The Wuhan Virus Has Exposed Modern Americans’ Disconnect from Reality

Now this is some funny shit right there... I am a leftist.
Hilarious.
I never said that. I just copied and pasted it from Google. Being stoopid absolves me of all responsibility. You? :heehee:

Okay...great... I can say the source I copied from was wrong - PERFECT!!!.... now that we are past that...
DISPUTE THIS...
March 25th, 10 year old girl is 1st H1N1 case.
April 29th, first death in the U.S. 2 year old in Houston TX.
Search all day long.... you will find nothing else.

H1N1 killed exactly 0 people in the first month. Primarily, because it had little to no effect on a large % of the population. I myself had it. I barely had the sniffles. My son, however, was in the hospital for 6 days and was the scariest time in my life.
Covid-19, in the same time frame is devastatingly worse than H1N1. And is far-far - far more contagious.
so what happened it got so bad?

Time. It was not nearly as contagious. And, unlike Covid, most of the people who died were young or had underlying conditions that contributed to their death. Thank God H1N1 was not nearly as bad as Covid.
The math is very easy. Very.
If we use your source, the death rate of H1N1 was .02%.
As of today, CV-19 is 1 out of 55. almost 2%.
Can you see that is way-way-way worse?
I think that it's quite obvious that the hospitals are being overwhelmed in a lot of places.

If it is as bad as the flu, like some people claim, how come hospitals are not usually full of flu patients?

The Spanish Flu of 1918 may have been worse, but I'm not sure what kinds of medicines were available then.
where are hospitals overwhelmed? name one
The entire state of Virginia, which just put me under house arrest, has a grand total of 135 in hospitals from this bug. That’s not even a blip on the radar.
135 people in the hospital? Why, it's a wonder they don't have the National Guard patrolling the streets with orders to shoot on sight no questions asked! Thank God my state (nearby) hasn't gone totally ape shit yet (maybe because my state also leads the nation in the most armed hunters, I believe). Good luck with that.
News just in, Wuhan might be airborne, if you didn’t think it was a hoax now! That’s all you need
Hoax? I just predicted it in a post in another thread where authorities are encouraging folks to go out and take walks to remain healthy and to relieve stress. I don't see any way that the Wuhan Virus cannot be airborne to explain the spread of the virus around the world by human contact alone.

Fuck it. We’re all going to get it. How badly depends upon the health and age of each individual.
My wife and I have mostly isolated ourselves for over two weeks and we have been washing our hands like champion obsessive compulsives and we still both have contracted a head cold over the past week-and-a-half. (BTW, that’s a corona virus, too)

Stop your hyperbole. Nobody said it was a hoax. Like the flu every year, tens of thousands will die from a virus.

But we don’t send the world into a Great Depression over it.

We were probably heading into a recession anyway, but Trump's incompetent handling of this crisis will turn it into a recession.

To Paraphrase Ronald Reagan.

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job.
It's a Depression when you lose your job.
It's a recovery when Trump loses his job.

Hilarious.
I never said that. I just copied and pasted it from Google. Being stoopid absolves me of all responsibility. You? :heehee:

Okay...great... I can say the source I copied from was wrong - PERFECT!!!.... now that we are past that...
DISPUTE THIS...

H1N1 killed exactly 0 people in the first month. Primarily, because it had little to no effect on a large % of the population. I myself had it. I barely had the sniffles. My son, however, was in the hospital for 6 days and was the scariest time in my life.
Covid-19, in the same time frame is devastatingly worse than H1N1. And is far-far - far more contagious.

Time. It was not nearly as contagious. And, unlike Covid, most of the people who died were young or had underlying conditions that contributed to their death. Thank God H1N1 was not nearly as bad as Covid.
I think that it's quite obvious that the hospitals are being overwhelmed in a lot of places.

If it is as bad as the flu, like some people claim, how come hospitals are not usually full of flu patients?

The Spanish Flu of 1918 may have been worse, but I'm not sure what kinds of medicines were available then.
The entire state of Virginia, which just put me under house arrest, has a grand total of 135 in hospitals from this bug. That’s not even a blip on the radar.
135 people in the hospital? Why, it's a wonder they don't have the National Guard patrolling the streets with orders to shoot on sight no questions asked! Thank God my state (nearby) hasn't gone totally ape shit yet (maybe because my state also leads the nation in the most armed hunters, I believe). Good luck with that.
News just in, Wuhan might be airborne, if you didn’t think it was a hoax now! That’s all you need
Hoax? I just predicted it in a post in another thread where authorities are encouraging folks to go out and take walks to remain healthy and to relieve stress. I don't see any way that the Wuhan Virus cannot be airborne to explain the spread of the virus around the world by human contact alone.
well if it's airborne, no human contact is necessary. just kill everyone. fk, amazing how insane even a gop'r will go. good thing we have gravity.

Fuck it. We’re all going to get it. How badly depends upon the health and age of each individual.
My wife and I have mostly isolated ourselves for over two weeks and we have been washing our hands like champion obsessive compulsives and we still both have contracted a head cold over the past week-and-a-half. (BTW, that’s a corona virus, too)
and why we shouldn't be imprisoned. Colds will never go away. this is all insane. Insanity, when the sheeples believe anything now. Say it long enough and people will buy in. Not me.

"Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it have never known it again." Ronald Reagan

Sitting here in gub'mit lockdown makes it mighty hard to disagree with RR

~S~
/----/ One of the few times I disagreed with RR. The French regained their freedom after WWII, and Poland after the fall of the USSR -- to name a few.

"Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom and then lost it have never known it again." Ronald Reagan

Sitting here in gub'mit lockdown makes it mighty hard to disagree with RR

~S~
/----/ One of the few times I disagreed with RR. The French regained their freedom after WWII, and Poland after the fall of the USSR -- to name a few.
They did not willingly surrender their freedoms as is occurring here now, that was RR’s point.

“CDC estimates that so far this season there have been at least 39 million flu illnesses, 400,000 hospitalizations and 24,000 deaths from flu.”

dude, I've been posting that. The number of deaths jumped by 1000 since the count of the wuhan has been going up. it's at 3000. The flu has been going since october and is on its downward trend. the number of deaths in the US for Wuhan, isn't close to catching that flu number at the current rate. these schmucks are goofy.

Hilarious.

DISPUTE THIS...

well if it's airborne, no human contact is necessary. just kill everyone. fk, amazing how insane even a gop'r will go. good thing we have gravity.
Well of course it is airborn, stupid. Find me one expert who says it isn't! Tell me how it got to Greenland? If it can be airborne by coughing in an aerosol, then it can be carried by the wind in the water vapor aerosol already there.

It’s sad and disgusting how easily so many surrendered their basic human rights with so little facts provided.

While the experts claim that little is known about the Wuhan virus, enough is known to suggest that the response has been excessive. While there is a worrying possibility that the Wuhan virus will make a sizable impact on public health (along with the possibility that it probably won’t), the hype surrounding it has already created a huge imposition on daily life and cost the global economy trillions of dollars. Everyone must “do their part” to confront the pandemic or face the wrath of their conscientious peers.

This kind of hype and the subsequent reaction to it seems to grow worse with each year. Right before the Wuhan virus, there was President Trump’s “historic” impeachment. And before that, there was the death of General Qasem Soleimani and the possibility of World War III. And before that, in no particular order, there was the imminent climate catastrophe, Russian collusion and the Mueller report, the Amazon rainforest burning down, and periodic nuclear threats from North Korea.

People should know better by now, yet they seem to fall for the hype every time—including many conservatives. The promise of the tech age and the ubiquity of smartphones and the internet was that it would arm people with relevant information and rational courses of action. Rather, it has done the opposite—magnifying doubts and fears about everything and everyone.

In most cases, the only thing that information technology has done is cause people to become less tethered to reality. Screens now replace people’s senses, and the algorithms embedded in social media do people’s thinking for them.

As such, most people spend more time in the virtual world and less time in the real one, making them ever more vulnerable to exaggerated doomsday narratives. In particular, this retreat from reality takes a toll on a person’s memory, imagination, and common sense.

Remember swine flu? Or bird flu? Or Ebola? Or Zika? Or SARS? Each of these diseases from the past two decades was arguably worse than the Wuhan virus. In the case of swine flu, more than 1,000 people died from it before Obama declared a state of emergency. Big Tech and the mainstream news will never report this. And yet, for all their distrust of the media, people still seem inclined to believe the pundits and clueless scientists over their own experience.

This then leads to a lack of context. Everything seems new and unprecedented, and therefore unknown and scary—except that this isn’t true. Pandemics have alwaysexisted, and there are proven ways to deal with them that don’t involve shutting down the economy and putting everyone under house arrest.

Only a stupid fuck would make these claims after seeing the numbers we are seeing now right here in the US>

I sincerely hope all you assholes ignore everything & gfo & hang out together, get sick & die on thev street when there is no room in the hospital.

It’s sad and disgusting how easily so many surrendered their basic human rights with so little facts provided.

While the experts claim that little is known about the Wuhan virus, enough is known to suggest that the response has been excessive. While there is a worrying possibility that the Wuhan virus will make a sizable impact on public health (along with the possibility that it probably won’t), the hype surrounding it has already created a huge imposition on daily life and cost the global economy trillions of dollars. Everyone must “do their part” to confront the pandemic or face the wrath of their conscientious peers.

This kind of hype and the subsequent reaction to it seems to grow worse with each year. Right before the Wuhan virus, there was President Trump’s “historic” impeachment. And before that, there was the death of General Qasem Soleimani and the possibility of World War III. And before that, in no particular order, there was the imminent climate catastrophe, Russian collusion and the Mueller report, the Amazon rainforest burning down, and periodic nuclear threats from North Korea.

People should know better by now, yet they seem to fall for the hype every time—including many conservatives. The promise of the tech age and the ubiquity of smartphones and the internet was that it would arm people with relevant information and rational courses of action. Rather, it has done the opposite—magnifying doubts and fears about everything and everyone.

In most cases, the only thing that information technology has done is cause people to become less tethered to reality. Screens now replace people’s senses, and the algorithms embedded in social media do people’s thinking for them.

As such, most people spend more time in the virtual world and less time in the real one, making them ever more vulnerable to exaggerated doomsday narratives. In particular, this retreat from reality takes a toll on a person’s memory, imagination, and common sense.

Remember swine flu? Or bird flu? Or Ebola? Or Zika? Or SARS? Each of these diseases from the past two decades was arguably worse than the Wuhan virus. In the case of swine flu, more than 1,000 people died from it before Obama declared a state of emergency. Big Tech and the mainstream news will never report this. And yet, for all their distrust of the media, people still seem inclined to believe the pundits and clueless scientists over their own experience.

This then leads to a lack of context. Everything seems new and unprecedented, and therefore unknown and scary—except that this isn’t true. Pandemics have alwaysexisted, and there are proven ways to deal with them that don’t involve shutting down the economy and putting everyone under house arrest.

Only a stupid fuck would make these claims after seeing the numbers we are seeing now right here in the US>

I sincerely hope all you assholes ignore everything & gfo & hang out together, get sick & die on thev street when there is no room in the hospital.
What numbers? The 24,000 that have died from the flu this season?

One of the main characteristics this thing has "exposed" is how consumed with ugly partisan politics so much of this country has become.

One end attacks everything Trump is a part of, the other end spins for it and defends it. Then they both attack each other.

Outside of the brave people who are putting their lives on the line to help the sick, there hasn't been a great deal to be proud of.

Hilarious.

DISPUTE THIS...

Well of course it is airborn, stupid. Find me one expert who says it isn't! Tell me how it got to Greenland? If it can be airborne by coughing in an aerosol, then it can be carried by the wind in the water vapor aerosol already there.
/——-/“Tell me how it got to Greenland?”
The Vikings?

101 killed in chicago this year and 79 deaths to Wuhan. hmmmmmm hospitals are full of shooting victims.

Hilarious.

DISPUTE THIS...

if you cough, it is spit, and that will fall to the floor after the airborne ejection. but it won't fly to greenland. just saying. Especially if you're in your house, like all good sheeple we are.

One of the main characteristics this thing has "exposed" is how consumed with ugly partisan politics so much of this country has become.

One end attacks everything Trump is a part of, the other end spins for it and defends it. Then they both attack each other.

Outside of the brave people who are putting their lives on the line to help the sick, there hasn't been a great deal to be proud of.
Nope.
Many conservatives are questioning the extreme response to this virus and are commenting on the lack of supporting data as well as how easily so many surrender their basic human rights.

Guess who’s running that show? Trump.
So insert your ‘partisan’ where the sun don’t shine.

Nope.
Many conservatives are questioning the extreme response to this virus and are commenting on the lack of supporting data as well as how easily so many surrender their basic human rights.

EXACTLY.

the experts, the experts my ass. no self thinking man or woman would just accept the numbers presented. there is no evidence of such a thing, china was ground zero and no numbers to base any of this off of because they lie. we had over a thousand and shut the country down, put people out of work crashed 401ks and Older folks IRAs, and all the sheep stood and obeyed. Not I. I use my learned hygiene to avoid getting sick. I don't need to stay locked in a room.

As I said, go out & lick the cart handles in the return bins at Walmart. Get the virus. & when the local hospital has no ventilator, you can die in agony.

Well, the flu kills this many & gun violence kills that many & then auto accidents...... so we should not give a flying fuck because this new virus that is very contagious & for which we have no cure should be ignored.

What a fucking moron you are.

Nope.

Many conservatives are dumber than shit. Thanks for admittying that.

• Thanks
Reactions: xyz

Forum List

Back