wood Smoke Different Types How to Use it.

This explains the heat ranges and what is required for smoke rings.............

Same source as above.

Dr. Blonder explains that during combustion wood goes through four stages. When it is really going good, all four stages can be happening at once.

Stage 1 - Dehydration (up to about 500°F). In this stage wood must be heated from an external source like a match, kindling, rolled up newspaper, or (horrors) lighter fluid. The wood drys out the rest of the way, water steams and evaporates, and some gases like carbon dioxide are given off, but there is no flame or heat produced.

Stage 2 - Gassification and pyrolysis (500 to 700°F). Here's where combustion begins. The compounds in wood begin to change, and some come off as flamable gases, some form oily liquids and tars. The gases will burn if you give it an ignition source like a flame or spark, but they will not ignite on their own. Let's call the combustion point 575°F on average for the sake of discussion.

Stage 3 - Burning bush (700-1,000°F). An apt term coined by Dr. Blonder to describe the phase most important to cooks. Flame appears and more gases emerge, among them nitric oxide (NO) which is essential for formation of the smoke ring in meat. In the sweet spot of about 650 to 750°F, the best aromatic compounds for cooking come off, among them guaiacol and syringol, which are primarily responsible for the aromas we call smoke. Some are ethereal and dissipate, and that's why barbecue doesn't taste the same after it has been reheated. As the temp rises above 750°F, acrid, bitter, and possibly hazardous compounds are formed.

Stage 4 - Charcoal formation (above 1,000°F).Most of the organic compounds have burned off leaving behind pure carbon, or char, which burns with little smoke.

Really, we need fire to get smoke??

bbqrs_delight.jpg

BBQr's Delight makes a dozen flavors of pellets in small 1/10 pound or 1 pound bags that are 100% flavor wood including alder, apple, cherry, hickory, orange, pecan, and others. Their Jack Daniel's pellets are a mix of oak and charcoal from oak whiskey barrels, and their Savory Herb is oak with herbs in the blend. I love using these products because they are easy to measure and control. They only burn for about 20 minutes at 225°F, so you must get your meat on before the wood.
Barbecue Wood Smoke Different Types How to Use it.

It's been my experience over the last thirty years that wood chips dont do jack shit at those temps.
You have to put them over a hotter heat source away from the meat for them to work. Then you run into the problem of venting on a typical grill not designed for smoking....all the smoke rolls out the top before it can do anything to the meat. You can try tenting but that channels the heat from your chips to the meat totally blowing the BBQ effect.
Smoking on a gas grill or over charcoal is a pain in the ass for weak ass results.
I dont even bother anymore.

I was concerned they wouldn't smoke at all either...though I wouldn't need much smoke...I think I'm going to just suck it up and use the bbq anyway lol. My neighbors won't snitch me out.

I've already commented on this, I run a dual fuel, propane / charcoal cabinet smoker.

I can do jerky all day long at less than 200 F, and can easily smoke butt for 8 to 12 hours at around 250 using both.

The trick with my setup is to let the charcoal heat the wet wood chips to produce smoke, because of cabinet size, closing all bottom air vents and choking the toip vent produces reliable temps in the appropriate range without the need for constant fuel babysitting as required with an offset fire box style smoker.

I burnt my New Braunsfeld Horizontal offset firebox slap up, hated it for smoking Turkeys or butts, not only was it a fuel hog, but it was demanding also.

The whole point is mute considering if you don't get that smoke in in the first couple of hours your not gonna get it in.

Most professionals now stop smoking and use either water bath or interior cabinet steam to finish off the meat after a couple of hours of smoking.

Produces a much moister cut of meat and ensures that internal temperatures are all equal.

Oven Smoked Ribs
by noahw
award-featured.png

Even though these ribs are cooked in the oven, they still have a kiss of smokey flavor. That's right, ribs can be "oven-smoked" indoors, right in your very own kitchen using wet wood chips and a smoking tent made of heavy duty tinfoil.

Just because it might be wintertime where you live doesn't mean that you have to give up your favorite smoked meats. Sure, they're not exactly like real smoker-smoked ribs, but since I like ribs almost as much as I like pizza, it's at least something I can do to please the Rib Gods during the colder months.

This recipe is based upon Mark Bittman's article and recipe "For a Smoky Taste in Oven Ribs" that appeared in the The New York Times on 12/9/09.
Step 1: Prep smoking chips

You can pick up smoking chips at your local hardware or specialty foods store. My local ACE hardware carried Weber Cherry Wood Chunks, so I got those.

Smoking experts have favorite types of woods for imparting specific flavors upon their meat - apple for a light sweetness, mesquite for a deep penetrating flavor, aromatic alder for a more subtle smoke on fish and seafood, and so on, and so on, but since this is already a bastardized indoor smoking operation I think any type of wood you can find will do just fine.

There isn't anything particularly special about pre-packaged smoking chips - if you live outside of a city and can access some nature that hasn't seen any pesticides, chances are you can collect some wood chips from the world right around you.

Break down the chunks of wood into small chips using a hammer and chisel or a hatchet. If you don't want to mess around with this added step, make sure to get small smoking chips and not wood chunks.

Line the bottom of a heavy roasting pan with the chips and cover them with a rack so that the meat will be suspended above the smoky bed of chips. Then, pour enough water into the bottom of the pan to moisten the chips, but not so much that you cover them. Ideally, soak the chips in the water ahead of time and add in even less water into the bottom of the roasting pan.
Oven Smoked Ribs

I was concerned they wouldn't smoke at all either...though I wouldn't need much smoke...I think I'm going to just suck it up and use the bbq anyway lol. My neighbors won't snitch me out.

I've had my eye on this little gem..
36 Hybrid Patio Smoker Cooker Chargrill

My Pitts and Spits is about twenty years old due for retirement..
38521-eabbec7a05bf3ed906b0c0029fb6165b.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0880.jpg
    IMG_0880.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 97
Oven Smoked Ribs
by noahw
award-featured.png

Even though these ribs are cooked in the oven, they still have a kiss of smokey flavor. That's right, ribs can be "oven-smoked" indoors, right in your very own kitchen using wet wood chips and a smoking tent made of heavy duty tinfoil.

Just because it might be wintertime where you live doesn't mean that you have to give up your favorite smoked meats. Sure, they're not exactly like real smoker-smoked ribs, but since I like ribs almost as much as I like pizza, it's at least something I can do to please the Rib Gods during the colder months.

This recipe is based upon Mark Bittman's article and recipe "For a Smoky Taste in Oven Ribs" that appeared in the The New York Times on 12/9/09.
Step 1: Prep smoking chips

You can pick up smoking chips at your local hardware or specialty foods store. My local ACE hardware carried Weber Cherry Wood Chunks, so I got those.

Smoking experts have favorite types of woods for imparting specific flavors upon their meat - apple for a light sweetness, mesquite for a deep penetrating flavor, aromatic alder for a more subtle smoke on fish and seafood, and so on, and so on, but since this is already a bastardized indoor smoking operation I think any type of wood you can find will do just fine.

There isn't anything particularly special about pre-packaged smoking chips - if you live outside of a city and can access some nature that hasn't seen any pesticides, chances are you can collect some wood chips from the world right around you.

Break down the chunks of wood into small chips using a hammer and chisel or a hatchet. If you don't want to mess around with this added step, make sure to get small smoking chips and not wood chunks.

Line the bottom of a heavy roasting pan with the chips and cover them with a rack so that the meat will be suspended above the smoky bed of chips. Then, pour enough water into the bottom of the pan to moisten the chips, but not so much that you cover them. Ideally, soak the chips in the water ahead of time and add in even less water into the bottom of the roasting pan.
Oven Smoked Ribs

Nice! I was thinking of the whole rack thing too...and ultimately I have decided it's probably just easier to go ahead and use the freaking bbq. I'll hose down the yard. I've smoked boston butt for 8 hours, it turns out great and has a beautiful ring. That much smoke on chickens is a little intense, so I don't keep it smoking the whole time.

I've already commented on this, I run a dual fuel, propane / charcoal cabinet smoker.

I can do jerky all day long at less than 200 F, and can easily smoke butt for 8 to 12 hours at around 250 using both.

The trick with my setup is to let the charcoal heat the wet wood chips to produce smoke, because of cabinet size, closing all bottom air vents and choking the toip vent produces reliable temps in the appropriate range without the need for constant fuel babysitting as required with an offset fire box style smoker.

I burnt my New Braunsfeld Horizontal offset firebox slap up, hated it for smoking Turkeys or butts, not only was it a fuel hog, but it was demanding also.

The whole point is mute considering if you don't get that smoke in in the first couple of hours your not gonna get it in.

Most professionals now stop smoking and use either water bath or interior cabinet steam to finish off the meat after a couple of hours of smoking.

Produces a much moister cut of meat and ensures that internal temperatures are all equal.

Whats the temp where the wood is? And are you using a puck smoker?

I think I have hickory right now...I might have some apple wood too.

If I had that I'd start catering. I'm poor and so use low tech, cheapo bbq set ups lol. Necessity is the mother of yummy bbq and smoking..I can do open pit, too. And it's because that's kind of the only way there was lol.

In fact my movers (that's my son) left my bbq grill at my other house when I moved, so I have to scrounge around and see what I have that will fit in my cheapo bbq.

If I had that I'd start catering. I'm poor and so use low tech, cheapo bbq set ups lol. Necessity is the mother of yummy bbq and smoking..I can do open pit, too. And it's because that's kind of the only way there was lol.

One of the best cheapos out there that actually produces some decent BBQ are the water smokers.
Meco 5031 Charcoal Combo Water Smoker

One of the best cheapos out there that actually produces some decent BBQ are the water smokers.
Meco 5031 Charcoal Combo Water Smoker
That is nice.

Forum List

Back