There was no slaughter of R's in 1996. R's gained 2 Senate seats

tinydancer

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2010
Piney
What's with all the wringing of hands and nashing of teeth? I was in a thread where another lib is spreading the lie that Republicans got killed in 1996.

That's a flat out lie.

Two Senate seats were gained. Majority maintained.

Only three seats were lost in Congress. Majority maintained.

:eusa_angel:

I'd say that's not too shabby considering Clinton was so popular at the time; his popularity never translated into votes for the Democrats though.

Check it out. Libs are lying thru their teeth when they try to claim Republicans "suffered" because of the shutdown.

Republicans retained an overall majority of seats in the House for the first time since the Great Depression. The election is similar to the 1952 House election, although this result remains one of the closest is U.S. history.

United States House of Representatives elections, 1996 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Despite the reelection of Clinton and Gore, and despite Democrats picking up a net two seats in the elections to the United States House of Representatives held the same day, the Republicans had a net gain of two seats in the Senate, following major Republican gains two years previously in the 1994 elections.

United States Senate elections, 1996 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here are the majority leaders!:eusa_angel: with R's behind their names.

148px-Trent_Lott_official_portrait.jpg

149px-NewtGingrich.jpg

Last edited:
1996 is irrelevant to today. so is 2008 and 2010. i suggest you stop being so simpleminded if you can

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/10/

POLITICO poll: Government shutdown backlash boosts Terry McAuliffe

Democrat Terry McAuliffe has opened up a significant lead over Republican Ken Cuccinelli in the Virginia governor’s race amid broad public disapproval of the federal government shutdown, according to a POLITICO poll of the 2013 gubernatorial election.

vapollswebteam.jpg

sure, the Republicans never have anything to worry about - their gerrymandering will surely take care of them again ... 2014.

I suspect very little will change after next years midterms the Senate will stay in Democrat control and the House in Republican and then everyone who predicated doom and disaster for one party or the other will either be strangely silent or suffer from a severe case of selective memory.

Democrat Terry McAuliffe has opened up a significant lead over Republican Ken Cuccinelli in the Virginia governor’s race amid broad public disapproval of the federal government shutdown, according to a POLITICO poll of the 2013 gubernatorial election.

vapollswebteam.jpg

sure, the Republicans never have anything to worry about - their gerrymandering will surely take care of them again ... 2014.

You folks seem to be forgetting that there is not another census till 2020 so districts won't change until at least 2022. Chew on that for a while.

vapollswebteam.jpg

You folks seem to be forgetting that there is not another census till 2020 so districts won't change until at least 2022. Chew on that for a while.

funny coming from someone in Texas - hows your redistricting going ?

* the courts have ways of changing things when enough are in agreement.

Bill Clinton ended 1994 with 40% approval rating. By the time election came around in 1996,
his approval was well over 50%.

Incumbents don't get re-elected to the presidency with 40% approval ratings.

That's where Republicans got killed, losing a good chance to beat Clinton.

vapollswebteam.jpg

And if anyone was beatable in that situation it was McAuliffe.

vapollswebteam.jpg

funny coming from someone in Texas - hows your redistricting going ?

* the courts have ways of changing things when enough are in agreement.

Haven't changed from last election and really don't expect them to.

What's with all the wringing of hands and nashing of teeth? I was in a thread where another lib is spreading the lie that Republicans got killed in 1996.
That's a flat out lie.

Bob Dole wasn’t a republican?

Unsurprisingly you’re either too ignorant or too much of a partisan hack to understand the disaster that was the 1995/96 GOP government shutdown.

Clinton was on his way to being a one-term president – until the republicans miscalculated with their ill-advised temper-tantrum; thanks to the shutdown Clinton was elected to a second term.

Clearly republicans are just as stupid today as they were then, that they’ve failed to learn from history is proof of that.

That's a flat out lie.

Unsurprisingly you’re either too ignorant or too much of a partisan hack to understand the disaster that was the 1995/96 GOP government shutdown.

Clinton was on his way to being a one-term president – until the republicans miscalculated with their ill-advised temper-tantrum; thanks to the shutdown Clinton was elected to a second term.

Clearly republicans are just as stupid today as they were then, that they’ve failed to learn from history is proof of that.

What, you think your dear leader will get another term? :eusa_whistle:

Bill Clinton ended 1994 with 40% approval rating. By the time election came around in 1996,
his approval was well over 50%.

Incumbents don't get re-elected to the presidency with 40% approval ratings.

That's where Republicans got killed, losing a good chance to beat Clinton.

Now you've just said his approval was over 50%in '96 and then negated your statement by saying Incumbents don't get re-elected to the presidency with 40% approval ratings.

One main reason Clinton got re elected was there was no competition. The inside the beltway R's ran Bob Dole.

:lol: You're just joking right?

That Bob Dole was going to take Bill Clinton?

That's a flat out lie.

But they lost the presidency by a huge margin... so there's that.

That's a flat out lie.

What, you think your dear leader will get another term? :eusa_whistle:

No, but do you think the GOP will ever regain the White House with the way they are going? :eusa_whistle:

That's a flat out lie.

Yep. Electoral vote landslide.

I suspect very little will change after next years midterms the Senate will stay in Democrat control and the House in Republican and then everyone who predicated doom and disaster for one party or the other will either be strangely silent or suffer from a severe case of selective memory.

Not if the US defaults.

That will change everything.

That's a flat out lie.

Yep. Electoral vote landslide.

It should also be pointed out that incumbant presidents RARELY have long coattails.

Bush only gained 3 seats in the Senate and 5 in the house (due to Gerrymandering in Texas).

Reagan only gained 16 seats in the House and LOST two Senate Seats despite a 49 State victory.

Not if the US defaults.

Big if and if it does happen there is no guarantee who will get blamed I suspect both parties will suffer.

Not if the US defaults.

Big if and if it does happen there is no guarantee who will get blamed I suspect both parties will suffer.

there is no reason to default

if there is a default that would because

obama broke the law and didnt pay it

by law we are required to pay the interest on the debt first above all

Forum List

Back