There's a fire ban so I can't smoke my roast

koshergrl

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2011
So I've got to fix my bottom round some other way....I think I'm still putting a badass dry rub on. Then I believe I'll put a hard sear on it....then in a big roaster loosely covered for a very low slow roasting. When I take it out it's getting a tight wrap for an hour...then slice thick, I think. It should be tender. I'm curious as to whether I'll get a red ring like you get on the BBQ.

So I've got to fix my bottom round some other way....I think I'm still putting a badass dry rub on. Then I believe I'll put a hard sear on it....then in a big roaster loosely covered for a very low slow roasting. When I take it out it's getting a tight wrap for an hour...then slice thick, I think. It should be tender. I'm curious as to whether I'll get a red ring like you get on the BBQ.

How good is your kitchen exhaust? Would it handle a few wood chips placed near the broiler to smolder?

I already thought about that and decided I probably ought not :(

Put those chips in a small foil plate(baked potato of other small rectangular), make sure the are moist an put them in the end of a roasting pan.

Cover the whole thing in foil and slow bake (200-250).

You still get smoke, no fire.

Put those chips in a small foil plate(baked potato of other small rectangular), make sure the are moist an put them in the end of a roasting pan.

Cover the whole thing in foil and slow bake (200-250).

You still get smoke, no fire.
Yeah I'm leaning that way.

Funny I would not think burn bans cover smokers.

I neither asked anyone while serving as a fire fighter to extinguish a smoker during burn bans nor have I ever had anyone say anything about my smoker.

Nor do I think burn bans cover grills or smokers.

Perhaps you should invest in an electric smoker............

Yeah my smoker is my BBQ. I have an electric smoker....500 miles away. My yard is dry and it gets windy...if it rains I'm back on but it's cooking tomorrow and it doesn't look like rain.

I run a dual fuel smoker once a week, I usually use charcoal for the first few hours but have propane in case of he need for more heat or quicker cooking.

I went to the local meat market yesterday and got 3 lbs. of sausage.

pound of brats
pound of chili-cheese
pound of boudan

These are the good ones, custom ground with top quality bottom round

Gonna get the Boston Butt out from the freezer, all going in smoker today or tomorrow.

sear it then put it in a large crock pot with burgundy wine, potates, carrots, onions and mushrooms. let it cook all day. Better than smoking a roast.

sear it then put it in a large crock pot with burgundy wine, potates, carrots, onions and mushrooms. let it cook all day. Better than smoking a roast.
I love pot roast too...but I have something different in mind for this. It's for a picnic.

You make your own dry rubs, I have some custom southern recipes.

Ever tried brineing one of those bottom rounds??

How To Brine a Roast
Keith Parks March 27, 2014

Using a brine is particularly valuable for leaner roasts originating from the round (round roast, bottom round roast, eye of round roast, rump roast). The brine helps the beef maintain moisture during cooking in a dry method environment (roasting, grilling). Essentially, the roast is not as prone to denaturing (i.e. squeezing out the water due to protein contraction) if it has been brined. Brining also imparts flavor.

Brining a roast is pretty simple. Any solution with salt counts as a brine. Here’s a recipe that has a great, distinctive flavor.

1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup salt
2 tablespoons cracked black pepper
2 tablespoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup water

Add above to a saucepan and bring to a boil stirring until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and add…

3 cups cold water

Place in a zip lock bag with roast and brine overnight. Discard the bag and brine. Roast in the oven or try grilling (see previous post – How to Grill a Roast). Crock pot is a good stand-by too…

Serve, thinly sliced, on Kaiser buns spread with horseradish and stone ground mustard and topped with slices raw red onions.

Need a 100% grass fed roast? Check out our Online Store! (a tip – the Economy Box is the best, cheapest way to get a roast today)

How to Make Bottom Round Roast Melt in Your Mouth
by Amelia Allonsy, Demand Media

Bottom round roast should be cooked slowly to make it tender.

Related Articles
Bottom round roast, commonly called rump roast, is taken from the rump portion and hind leg of beef so it's naturally a very tough cut of beef. While naturally tender cuts such as rib roast and tenderloin can be cooked fast, you must braise bottom round roast over a long cooking time to make the meat fork-tender.

A Tough Cut
As a cow walks, it exercises its hind legs and builds up muscle, which translates into tough muscle fibers in the bottom round roast. This lean meat tends to dry out while cooking, especially when cooked over high, dry heat. Bottom round roast contains connective tissue and collagen that are tough and chewy when cooked fast, but when cooked slowly at a low temperature, the tissue breaks down and the collagen renders into smooth, melt-in-your-mouth gelatin.

Marinades
Tender cuts of meat require little more than a sprinkle of dry spices for flavoring, but tough cuts such as bottom round roast benefit from marinating for at least 12 hours. A marinade typically contains a fat such as olive oil, an acidic ingredient such as vinegar or citrus juice and a blend of herbs and spices. The acid in marinade helps break down tough meat fibers to make the bottom round roast tender. You can make your own marinade or purchase a bottled marinade from the grocery store. Place the bottom round roast in a large storage bag and pour the marinade over the top. Seal the bag tightly and place it in the refrigerator to marinate overnight.

Braising
A long cooking time in an oven with dry heat can dry out the roast, making it flavorless and tough to chew. Tough meat cuts such as bottom round roast are best when braised to provide moist heat and help the meat retain moisture. Braised beef roasts are generically referred to as pot roasts. You might start by searing the meat in a bit of oil to brown the outsides, working in a cast iron skillet or an oven-safe pan such as a Dutch oven. After searing the meat, add enough water or beef broth to cover at least one-third of the roast and transfer it to the oven. Spoon the liquid over the roast periodically as it cooks to keep the meat moist throughout.

Temperature and Time
Bottom round roast should be cooked at a maximum of 300 degrees Fahrenheit or lower to allow the collagen and connective tissues in the meat to break down. The length of time really depends on the size of the roast and the actual temperature; the time increases as the temperature decreases. A typical bottom round roast that weighs 3 to 4 pounds should be slow roasted for about 4 hours to cook to well-done with an internal temperature of 165 to 170 F. You can even make the roast in a slow cooker, which takes roughly 7 hours on the low heat setting. While you might typically eat beef at medium-rare or medium doneness, this doesn't allow enough time to break down the collagen, connective tissue and tough meat fibers.

add a few drops of liquid smoke and a little Worcestershire sauce with the right amount of seasonings. Barbeque sauce with some beef broth if you want to make pulled beef sandwiches or reduce it down when slow cooking for a tasty flavor for the sliced beef.
I always seer brown the beef before slow or pressure cooking.

I have a meat slicer, so Recently when it rained I decided not to grill it and froze it enough to slice the roast for steak sandwiches and the last thick piece I pounded with my fist and made a pan steak that was liken to a fillet mignon even though it was from a roast.
I wish I can remember my rub and sauce in pan frying it, I usually use butter and olive oil in the pan, and some brown sugar garlic powder onion powder rub, little ground sage, might have used a dash of Worcestershire sauce and 2-3 drops smoke flavor dash of barbeque sauce, salt & pepper and seer the hell out of it to blacken the crust.
It might have gotten tender from the force and vibration of being used in a slicer, or might have been a fattier grained roast then usual.

With pulled beef I like to use it over wide yokeless noodes with cheddar cheese or colby & cheddar blend. If i make A big roast in it's own beef juice I'll set some aside and make a string beef chillie or use it over rice with colby cheese baked on it.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back