The World Cup discussion thread

Hate diving in football.
Each case should be thoroughly checked by VAR and punished with cards. Else such players like Ronaldo, Nani, Neymar, Young, etc.will be supposed stars... I think, if you pretend to be a good football player you should play football good and nothing more. Children look at them and do the same...they see their actions and understand cheating is ok.

You know, observing this Cup I get huge pleasure from foreigners' impressions of Russia.
A lot of stereotypes crashed, a lot of new they have known about Russia and Russians.
They are surprised with modern developed infrastructure though Obama said our economy is torn into pieces...
But the most important is that sport event itself is organized at the highest level and let sport win politics!

And FIFA President Gianni Infantino is confirming your point :

I think we have to invent new words to describe this World Cup. It’s really fantastic. Everything is great, the atmosphere is incredible, the people are unbelievable, the matches are great. It’s just a great event, the greatest show on Earth!

I think Russia has really set a new benchmark. The 11 host cities are incredible. The stadiums are of course fantastic and everyone can see that. On TV, those who attend the matches, stadiums are state of the art. Each and every one of the 12 stadiums. But more than that - the cities - the cities are beautiful, they are so rich in history, in culture. Some say that many people don’t know and discover it only thanks to this World Cup. The people, 17,000 volunteers, who are the face of Russia, but not only volunteers, all the people on the streets and the restaurants and the cafes, around the cities, the policemen –men and women - in Russia are smiling.

Well, the help of President Putin and the whole Russian government has been crucial for the success of this World Cup. I have never witnessed such a big commitment from the top to the bottom finally.

Everything was impressive. I was impressed to discover a country I didn’t know so far. I thought I knew Russia, but the realty has been exceeding all my expectations, not only about football, but the richness of this country in terms of culture, heritage, history. And this is something that is part of humanity. It’s part of the world. And is something the world should know as well. And the world is starting to know and is knowing now thanks to the World Cup.

No more fearing about Russia and about whatever violence, or discrimination or God knows what. Nothing of this has happened. Nothing is more far from reality. Some others were fearing that Russia is not a football country. Well, I think at the latest since this World Cup Russia is one of the biggest football countries. In the world, not only on the pitch, but also outside of the pitch.

hundreds of thousands of people from all over the world coming to Russia, celebrating on Red Square, celebrating everywhere with their shirts of their colors of their national teams, of their countries altogether, together with the Russians. And this is the real Russia, not the Russia that some people want us to believe what it is. This is Russia, the Russia that we can see, an open country, a welcoming country, hospitable country, a country where many millions of people are living, like in any other part of the world. And where many millions of people show that they welcome the world.

FIFA President lauds 'fantastic' Russia-hosted World Cup

I like the look of the Belgians. They seem to be more of a team than the others I have seen in the Tournament. I think that they can beat France and go on to win it.

It would be amazing for them to do so but also a stark lesson for the big boys.

Spain
France
Germany
Italy (dnq)
Brazil
Argentina.

All have great players and all are flawed as teams. (France may shock us yet I suppose)

I am struggling to think of any of the greats who have enhanced their reputations in the competition. Ronaldo maybe, Suarez yes.

Coutinho - no
Neymar -no
Messi - no
Aguero - no
None of the Germans

Of the new breed these have caught the eye.
Mbappe
De Bruyne
Kane
Have I missed anyone ?

Is the World Cup now second to the Champions League ?

England up 1-0 at the half. Imagine a Russia/England semis? Oh my that would be very personal for both governments...

Update: 2-0!

Last edited:
Yay!

upload_2018-7-7_17-18-31.jpeg

Which flag will you be flying next, eh Tammy? :eusa_think:

Last edited:
I have to root for England for Great Great Great Great Grandpa.

I saw a couple of flags waving outside of vehicles. I only gave a thumbs up to the one in which he also flew a Canadian flag on the other side.

I'm not big on people flying just one. You're in Canada now pal, the Old Country is just that, the Old Country.

I have mixed feelings about this match.

On the one hand, a good friend of mine is Russian and Russia is one of the feel-good aspects of the tournament.

On the other hand, I’m cheering for England to win it all, and I think I’d rather England play Croatia, even though they are more talented than Russia.

I told my Russian friend after Russia beat Saudi Arabia that Russia would win the World Cup. I was only joking, but they are starting to look like a team of destiny.

On the one hand, a good friend of mine is Russian and Russia is one of the feel-good aspects of the tournament.

On the other hand, I’m cheering for England to win it all, and I think I’d rather England play Croatia, even though they are more talented than Russia.

I told my Russian friend after Russia beat Saudi Arabia that Russia would win the World Cup. I was only joking, but they are starting to look like a team of destiny.
Its started off in the same way as the Russia / Spain match. I think the Croats need to score first.

Its started off in the same way as the Russia / Spain match. I think the Croats need to score first.
Really?
Are you in some parallel reality?

Forum List

Back