Crockpot pulled pork?

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
I know what you're saying purists. This is heresy...but...I'm not as sure as I once was after this...

I started thawing this Boston Butt at around 11am and didn't get it onto the Q until 5pm...smoked it for five hours until 10pm...with some spam of course.

This is about what it looked like an hour before I pulled it...

IMG_20220727_200747610~2.jpg

Spam was done at 10pm. Ate a little (used Jerk seasoning...yum)...put the rest in the freezer for beans.

IMG_20220727_220141930_HDR~2.jpg

Put the pork roast in a six quart crockpot with a cup of plain water, turned it on low, went to bed, got up at 7am and turned it of.

Nine AM, time to pull...

Bark? Check. Smoke ring? Check. Delicious? Check!

As good as a low and slow dry smoking?

It's really much closer than I ever would have thought possible.

And no stall...no temp probing...no waiting till two in the morning to pull.

I'm not sure I'll go back to the other way.

IMG_20220728_094003947~2.jpg

IMG_20220728_095839745~2.jpg

Last edited:
It certainly looks nice.
How'd you develop the bark?
I didn't do anything. It did it on it's own.

I literally poured in a cup of water, locked down the lid and set it to low.

It was red when it went in.

I was expecting it to come out looking exactly how it looked when it went in...but instead it look like almost exactly like a fully smoked butt.

Meat only takes smoke for the first few hours anyway. I have often thrown butts or other big pieces of meat, after smoking for a few hours, in the oven just to save on charcoal or wood.
Im a huge bbqer, and very picky, and i see nothing wrong with what you did. I might even try it next time. :)
Looks good, too :thup:

ohhh maybe some apple cidar vinegar with the water? Or replace the water with apple juice? Damn.. lol

I know what you're saying purists. This is heresy...but...I'm not as sure as I once was after this...

I started thawing this Boston Butt at around 11am and didn't get it onto the Q until 5pm...smoked it for five hours until 10pm...with some spam of course.

View attachment 675604

Spam was done at 10pm. Ate a little (used Jerk seasoning...yum)...put the rest in the freezer for beans.

View attachment 675605

Put the pork roast in a six quart crockpot with a cup of plain water, turned it on low, went to bed, got up at 7am and turned it of.

Nine AM, time to pull...

As good as a low and low and slow dry smoking?

View attachment 675608

View attachment 675606
A couple cans of Coke adds some sugars and flavor.

ohhh maybe some apple cidar vinegar with the water? Or replace the water with apple juice? Damn.. lol

When I was deployed to the Med, and whenever we pulled into Palma Mallorca, there was a little restaurant by the large church (trust me, if you're ever in Palma, you need to go to both places, the church is HUMONGOUS and the restaurant is great if it's still there), called Forn de St. Joan. They had sausages that were smoked and grilled, and then baked with apple juice. Talk about HEAVEN! Those were probably the best sausages I've ever had, and everytime we pulled into Palma I made at least 2 visits there just for their sausages that were finished with apple juice. Yeah, your instinct for replacing the water with apple juice is a good one. Pork and apple juice pair very well together when cooking.

I do something similar quite often for pulled pork, especially if .we are having guest and need it to be ready at a certain time.

On one day I will put a pork roast on my BGE and smoke until a good bark forms. Usually like four hours or so. Let it cool off and then put it in the refrigerator over night.

The next day I will put it in the crock pot or sometimes a dutch oven and slow cook it until very tender. Then shred it and keep it warm until served.

On one day I will put a pork roast on my BGE and smoke until a good bark forms. Usually like four hours or so. Let it cool off and then put it in the refrigerator over night.
I thought about trying this...but I was afraid it would change the structure the way cubed beef roast keeps its shape in stew after it's been refrigerated.

Nice to know it would have worked. Thanks.

Westwall's chronic masturbation habits shouldn't be discussed in the Food & Wine Forum.

OH!!! Pardon me. I thought it said Crackpot pulled pork! I regret the error.

I thought about trying this...but I was afraid it would change the structure the way cubed beef roast keeps its shape in stew after it's been refrigerated.

Nice to know it would have worked. Thanks.

I don't see any change in structure. Not for shredded pork.

By the way, when I cook it in the crock pot the second day I usually will use apple juice as the liquid. Dr Pepper works also.

I will also put in some onions to cook if it is going to be shredded up.

I usually take two days to cook a brisket.

The problem with a brisket is that it usually takes 1.5 hrs/lb to slow cook it. That means a 15-18 hour cook for most trimmed briskets. To have it ready at say 6 PM you have to put it in the night before.

I will do one of two things.

The first method is to separate the point from the flat and cook them separately. Since I usually do burnt ends with the point then it is not that big of a deal. That cuts the cooking time to about 1 hr/lb of meat. I can do that in one day.

However, lately I have been doing whole briskets in two days. Day one I cook for about six or seven hours until the internal is in the high 160sF and a good bark has formed. Then I wrap it and let it cool down until late evening, Then refrigerate it overnight. The next morning get it out and let it warm up for a couple of hours. The put it back on the BGE (wrapped) and cook low and slow. By mid afternoon the internal temp is usually around 205 or so. Take it out and let it rest until time for serving.

The brisket turns out just the same as if it had cooked straight through. Can't tell a difference. This way you don't have to worry about it being ready for serving at dinner time. I always put the brisket back on the smoker the second day but since it is already smoked and is wrapped I could just put it in the oven.

Pulled pork is pulled pork, "Purist" is usually code for pretentious douchebag.

Most people where I come from boil the roast, and then put it in a slow cooker overnight on low.

View attachment 675604

View attachment 675605

Nine AM, time to pull...

As good as a low and slow dry smoking?

View attachment 675608

View attachment 675606
I've taken to putting the smoke on it, then finishing it off in the oven. No worries about variation in oven temperature. No stoking and checking temps for hours.

I've taken to putting the smoke on it, then finishing it off in the oven. No worries about variation in oven temperature. No stoking and checking temps for hours.

Surprisingly ovens dont really hold temps very well.
They can fluctuate as much as 30 degrees both ways for a total of a 60 degree change.
I can hold temps on all of my BBQ pits far more accurately.

Forum List

Back